Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Gary412 View Post

One of the biggest and best communities in the country is The Villages just North of Orlando FL. [Content removed by moderator.]

I love it in The Villages

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't if it is. It was a comment after several other posters mentioned the community. He may be just trying to give more info.

KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Not ready
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Not ready

When the foulmouth rugrats and clueless parents next door are acting up, a 55+ community seems like a great idea. Then we go check one out, and we just get the feeling we're looking at God's waiting room. There really is no offense intended to those opting to live in one, and I'm speaking without having walked in your moccasins. We are probably overlooking what would be a fantastic lifestyle choice. It's just the gut feeling we get. But no doubt the rugrats will aggravate again, and we'll go looking again. And so it goes...
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll." - The Doors
Tree-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado
We have had a home in The Villages for 5 years. There is nothing like it anywhere. It is more than you could ever imagine. Hello to Crispus & Gary 412.
fun in the sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Any living situation has pluses and minuses, but more importantly every person or couple weight these positive and negative factors differently.

What one person might hate, another will really love. If you are a couple, it really helps if your preferences are similar.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
We have had a home in The Villages for 5 years. There is nothing like it anywhere. It is more than you could ever imagine. Hello to Crispus & Gary 412.
Hi Fun in the sun. I can't wait to be down in the Villages. It feels like we will not be truly retired until we move. As for it feeling like Gods waiting room, everywhere you live the end result is the same. People in the Villages seem to enjoy life and live it to the max. That is something that is a lot harder to do living in an area where you must do a lot of driving and pay a lot of a la carte memberships to accomplish. Everything in the Villages is within a short cart ride. The cost of living is so much less in FL that we will be able to travel much more often.

But alas qw are still here in Maryland. Our house has been on the market for 3 weeks with no interest thus far. Priced it to sell, we are praying to be out of here before the winter sets in. We have been suffering through a very hot summer. Temps here in Baltimore county have been near 100 degrees. I think it would be cooler in the Villages.

Its hard putting our life on hold until our home sells. We are in limbo and it is giving us great stress.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote