Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many square feet of living space do you want in your ER house?
1500' or more 36 27.91%
2000' or more 29 22.48%
2500' or more 21 16.28%
3000' or more 4 3.10%
4000' or more 2 1.55%
less than 1500' 37 28.68%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Optimum house size for early retirees in the USA
Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Greg says sure, if he gets the roof too.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

In regard to downsizing, we used to have about 3000 sq ft but I think around 2000' would be just fine. After looking at a number of houses we're running into a different issue. It's proving hard to find a modern home in this size range that we actually like. Builders usually put bigger more expensive houses on the decent lots so we are seeing a lot of tiny yards or boxy 1970's vintage ranch homes that we don't care for. Also, the construction quality seems inferior on many of the smaller houses. The search continues...

Old 10-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I consider out-structure space and acreage as important as house space.

A barn or large shed reduces my required house space significantly.

SG, My sentiment exactly, although my out-structure/acreage requirements are of the liquid variety
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewHomestead2.JPG (59.0 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb NewHomestead2.JPG_thumb (25.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2006, 11:58 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a terrific view! Where is this, TargaDave?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I did it and it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Of course, my downsizing was pretty draconian.
JG
Us too. From 5000sf to 2000sf. From 1.2 acres to 3300sf penthouse footprint in the sky. From oversized 3-car garage (900sf) to 2 cars in covered, controlled, shared garage. Storage room of 50sf.

Draconian, I'll say. But it is amazing what time it frees up. Just trimming the 180 trees and burning the clippings took many Saturdays. No more lawn cutting (ride-on tractor, gas mower, gas trimmer)!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #46

We existed (DINK's) in an 1100 sq ft house for 15 years before moving to 2800 sq ft a couple of years before retirement. I can't figure out where we kept all that stuff in the former house, because it expaned to fit the new house immediately. I can't imagine living in a smaller house now. The move looked pretty smart from an investment perspective, and since we plan to stay here long term, the real estate bubble doesn't bother us. When the time comes that we can't take care of each other, the house should fund the final phase.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
What a terrific view! Where is this, TargaDave?
OBX, Kill Devil Hills, Soundside boating community. Not everyones cup of tea but just right for us. Oh yeah, from 3800 sq ft on our way down to 1500 sq ft
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I did retirement counseling for DOD civilians for 2 years. One guy was 65 and was very concerned about retirement. He felt he needed to work another two years (age 67) to retire. We estimated that he would be receiving over $4000 a month in steady cash flow between all his pensions.

Here's the problem: This idiot recently built his wife a 4800 square foot dream home to enjoy in retirement. Ugh! I can see why he's concered about having enough money to pay the mortgage.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Currently at 1650sf...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I'm trying to get myself psyched up for a 2 week Pacific Crest Trail hike - 6 months, yikes! What kind of bedding do you bring?
Well, in general most people start hiking in the spring in Georgia, following the warm weather, so theoretically you don't need incredibly heavy sleep wear. Depending on when you start, you can always switch to cooler bedding materials once the weather turns.

I can't give much more information than that, as all of my information is book (/ messageboards / personal advice / etc) based. I've never gone for more than a 1.5 week trip. It's just one of those things on my list that needs to be done
Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Ceberon,
If you need a lift from Atlanta to the Springer Mountain trailhead let me know.
Mrs. Sailor and myself might through-hike AT some day - so far we did Georgia part and some Carolinas pieces.
Sailor
PS: What kind of a boat?
Well, first of all, my wife and I are both 29, and we're planning on retiring at 40, so we still have a bit of time before we'll need a lift. If all things go according to plans though, I'll still be posting here, and we'll see who is around

As for the boat, we don't own it yet, so it's certainly a toss-up. A lot depends on our financial situation (I'm leaning towards retiring at 40, and our expenses will just need to follow however much we have at the time.).

We might go for a catamaran to tour the Caribbean (BVI, Bahamas, etc) for a few years, and then keep open the option to purchase something a bit more blue-water worthy for our around-the-world tour. Or perhaps we might find a cat we'd feel comfortable with on such a tour. Or perhaps we'll find a lovely mono-hull which we'll take to the Carib, and stay with that the whole time. Not entirely sure.

I have all the boat shows in our area (Chicago) blocked off on our calendar for the next few years, so we can start getting a better picture of the types of boats we like. My wife's father also owns a 35 footer on Lake Michigan we can get some experience with.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

The wife and I currently occupy a 4100SF 5BR home, which we will sell when we RE, using the funds to purchase our retirement home. I am still working on convincing her that 2000-3000 SF (total, with basement) is more than enough for our retirement home, as long as it has a large shop building too.

She keeps showing me listings for these enormous homes that I'd rather not maintain, and I know she couldn't keep clean/dusted anyway. It's going to take a while to persuade her that all those rooms we don't use today are unnecessary and wasted square footage in our next home

I think 2500 is a nice size.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our current house, which is where I'll stay after RE, is a bit less than 1500sf. I have a 2-car garage that is converted as a workshop/woodshop. I built on a 12' x 20' addition to the end of the garage for my model RR addiction. I also have 10' x 8' garden shed. And I'm considering building a small greenhouse next year. The house has 2 patios...one covered...one not. If the weather is at all reasonable....I spend almost ALL of my time outside....gardening, landscaping, (or pondering what I want to accomplish out there next) or charring a slab o' cow!!! :

This is all on about 1/4 acre. There is plenty of room...inside and out....for the 2 of us, so we aren't on each others nerves......at least not ALL the time.

Plus every year, I see to it that there are more perennial gardens/landscape, and less grass!!! Thus freeing up more time to travel!!!