Other than money...

I go back to a J*b for 10-12 weeks every Jan-April. It is more than sufficient for me to yearn to go back to retirement and making my own schedule and priorities. It's my Dog Days of Winter job when the weather in my Snowbelt town prevents most outdoor activities I enjoy.

I was actually born to be retired :cool: ,but didn't have the means to do so. Money was the only reason I ever worked during my 41 years of paid employment. Not for the joy of accomplishment, standing in any organization, personal relationships, or any perceived impact upon the world.

Luckly, I reached "my number" in my late 50's. Maybe not ER, but good enough for me. Why would I ever return after meeting/exceeding my life goal?

I was actually born to be retired :cool: ,but didn't have the means to do so. Money was the only reason I ever worked during my 41 years of paid employment. Not for the joy of accomplishment, standing in any organization, personal relationships, or any perceived impact upon the world.

Luckly, I reached "my number" in my late 50's. Maybe not ER, but good enough for me. Why would I ever return after meeting/exceeding my life goal?

+1

Let's see, other than money, what do I miss from work. Commuting, giving annual performance reviews, getting annual performance reviews, preparing yearly operating plans, matrix management systems, sales forecasts, year end audits, six sigma, global teleconferences, all those meetings, spending more than 250 days away from home. Most of all, office politics.

No, money would not offset any of this. There would have to be another compelling reason that is not financial, or a work opportunity that is free of all of the above.

What if you got paid to post here?

Where do I sign up? :LOL: As long as I had infinitely flexible hours, anyway....
There might be a line...

I knew I could find a job that would appeal to members here. :D

Last edited:
A year is not enough time.

I RE at 53 after a very hectic and busy career that I truly loved. I needed a full two years to 'come down' and another year or so to stop thinking that every day was 'vacation'.

Other than money? Not even sure money would motivate me at this point. Not w*rking is the best thing I ever did! Like a lot of people, now I'm not sure how I found the time for a j*b!!

Interesting marko. I have been FI for many years but still worked 50% time because I enjoyed what I did and the people I worked with and the $$ and health benefits made things comfortable. Just recently decided to RE and was thinking I would at a minimum take a year off but it sounds like from your experience that a year is not enough.

Guess I'll have at least a year to rethink that plan. :)

Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again?

Absolutely, positively NOT!!! :nonono:

I went to school because I had to! I went to work because I had to! The opportunity to retire early and never have to work again presented itself, soon to be 5 years ago, and I jumped at it!!! Besides, even if I wanted to go back to work I couldn't.....I just don't have the time!!! I'm just way too dang busy enjoying my life and liberty, and pursuing happiness, to even attempt to squeeze in a job!!! I don't know how I ever found time to even have a job in the first place!!! :LOL:

:dance:

Everyone's different. Your mileage may vary!

I liked my job but I still wouldn't go back unless I had to for the money.

Other than money, is there anything that would cause you to go back to w*rk again? If so, what?

Depends what you mean by "work" and exactly what the opportunity was.........

I relish mentoring and sharing what I've learned from the school of hard knocks with younger folks who are interested. I enjoy seeing people execute well thought out life plans and enjoy a meaningful, rewarding life. I got to do some of that in my final years at MegaCorp. And since I was modestly FI at the time, the pressure for career success was gone and I was able to really enjoy helping the next generation suceed with their careers while laying low with my own. Despite the fact that I got a nice buyout package and was launched into a survivable FIRE situation, I was actually a bit sad to see it end at 58 yo.

Even though I've been FIRE'd almost six years, I still have past subordinates keeping in touch to talk about career prospects, review resumes, conduct mock interviews, give recommendations, make introductions, etc. Yeah, yeah...... it's "work" related, but I enjoy it.

I'd do it some more if the situation presented itself. But I think the chances are zero, especially since I'm not looking.

There, I confessed.

Last edited:
For those of you guys & gals with business experience, I might suggest volunteering at your local SCORE chapter.

SCORE ( Service Corps of Retired Executives ) is a national nonprofit division of the SBA. It serves aspiring entrepreneurs and those seeking advice and mentoring to improve their small business.

Volunteers provide consulting and mentoring for business plans, cash flow projections, P/L, incorporation, marketing, supply chain, insurance, licensing/franchising, and legal.

I have been a SCORE counselor for several years; since FIRE'd, I have more time to give to this very worthy pursuit benefitting the community I live in.

Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCORE

Retired 6 years ago, at age 54. I had to send 2 emails this week to 2 organizations I volunteer with.

No more meetings, call me when the real work has to be done. Let the folks that like to do that kind of stuff figure it out. One was for a wildflower garden at the local USFS station, and I love to get my hands dirty, and lean on a shovel. The other to assess properties for wildfire preparedness. Give me a chainsaw and lopers, but no more meetings.

..... I like my coworkers, I find engineering to be endlessly challenging and rewarding, and I don't seem to get along well with RE's...

.... and so I joined an RE board... :LOL:

nice one, you'll do well here.

I joined this board back when I worked as a contractor. I really did hate that job, and there was always the threat of layoffs, so I saved and scrimped so that I could ER (either out of necessity or to pursue a career change). I could not imagine working another year like I had been for the last 14... I was nominally FI and took an interview for a job in the paper, and this has turned out to be a success story for me. I still hang around ER.org from time to time because there are some interesting discusssions and some people do some interesting things with their time, but sometimes the attitude toward working people is snarky - like we are patsies funding SS and pensions for the people that have it all figured out... Anyway, I infrequently post to point out that there are other alternatives to 'retirement' from a specific job than full retirement. I don't have experience with full retirement, but I view it like running a marathon - once someone makes a decision to stop running for a breather, they find that they cannot really return to the race - so I think that it is a big decision. Maybe I'm overthinking it...

You're not overthinking it all, retirement is not for everyone, many folks need the structure, stimulation and sense of purpose that work provides. I'm just surprised that you are not happy about the attitude towards work from some of the folks you find here on this site. That is like someone who doesn't drink going into a public bar, then being upset at what they see, instead of simply walking past.

There are plenty of folks on this site who actually enjoy work, or who choose to be semi-retired. Kick back and tune out the rest. (The site evens provides an ignore feature so you don't have to view posts from those of us who get under your skin)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom