Organizing your time in retirement (WP article)

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Saw this in today's Washington Post and seemed like it might be worth sharing / discussing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/06/22/no-longer-slaves-to-the-clock-retirees-need-to-consider-new-ways-to-organize-time/

The article doesn't really contain any fascinating insights, but it's worthy of a quick read-through. One interesting quote from the article:
Many people may think they still need to be productive eight hours a day, without even considering that eight-hour days were simply a product of the thoughts of social theorist Robert Owen during the late 1800s as part of the Industrial Revolution. Owen, who operated the New Lanark mine in Scotland, was actually trying to stop the practice of people working more than eight hours. His slogan was "Eight hours of labor, eight hours of recreation, and eight hours of rest."

Interesting article. One of the highlights for my retirement is not having to really have a schedule. We do have a dog that has to have meds every 12 hours...so I do keep track of that.

Oddly enough, when I was w*rking, I HATED getting up in the AM. Now, 18 months into retirement, I am usually up with my DW around 7 and getting my day going. I am rarely tired at the end of the day and on occasion, I do get a nice afternoon nap. When I first retired, I slept in fairly regularly but found out that the days were just going by WAY TOO FAST.

So, even though I don't set out to do anything specific on most days, I do like having all the daylight hours available to me for anything that might come along. Plus, I enjoy having coffee out on the back deck, and if it's much later than 9 AM...it's getting too hot out to enjoy it.

One retiree that I know chose the swing shift for decades back when he was working. He has pretty much kept the same hours in retirement, staying up late and sleeping until noon or later.

As for me, I used to be sitting at my desk and ready to go by 6 AM when I was working. I never get up that early any more, though. :D I thought I was a morning person until I retired.

Also, I don't feel a need to deliberately fill my daily schedule with pseudo-work. There are so many opportunities for recreation and fun in today's world, that I don't get bored. I do like having a loose routine, though, so I give the author that much. Also I make a point of getting out of the house at least once every day.

We don't have a daily schedule, but most days one or both of us have some kind of outing planned, like an activity with one of the senior clubs, a play, museum visit or concert. We have memberships in various senior clubs, seat filler subscriptions and nonprofits so our weeks usually fill up.

We also like to spend time on the patio. Lately it has been hot so we have coffee early in the morning and maybe wine after it cools off. I have the backyard decorated with solar lights so it is fun to sit out even after dark.

Last edited:
Currently, I study, nap, read at my favorite cafe in the afternoons. That will probably change whenever it does. I have no concerns with how to "fill up my days". In terms of "having a reason to get up in the morning", I told a friend just last week I get up in the morning because there is always something to do.

Something else I have noticed is that my day seems to get filled up with things to do pretty quickly. It's very rare when I have to look around for something that needs to be taken care of. Rare is the day that I truly do NOTHING. Perhaps some of it is doing many of the chores around the house that used to be done on the weekends. Now, the DW is free to relax at the pool without having to worry about chores. I wonder how everything got done when I was still w*rking?

Something else I have noticed is that my day seems to get filled up with things to do pretty quickly. It's very rare when I have to look around for something that needs to be taken care of. Rare is the day that I truly do NOTHING. Perhaps some of it is doing many of the chores around the house that used to be done on the weekends. Now, the DW is free to relax at the pool without having to worry about chores. I wonder how everything got done when I was still w*rking?
My thoughts exactly. Especially during the summer months.

+2

Yeah, I kind of wonder how I got it all done too. But then again, when I do something now, I go down any rabbit hole that I find along the way, lol! I also do things with more thought toward enjoying it and less about getting it done.

Certainly no alarm clocks in my life (except for when I'm traveling).

I do feel like making at least some "accomplishments" each day, and usually have that knocked-out before lunch. Of course they could be pretty simple (ordering that thing I've been wanting, adding a feature to one of my apps, researching something I've been wondering about, cutting a few more feet on a proposed MTB trail, getting another chapter read in a self-help book, etc). I really would like to have a regular routine for exercise and meditation, but that hasn't happened (yet?) I do get both done, but not on a schedule.

The days fill-up too quickly! And if they don't there's always posting here ;)

+1 Exactly...
Yesterday turned out to be about the most do nothing day in a couple of years:
- I fertilized the vegetable garden and lightly weeded it.
- Went for walk with DW and mailed some letters.
- Made supper
- watched end of season 1 on Netflix of "Marco Polo" it was quite excellent.

I also now find I want to get up around 8am and get mad at myself if I sleep past 9am because I don't want to waste the day.

I've been retired for 6 years now, and I still make a list most days with things I'd like to get done the next day. Sometimes the list is pretty short, and the tasks may be pretty minor, but it helps keep me organized. I don't always complete everything on the list, either, but all that means is that the task stays on the list for the next day. I should add that these "tasks" are not all drudgery either..........many of them are things that I do because I enjoy them or at least get some satisfaction from doing them (like taking care of the vegetable garden, doing minor repairs on the house or other things, etc.). And of course I always set aside time for relaxation. There is always something to do around here, that's for sure; I can't remember the last time when I was bored.

I've been retired for 6 years now, and I still make a list most days with things I'd like to get done the next day. Sometimes the list is pretty short, and the tasks may be pretty minor, but it helps keep me organized. I don't always complete everything on the list, either, but all that means is that the task stays on the list for the next day. I should add that these "tasks" are not all drudgery either..........many of them are things that I do because I enjoy them or at least get some satisfaction from doing them (like taking care of the vegetable garden, doing minor repairs on the house or other things, etc.). And of course I always set aside time for relaxation. There is always something to do around here, that's for sure; I can't remember the last time when I was bored.

OMG I could have written this identical comment about myself. And, while I find I keep myself busy (which includes my exercise pursuits), I also have down time each day with no guilt whatsoever.

Organizing my time might get into my nap time.

What I like about retirement is not making plans and not organizing every minute of every day. It's more enjoyable rolling with the flow--for the most part--unless doing something that's important must be attended to.

Back
Top Bottom