Join Early Retirement Today

Our First adventure!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Our First adventure!!!

Since we will be pulling the plug in 2014/15. Our first adventure will be to do hike's with the ultimate goal to do the Appalachian Trail. This is all part of a secondary goal to visit all the National Parks and, of course, the best of the State ones as well.

I purchased this so now we have have to do it!!!

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Anyone else do the AT?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post

Anyone else do the AT?
No, so you'll have to post updates on how you get on.

Best of luck with your plans, it all sounds very exciting.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Anyone else do the AT?
We did several sections (whole Georgia, parts of NC).
Might or might not do the rest when retired

I'm in Atlanta suburbs - let me know if you need a ride from ATL airport (or Greyhound station) to the Southern AT terminus.

sailor
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I plan on doing several day hikes along the AT. I'm only doing day hikes from now on, but that hammock looks comfortable.

Good luck & keep us posted along your journey!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This is all part of a secondary goal to visit all the National Parks
That has been my goal for years and I am about 40% done. I will have to do the rest after I retire. But have you noticed that new National Park gets added every so often? It almost feel like they lowered the bar on what can become a National Park. They converted number of National Monuments into NPs since I started visiting NPs.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

I always wanted to do that but it just never fit in with everything else going on. Did manage to do the 70 some odd mile through the Smokies though.

Best of luck on the trek and please keep us updated.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Hey. Enjoy the Hennessey Hammock. I have one of those and a Warbonnet Black Bird. I love hammock camping when backpacking.
Bateauxdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've done large portions of the AT over the years, not much recently. I've done all of NC/TN, VA, WV, MD, and PA, and a little bit of GA and Maine. Thru-hiking it is on my bucket list, but I'm not betting on getting it done. Is that what you are talking about? Starting at Springer Mt. and going straight through to Katahdin? If you do it and blog it, let us know the blog so I can follow it.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Sounds awesome. I have some backpacking and bike tour trips on my bucket list too. Enjoy! I would also enjoy following your trip via blog.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #10

DW and I had plans to thru-hike the PCT until my hypermobile low back problem made that very unlikely. Hiking is our most evenly matched sport, so starting next year we plan to up the mileage of our day hikes considerably. I have mapped out a marathon distance hike on the Olympic Peninsula as the eventual goal.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
DW and I had plans to thru-hike the PCT until my hypermobile low back problem made that very unlikely. Hiking is our most evenly matched sport, so starting next year we plan to up the mileage of our day hikes considerably. I have mapped out a marathon distance hike on the Olympic Peninsula as the eventual goal.
I would love to hike the PCT, but I have decided I am just not up to a thru hike. I do envy the younger people who are taking it on. I've been to several talks and read a lot of books and blogs on it over the years.

I believe a bear canister will be required in the Olympic Peninsula, is this correct? I would like to do some backpacking through there as well. Also, goat rocks in WA is on my bucket list.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

I believe a bear canister will be required in the Olympic Peninsula, is this correct? I would like to do some backpacking through there as well. Also, goat rocks in WA is on my bucket list.
I don't know about the bear canister requirement. All of our hiking there has been day-hike only. The marathon goal is a day-hike loop.
Olympic NP has a wet and dry side. Backpacking the wet side takes determination.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #13

Bear spray works against two legged predators as well. We always carry it. Just a thought.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Bear spray works against two legged predators as well. We always carry it. Just a thought.
Bear canisters are bear-proof food containers required in some of the more popular NP's for overnight backcountry campers.
Of course the spray could work better at keeping the two legged critters away from your food.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #15

I am quite eager to hike a portion of the AT, maybe through Road Scholar!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The AT is quite a goal. There was an article in our local paper this past year about a girl from here who hiked the entire trail. I can't imagine. My hikes are about 5 miles in length. I do plan to do some short ones next year when I make it back out to CO. Half day ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have done about 30% of the trail in section hikes.

If you are interested in the AT, then whiteblaze.net is a good resource. You can also see journals from folks doing the AT on trailjournals.com

I am not sure if you are planning on thruhiking or just section hikes. If you are thruhiking, I suggest a shakedown hike of at 10 days. The dropout rate is about 75% so before planning for a 5 month absence and flying to GA, you want to make you actually like being dirty, sweaty, sleeping in shelters with mice and snoring old men (what's not to love). Some people say that thruhiking is just like a job - every day you get up and put in your 9 hours of hiking.
NH Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #18

Thanks Bjorn. Just a senior moment lol...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks All - so sorry that I did not check in more often. That silly work and life thing got in the way. This year is a test year. We are doing the MidState trail in MA. It goes thru the state from NH to RI - 92 miles. I am also a trail maintainer so it is so nice to see people using the trails. They are a national treasure.

I am currently hiking 10mile trials around the state parks that are hilly on the weekends. It's a great way to try out gear and methods. As well as get into physical and mental shape. I will be building a blog and posting on it. So I will keep you'all updated via that.

I might be doing a flipflop!!!!

Start in Harpers Ferry WV, southbound, in late April. Then fly to Maine and head south to Harpers Ferry. The benefit is that you are, theoretically, not in the south in JULY/August but in ME when it is amazing!

Cheers and Keep trekking!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
We did several sections (whole Georgia, parts of NC).
Might or might not do the rest when retired

I'm in Atlanta suburbs - let me know if you need a ride from ATL airport (or Greyhound station) to the Southern AT terminus.

sailor
THANKS that is a very kind offer and I will keep it in mind.