Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many square feet of living space do you want in your ER house?
1500' or more 36 27.91%
2000' or more 29 22.48%
2500' or more 21 16.28%
3000' or more 4 3.10%
4000' or more 2 1.55%
less than 1500' 37 28.68%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Optimum house size for early retirees in the USA
Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Jeff, for numerous reasons we are enjoying living in the apartment more than the condo.

1) We were living in San Francisco and we got a lot of outside noise. We are now living feet away from a lagoon. No cars drive by. We get some noise from planes off in the distance flying into SFO, but their a ways off.

2) When we lived in the condo we felt more responsible for things that were broken etc. in the building. Mostly because we paid 780.00 a month for HOA dues and it would get me upset if things weren't taken care of. The building had a security and concierge at the entrance of the building, but they didn't always do their job very well, it made me nervous. I'd rather live in an apartment/condo that is not enclosed.

3) The neighbors we have now are all very nice and generally everyone is quiet.

4) Dogs were allowed in the condo and you would smell pee in the carpeted halls and elevator. Dogs are not allowed here at the apartment complex. Cats are suppose to stay indoors.

5) The condo did not have any guest parking, street parking was difficult, here at the apartment we have plenty of street and guest parking.

6) The HOA office was on site, but never returned phone calls or emails. I could go on with the HOA but I'll stop here. Now the apartment management is on site, very responsive and proactive if you have a problem.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You don't live in Foster City do you Jane? I used to live in an apartment there and I can see why you would prefer it over San Francisco living. The city was literally forged out of nothingness to be the perfect residential community. But man, what a cultural wasteland the suburbs are compared with the city.

Someone said the suburbs are designed to remove all external stimuli. No crime, no noise, no strangers, few hassles. It makes sense if you have a family or something to focus on. But for a single person like myself I find that having removed all that external stimuli makes things a bit dull.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, Jane -- thanks very much for your reply. Sounds like a good place to live . . ..
Old 10-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

free4now, yes it is FC. It is totally different from the City. We still visit friends there, so we do get our City fix. I was born in SF but have always been a small town girl at heart, so it was nice to move out. Actually, we have been busier and meeting more people in FC than when we lived in SF.

As a single guy or gal FC is probably not the ideal place to live, it is very family oriented and not much happens here.

Jeff, it is a nice place to live and your welcome.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two of us live in a 1260-sq-ft, 3-BR, 2-bath house.

I would like a house with a bigger living room than what we have. I would also be willing to have just one nice big bathroom instead of two and then have the bigger living room and/or bigger bedrooms. I'm thinking 1500-2000 sq ft would be nice, but if I could find one we like with just one bathroom, maybe 1500 sq ft would be enough.

Newer houses come with multiple bathrooms, but the older houses with single bathrooms present more maintenance problems than a newer one.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #26

We currently live in a 2000 square foot home with an additional 500 in a finished basement with a 2 car garage and one acre of landscaped lot with an inground pool. Too much work and we are thinking of downsizing in a couple of years to a 1500 to 1800 condo or a townhouse in the same area. We are 30 minutes to Boston and Providence, 45 minutes to cape cod and we also like to stay close to family and friends.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #27

1400 sq ft villa all on one floor works well for DW and I. Only the MBR on the main floor along with a home office. We also have a partially finished basement of about 800 sq ft (rec room, guest bedroom, bath) for occasional guests and lots of storage in the unfinished area. Would not really use any more space than that.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #28

We live in 1700 sq ft more or less. Far more than enough for two of us.

I wanted a house of my own for the longest time -- when I finally had the job security and savings to buy one in No. Ca. I was very happy... but... now that FI is closer and long-term travel is more possible, I'm chafing at having to clean and maintain this place. I've been thinking "houseboat" for a while but DP isn't quite there yet. He's moving in my direction though, bwahhhh hahhhhh hahhhhhhhhh!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #29

My guess would be about 1500 sq/ft. That is very dependent on the layout of the house though. After my last deal blew up (still fighting with the contractor to get most of my money back) me and the DW started looking at other preexisting houses and a well designed 1500 sq/ft house is about the smallest I'd be able to comfortably live in.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #30

I live in a 1200 sq ft townhome with 2 bds, 2 full baths. I have no yard only a front porch. It's new, so there's virtually no upkeep, except housecleaning and ocassional decorating.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Small, super-insulated house with one bedroom and his and hers baths, open living room and kitchen. 24' square, covered patio between house and garage. The garage has 2 offices, spare bedroom w/bath and one car space w/workshop. The patio with its hammock is our favorite room. The offices separated from the living area is a good lay-out for ER couples who are adjusting to being together every day instead of just nights and weekends. We had a similar set-up in town, but there it was vertical on separate floors. We moved to the country for single-story living.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #32

Your house sounds great, heyyou!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, would y'all keep it down? I've got 4500+ sf and I'm counting on at least one person out there not reading all this and still wanting to buy a big place. (Then we can move out to our 420 sf cabing in the woods!)
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, at the moment my wife and I are planning on retiring to hike the appalachian trail for 6 months (so a tent has like .. 15 sqft?), and then onto a boat and sail around the world a few times. I believe that this boat would have much less than 1500 sqft (because I'm not working until I can afford a large one), so I'm going to mark that category.

Not really sure what we'll do after that, but we're pretty young and have some time to think up something else suitably different
Old 10-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #35

Hey LifeisGood, I like your shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
Well, at the moment my wife and I are planning on retiring to hike the appalachian trail for 6 months (so a tent has like .. 15 sqft?),
I'm trying to get myself psyched up for a 2 week Pacific Crest Trail hike - 6 months, yikes! What kind of bedding do you bring?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #36

Our house is 1630 square foot and sets on a half-acre lot in a cul-de-sac surrounded by Ponerosa Pines. We actually could have bought a new 2500 square foot house for about the same price, except we didn't think we'd have enough elbow room on a tenth of an acre (which most new home around here are built on). We also have a 24x24 shop on our property. I think my wife and I have more than enough room for the two of us.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #37

I like this thread because it is more like a poll then offering advice. But I do wonder what the best approach is to optimizing a house for retirement. At 1,000 sq ft, I don't plan to downsize but it does seem like a good strategy for some folks but doesn't seem to have shown up on this thread.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I like this thread because it is more like a poll then offering advice. But I do wonder what the best approach is to optimizing a house for retirement. At 1,000 sq ft, I don't plan to downsize but it does seem like a good strategy for some folks but doesn't seem to have shown up on this thread.
I did it and it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Of course, my downsizing was pretty draconian.

JG
Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
Well, at the moment my wife and I are planning on retiring to hike the appalachian trail for 6 months (so a tent has like .. 15 sqft?), and then onto a boat and sail around the world a few times. I believe that this boat would have much less than 1500 sqft (because I'm not working until I can afford a large one), so I'm going to mark that category.
Ceberon,
If you need a lift from Atlanta to the Springer Mountain trailhead let me know.
Mrs. Sailor and myself might through-hike AT some day - so far we did Georgia part and some Carolinas pieces.
Sailor
PS: What kind of a boat?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I live in a house about 2500sf. If I could figure out a way to saw off the top floor (about half of the sf) I think that we could comfortably live in what would be left, which is what is now the ground floor. Of course I assume that my property taxes ($4000) would be halved also.

Anyone want a free top floor? It's yours for the taking, but you will have to pay the cost of sawing and hauling. 8)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote