Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We started out living in the suburbs but now with years of development it is getting to be more of an urban area. We live in a walkable area now but we're still near a lot of parks and open space so its been a good transition for us.

Traffic is worse but also like RobbieB said for us not between 10 -2 and there is usually no traffic anytime on the backstreets.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You don't get a big thanks you unless you took a bunch of people with you!
just me, DW and the cats.....

Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

I couldn't get out of San Antonio fast enough. They haven't managed the development very well...the city itself is fairly large, but it's a zoning nightmare. Almost the ENTIRE suburban area is zoned for high density living, which makes it a pain for EVERYONE. Where we live now (NW 'burb of Atlanta), they have managed it a bit better. There are *some* areas that they have allowed higher densities, but for the most part, our area is zoned for medium to low density population areas.

The biggest thing that made me realize how different it is with density is doing errands. As an example...in San Antonio, you really couldn't go to ANY half-way decent restaurant during normal dinner hours without there being a lengthy wait. The day of week didn't matter. And the grocery store? Madness...all day, everyday. Now...in my current locale, the only real crazy nights for eating out is Friday and Saturday and even then, the waits rarely exceed 45 minutes. And the grocery store? Pretty much a pleasure unless it's Saturday or Sunday between 10A-4PM.

Austin? Man...that place was crazy last time I was there. You couldn't pay me to set roots there.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Austin? Man...that place was crazy last time I was there. You couldn't pay me to set roots there.
worst traffic on the planet, good food though
Old 05-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone has to live somewhere. There was probably someone grumbling when any subdivision was built, whether in 1970 or 2016. Too bad the growth can't be better managed, but someone will still be unhappy. We live in a filled-in town where new construction is possible only by tearing another house down. People still grumble.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My burb, and a couple more to the north, are growing like kudzu. Home prices going up, but I'm still at maybe 4% annual appreciation over 16 years, even with the recent spike. Taxes went up... Hopefully the taxing authorities will lower our rates to avoid a windfall. Not holding my breath...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

after a few years in Mexico, the traffic and cost of living seems quite insane here in Austin. Food? Over-rated and expensive. As soon as the wife gets her first pension check it's adios Texas, hola Jalisco!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
after a few years in Mexico, the traffic and cost of living seems quite insane here in Austin. Food? Over-rated and expensive. As soon as the wife gets her first pension check it's adios Texas, hola Jalisco!
Still trying to convince the DW that Isla Mujeres is where we need to be long term. Love it there!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Still trying to convince the DW that Isla Mujeres is where we need to be long term. Love it there!

Beautiful, peaceful place. We will likely go back some time. (Short trip to experience the whale sharks, but the island itself made a nice impression; and so easy to get to.)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #30

Lived 20 years in an area pretty much in the doldrums because of job losses from textiles and furniture, but a really nice place to live (NC) other than the income tax. Currently considering (mildly) relocation but the inertia after having been reasonably happy is overwhelming. Even in our current area I plan activities to avoid "rush" hours. Wait through more than one traffic light cycle? Not gonna happen.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #31

Overdevelopment in my perfect town

Guys I've got some bad news... People -there are more of them every day..
My blue ribbon school district town in Pennsylvania continues to grow as does the surrounding communities. The traffic has grown as well - I'm done I hate it. I might as well be back on LI.

As soon as DS graduates HS I'm selling the barn.. If I move 30 minutes out I'll be in a corn field..
You know what I think corn stalks make good neighbors... "Have you ever heard of one complaining or driving too slow?"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Up until a few months ago, I've loved where we live, but our house is in the blazing fast growth area between Austin and San Antonio. House values in our small subdivision have jumped 30% in 6 months. The area around our house was farms and fields, now they are building Taco Bells, Car washes, oil change places and both Walgreens and CVS, and at least 7 banks, not to mention nail salons...and I hear a Starbucks is next. They just built another strip mall across the street, with 1000 apartments coming next. Traffic of course is getting bad. I wanted to be close to town, but not this close. I wasn't planning on moving, not sure what the next step will be, as this is no longer my perfect town.
FWIW, Texas is always bragging about its great business environment, etc. IIRC, they have even run ads in other parts of the country inviting firms to move to 'business friendly' Texas. They want the new jobs. And new jobs bring new people.

http://www.kcra.com/news/Texas-adver...-jobs/18407456

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...ry-6532850.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.sfgate.com/business/botto...es-4258193.php

Quote:
Mr. Ryan’s specialty is helping clients like ExxonMobil and Neiman Marcus secure state and local tax breaks and other business incentives. It is a good line of work in Texas.

Under Mr. Perry, Texas gives out more of the incentives than any other state, around $19 billion a year, an examination by The New York Times has found. Texas justifies its largess by pointing out that it is home to half of all the private sector jobs created over the last decade nationwide. As the invitation to the fund-raiser boasted: “Texas leads the nation in job creation.”
Maybe the zeal to acquire new jobs and businesses, plus the lack of restrictions on how much growth is allowed and where it can take place are some of the reasons the above things can happen so quickly. I'm not saying that Texas is doing something wrong, only that you can't have your cake and eat it.

Plenty of states restrict growth in various ways. Some simply forbid it out side of certain areas. Sometimes they make it hard, if not impossible to convert agricultural land to other uses. Others refuse to install new electrical service, sewers and water lines so that new structures can't have basic services. Necessary highway improvements are not made thus chocking off growth in some areas. The state tax system can also restrict growth.

FWIW, I don't live in Texas but my area is growing also. We have more crowding, more traffic and higher housing prices. I feel your pain.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #33

No one ever thinks that their house is too much for the neighborhood...it's always the ones that come after.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #34

Rant mode on! My once-perfect town in eastern Pa is also ruined, from my perspective. The NYC people and NJ people who are endlessly moving here may think it is great, since they grew up with horrible constant congestion, and they just bought a brand new McMansion here for cheap in a new development nobody here wanted except the realtors and developers. The traffic is just unbearable now. If you don't get out before noon, you get bumper to bumper on most roads, all SUV's and minivans. Where are all these people going between noon and 8 PM? Doesn't anyone have a job from 9 to 5? I guess not. Many many new business parks, storage facilities popping up, monstrously large warehouses, etc. And it KEEPS GETTING APPROVED even though no one wants it except the folks who profit from it. I suppose if someone local gets a decent j*b at one of these new businesses, that's one good thing that results from the overdevelopment. The planners say it will reduce taxes having all these businesses here, but the taxes just keep going up, and everyone knows it. Rant mode off! Time to check the garden.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Rant mode on! My once-perfect town in eastern Pa is also ruined, from my perspective. The NYC people and NJ people who are endlessly moving here may think it is great, since they grew up with horrible constant congestion, and they just bought a brand new McMansion here for cheap in a new development nobody here wanted except the realtors and developers. The traffic is just unbearable now. If you don't get out before noon, you get bumper to bumper on most roads, all SUV's and minivans. Where are all these people going between noon and 8 PM? Doesn't anyone have a job from 9 to 5? I guess not. Many many new business parks, storage facilities popping up, monstrously large warehouses, etc. And it KEEPS GETTING APPROVED even though no one wants it except the folks who profit from it. I suppose if someone local gets a decent j*b at one of these new businesses, that's one good thing that results from the overdevelopment. The planners say it will reduce taxes having all these businesses here, but the taxes just keep going up, and everyone knows it. Rant mode off! Time to check the garden.
If you do decide to move, you could try moving to a neighborhood where everything is less than a couple of miles away. Then no matter how awful the traffic becomes, there is no reason to drive very far in it. The savings in gasoline expense is great, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We feel and are experiencing the same pains just east of you over in Bastrop County, and it's just getting started and going to get worse. Carpetbaggers dream! Property tax valuations have just come out, and some have skyrocketed 30 and 40 percent in one year. It is the homestead properties only that are capped at 10% per year! but that is not always adhered to. In the city of Bastrop, there are only two narrow bridges crossing the Colorado river, and when there is a wreck on either bridge, which is pretty much every day now, the whole area is in gridlock until the wrecks are cleared. Interesting side note, when you get thru the last traffic light on SH-71 eastbound in Bastrop, there is not another traffic light all the way to Key West, Fl. All interstate...
Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #37

Honestly I don't know where you "old codgers" expect all the people to go?

In 1995, US population was 262 million. In 2015, a mere twenty years later, the population is 322 million. Those 60 million people got to land somewhere... just glad it's not in my backyard! And, oh yeah, make sure the next guy in shuts the door behind him... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ace, I feel your pain.

Multiple subdivisions are building houses as fast as they can put them up plus a huge high school is under construction a few miles away. When it opens in the fall of 2017 it will house 3,000 students -
On the bright side, with 3000 students they might have enough concentrated talent to win state 6A football title
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #39

As soon as I see smoke from a neighboring chimney.............

This modest place would do -

JETT BLACKBURN REAL ESTATE INC
Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
No one ever thinks that their house is too much for the neighborhood...it's always the ones that come after.
I've always found this to be the case when celebrities build a huge mansion on undeveloped land between their environmental cause appointments.