Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Looking at my own grand-parents, I can see how people at that age spend little money. Most are probably house-bound (no travel, no need for fancy cell phones, computers, nice clothes, cars, etc...) and most of their money is spent on food and healthcare. My grandmother lived on $500/month in her later years and she was as happy as a clam.

NOTE>>> sidetrack

Can anybody show me a study to prove that clams are happy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quebec City? Fort Morgan, AL, Dauphin Island....?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A sad fact is that in my FIL's nursing home, he is amongst the oldest at 92. Most of the residents look like they are only in their 80s, or even their 70s. I am sure that there are some in their late 60s.

Egads! It sure feels like even I myself do not have much time left. I need to take that RV to Alaska, and then to Prince Edward Island, while I still can.

PS. We recently watched "The Savages", a movie about a brother and sister who have to take care of their ailing father. Sobering 2007 movie that had some Oscar nominations.
I think it is funny also... my mom is 91... a couple of years ago we were looking at moving her to a nursing home... after seeing a few of them... she said 'I don't want to go there... look, everybody is so OLD'....

My sister said that at lunch time there was a 'parking lot' of walkers... so, we got her a condo and she is 'happy as a clam'...
Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Can you show me one proving they aren't?

Where Did the Saying "Happy as a Clam" Come From?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
My sister said that at lunch time there was a 'parking lot' of walkers... so, we got her a condo and she is 'happy as a clam'...
A lot of people at my mother's continual care facility used walkers too, and the same was true at lunch time. A lot of them even used the same model of walker because it was supposed to be the best kind (for some reason). But if you looked closely, they were not exactly the same. That was because they enjoyed decorating or individualizing their walkers to make them easy to identify after lunch. That was fun for many of them - - sort of like teenagers putting "skins" on their electronic devices.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
NOTE>>> sidetrack

Ever been clam-digging? Seems to me that at low tide, clams are extremely happy to be dug up. After all, it's not like they put on little clam-sized running shoes and race away, or protest in the slightest. They just sit there in happy anticipation of being the center of attention when uncovered.

How happy are they? Well, happy as clams, y'know.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I live to 100, and I very much doubt that I will, I will have many more things to think about than money to spend on frivolous materialistic things. If I can shuffle to the bathroom by myself, instead of laying there in a dirty diaper to wait for an orderly, I will be happy. If I can feed myself with a spoon, I will be grateful. If I can still bathe myself, I will feel like king of the heap.

Most people do not spend much time with elderly relatives in nursing homes to see what people in that stage of life care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So hell, I'm happy I can still walk across the room and get myself a glass of water and I can still spell my name.

Compared with issues like those, how much money is in the bank or what my living expenses are seems trivial.
So true...

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Centarians tend to be healthier and part of that is keeping their wits. The unhealthy tend to die off sooner. So if we can live that long, it will probably be with no drugs and our wits intact. That translates to lower costs.

I wonder how much for the poor at that age is being subsidized by their families. My mother retired below the poverty line quite happily but her house is subsidized by 2 brothers at far below market rents and I paid for any emergency expenditures like car repair. None of that is counted as her living expenses.

My great uncle lived to be almost 105. He looked younger than most people at 70. At 98 he stopped climbing 7 stair flights daily and dropped to 2 for the rest of his life. His hearing and eyesight got bad but he was as sharp at 104 as he was at 40. If you live that long, it's because you are healthy. Cognitive impairment is from serious illness. It is not a part of normal aging.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Cognitive impairment is from serious illness. It is not a part of normal aging.
But serious illness (including illnesses that cause loss of brain function) is part of normal aging.
- Approx 45% of people who are 100 years old have dementia of some type. (Source)
- Centenarians are less healthy than 90 YOs, and 90 YOs are less healthy than 80 YOs. People get sicker as they get older. From an evolutionary standpoint, we're just not built to last as long as we're living these days.

Getting old ain't easy.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Umm...
Tower of London?
Nope ...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think the more interesting question is what type of RV is that?
That was a clue to "where in the world am I" (OK, mentioned previously in this thread)...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be sure to post us a photo once you get there.
Sure I will. Bragging rights, you know?

About happy clams, sure they are. "Happy, happy", like Emeril Lagasse says all the time.

Happy, happy, in my chowder, that is.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
OK - test time. Where am I?
I'll guess: Fort Amherst, Prince Edward Island:

Parks Canada - Port-la-Joye- Fort Amherst National Historic Site - Port-la-Joye—Fort Amherst National Historic Site of Canada

Why: PEI was one of only three places mentioned in the thread so far, and you wouldn't see a red doubledecker bus at any of the others. The ramparts are typical of 18th century British maritime fortifications.

PEI is the only Canadian province that I've never visited, so I'll eat humble pie if I'm wrong!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hadrian's Wall? The double decker bus might be a clue - but then I'm in Europe so would think along those lines. I just got back from Rome and am still awed by how much of the buildings are left - I walked the city for three days - has New York City feel (people are edgy and hog the sidewalks, which are much smaller). I love the ruins, the cobblestone streets, the 'leftover' ruins just incorporated into the newer buildings, the layers - Roman antiquity, medieval, Renaissance, modern, the food......yummmm!

OK - back on post - I just read an article where centenarians have a specific set of genes that help them get that old. As for attitude/etc, that's partof it, too, I'm sure. Heck, the thread about the Kaderli's show them living on "poverty-level" and yet it sure looks like they had fun on their 105 day odyssey.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post

One big thing that I think helps someone live to 100, is to know their physical limits. As people get older, certain activities just should not be done, if health is their concern.

This is what is frustrating my Mom who is 93 . She knows her limits but she doesn't like them .She still wants to do things she did years ago which are unrealistic now . As for consumerism ,she has QVC on speed dial and still dresses well and has her hair done once a week .