Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's just over a year since I ERed. My spending patterns are now set and I'm comfortable with them. I just completed a solo cross country bicycle ride that took me over some impressive peaks and I also met some great people along the way. I got back to a big fat check from the state as my $15k income means that the state will pay 90% of my Cadillac health plan....that ironically I buy from the state. In a year I'll get a state pension and along with rental income that will give me $36k annual income. I won't qualify for the subsidy anymore, but my health premium will go to $95/month. I still keep an eye out for the perfect job....but the need for program managers and optical engineers in astronomy projects isn't vast when you add the restriction of not moving. I could do defense space stuff, but with dual US/UK citizenship a clearance is problematic. So I'll concentrate on home projects, cycling and navigating the retirement landscape to maximize my income.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
It's just over a year since I ERed. My spending patterns are now set and I'm comfortable with them. I just completed a solo cross country bicycle ride that took me over some impressive peaks and I also met some great people along the way.
What was the total distance? What path of states did you go through? Any issues?

I have talked with several people that have done the same thing. It is an adventure I would think would be excellent. It's always interesting to hear the stories, and the paths they take. Sometimes even an impromptu 200+ mile detour, just to see something.

Maybe someday...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Total distance was 4000 miles across the Cascades in WA and the Continental Divide in Western Montana, then ND, MN, WI, MI, Ontario, NY, and MA. The only issue I had was two days from the finish when I got ill and had to rest.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
One year post ER report
Old 08-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

One year post ER report

Nun, I've been considering the same ride, but apprehensive being a lone female cycling across country. May consider joining an organized ride, but not sure I want to be tied to a fixed schedule. Did you keep a journal or blog? Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Total distance was 4000 miles across the Cascades in WA and the Continental Divide in Western Montana, then ND, MN, WI, MI, Ontario, NY, and MA. The only issue I had was two days from the finish when I got ill and had to rest.
Wow! very impressive! Were you riding alone?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very Cool!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Nun, I've been considering the same ride, but apprehensive being a lone female cycling across country. May consider joining an organized ride, but not sure I want to be tied to a fixed schedule. Did you keep a journal or blog? Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I posted picture to friends and family on facebook.

You are actually seldom alone as you often hook up with other people riding. One thing I did was stay with Warmshowers.org hosts on many nights. If you go on an organized trip it will be more expensive that if you freestyle it.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

Organize night bike rides to cool star-gazing sites.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #9

Impressive. Congrats on the year and the ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

Very cool. I can't even imagine doing something like this. Way to go.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote