Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious: what do you do in the case of twisters/hurricanes?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember my aunt and uncle saying that the park models were "tied down" but I doubt that would help much in a tornado or hurricane. The only time they mentioned really bad weather was the day of "the flood". They received a large rainfall and the water was high enough to flood their park's streets with some parkmodel owners getting some water inside.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Actually, severe weather threats are much rarer here than just a few hundred miles north. Twisters are almost unheard of. Hail extremely rare. High winds at times, but obviously the housing here survives them.

And hurricanes occur completely outside of the winter texan "season". Even so, hurricanes hitting the RGV are much rarer than most of the gulf coast for some reason, and a lot of the RGV cities are pretty far inland from the coast and well out of storm surge.

Audrey
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

As the OP was asking about the Phoenix Metropolitan area, what twister? What hurricane?

And about rain, can we have some more, please?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those Park Model homes look great! Very much along the lines of the Tiny House. Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My new toy, a recently acquired 26' class C, is far roomier than the smaller ones of the Tumbleweed Houses. And it's on wheels, so I can take it with me! Living inside one of these small dwellings makes you feel like a kid again, in a tree house, albeit a nicer one with a real kitchen and bathroom.

Will see if we still like it after we survive a real trip, like to Alaska.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thought I would chime in here since we have chosen a park model to be our home base while in the States.

As KevinK mentioned, we did a piece on living in one of these resort areas and I called it ‘Worry-Free’ Housing because of the reasons we chose this style of living:

* Value for money spent
* Lots of activities, amenities and neighborhood involvement
* Clean environment, manicured gardens
* Release from the burden of high property taxes
* Savings on home owners insurance
* Savings on transportation
* Reasonable maintenance costs
* Safety

While I fully realize this isn’t the choice for everyone, there are lots of reasons why someone would select this type of housing and lifestyle.

As other posters have recommended, I would rent before you buy so you will know if you like that particular resort, your neighbors, the weather, the location itself and how close it is to shopping or out-of-the-park activities - which you will want to have. Building a life outside the resort is important also.

The best time to purchase is right before the annual rent/lease is due and to purchase from a previous owner instead of from a real estate office or the central office in the park. You will save thousands of dollars this way, and the used models generally will come completely furnished - including sheets, towels, tools, kitchen and cleaning supplies. The way you will know places are for sale - besides the community board or the central office - is to ask your neighbors.

Park model living is very efficient. There is no room for collecting ‘stuff’ and you don’t have a 2 car garage to fill up. If someone gets to the point where they can’t or shouldn’t be driving, you will have dozens and dozens of neighbors to choose from who will give you a lift to anywhere you need to go.

Weather in the desert: People either like it or they don’t. Personally I do. I don’t hole up in my house if I am there during the sun season - everyplace is air conditioned - houses, cars, stores, theaters, restaurants… Life goes on as normal and I would prefer the heat of an Arizona summer than the cold, slush and drabness of a winter up north. But that is me.

How to choose a resort/park? You can check this Resource Page
or this Directory Page for starters.

Hope this helps your friend.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer’s Guide to Chapala Living
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
GTFO...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote