Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Overhyped Countries
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #21

Justin, if your Grand father or Dad was born there, YUP.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Justin, if your Grand father or Dad was born there, YUP.
I asked my grandparents when our family first came to the USA. They said they figured we had always been here (I'm not native American/first nation, by the way).

Guess that means I can't get a red passport.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Catherine!

So is school taught in English or Maltese? Out of curiosity, if things hadn't worked out in Gozo, where would you have tried next?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #24

justin, not possible most Americans are less than 4 or 5 generations in this country.

I remember back in 1968, with my FGirl Friend, Japanese Origin, they had been in Canada for nearly 200 years, a guy screaming at her to go back to where she belonged(I was the Immigrant, hapen to be White)

He had been a Japanese POW with the British Army.

Her family had been robbed by the Government of Boats, a Farm, several pieces of Real Estate.

I digress, sorry.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi P.S.,

School is taught in a split between English and Maltese, with English, maths, science, information technology, and geography taught in English, and Maltese, history, social studies, and religion (from which you can exempt your child) taught in Maltese. English kids are not expected to be up to speed in the Maltese-taught courses. Our son also takes Italian which is taught in Italian. He is being privately tutored twice a week in Maltese by a really nice woman here in our village but Maltese is a fairly tough language to learn because it is based partly in Arabic -- I believe the verb structures are somewhat different than what we are used to.

If things had not worked out I think in the short term we would have done some traveling in Europe on tourist visas and then looked at Latin America in the longer term. Boquete in Panama sounds nice, and my husband has a professional background in coffee so we may end up there yet some day far down the road. The romantic in me was tempted by Argentina and Peru. Malta's stability, safety, and the ease with language won out for us in large part because of the fact that we are still raising a family.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
justin, not possible most Americans are less than 4 or 5 generations in this country.
Oh jeez louise....

You better start annotating your sarcastic and ironic posts again Justin.

What IS it with you?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Oh jeez louise....

You better start annotating your sarcastic and ironic posts again Justin.

What IS it with you?
That's why I used the sarcasm tag. Guess I let one slip.

Howard,

My grandparents apparently hadn't pondered their ancestors' paths to America (they aren't particularly sophisticated folks). They knew that as far back as they could remember, our families had always been in America, living in the same geographic area in the Appalachian mountains/foothills. Of course, their memory only extended back to what they had heard their grandparents talking about, so probably mid 1800's. Obviously, at some point in my ancestors' lives, a boat traveling from Europe to the USA was involved.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #28

Is that where they filmed "Deliverance"?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see you are in the race for the title of "Most idiotic assertion, put forth most confidently." What difference should it make when "Most Americans" supposedly got here? Justin is talking about specific Americans, his ancestors. Perhaps he knows more about them than you do?

Hey, before long, most Americans might be Mexicans. But even you can likely see that George Washington and the people on the Mayflower were not Mexicans.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #30

Huh. I never heard of that Red Passport thing. All my grandparents were born here, but all of their parents came over from Germany, Ireland or Scotland. Guess I'm one generation late.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Many Canadians ,a nd Americans, may be entitled to European Citizenship or right of abode, depending upon whether Parents or Grand Parents were born in Europe.

Red Passport allows you to travel and work freely within the EU.
Where do you find information on this?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Is that where they filmed "Deliverance"?
Real close. According to google, Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River (a fun river to go down in a whitewater raft or kayak). That's about 50 miles from the area where all my ancestors lived for as far back as we know.

You could always hear them banjos twangin.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #33

Martha, check the Government Web Site of the country you are interested in, in my case it was the UK.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #34

In my travelling youth days, when I spend some time in France where I was born, I thought it might be advantageous to having dual citizenship so I inquired about getting French citizenship papers. I was told in order to get my papers I would have to serve in the French military. Unlike the USA, I wonder if being born to non-French citizens was the reason.
I wonder what new requirementa are needed to get European citizen papers.

MJ
Old 02-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Martha, check the Government Web Site of the country you are interested in, in my case it was the UK.
Thanks for the information, Howard. My grandfather was born in Bulgaria, which will soon be entering the EU.

I would be interested if anyone has country-specific info on this. I am too lazy to search right now, but it is nice to know there might be some kind of possibility here.

Kramer
Old 02-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #36

Hey mj, your uniform would have been designed by Dior , your boots by Prada, and you would just have to march around with a silly hat and say No whenever anyone asked you to fight outside the country.

Then again, there was the French Foreign Legion, that would not be much fun, lousy uniforms, lousy food.

Just kidding, Compulsory Service in most countries has been scrapped, and Americans can now hold dual citizenship.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #37

I'm curious, do you only become a citizen,
to the country you or your elders came from
or to your choice of any country belonging to EU
or to the EU (if that is an option)
or it does it really matter which country you choose

Curious minds want to know.

MJ
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That explains it. I hear theres a lot of inbreeding on that little island
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #39

MJ, you beome a CitIzen of the country of your Parents, but you are issued a Red European Passport which allows you to live and to work in any country within the EU.

I carry a Red Passport which allows me just to walk through rather than line up at Customs with Non European Visitors.

I locked in now just in case the change the rules in the future.

I still dream of living in a thatched cottage in the Cotswolds near the Welsh border and wandering down to the local Pub a few times a day.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am having no luck with this. So it doesn't look like Norway is part of the EU but is is part of the so called Nordic Union. Denmark is my other possibilty, but then I go back to grandparents. And I can't find anything. Maybe I should have an associate work on it. SLC Tortfeasor? Justin? Jay?

Herregud.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote