Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Overhyped Countries
Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Maybe I should have an associate work on it. SLC Tortfeasor? Justin? Jay?

Herregud.
Don't you have some young sycophants in your firm's office that could do some research in their free time?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #42

Martha, they voted against joing the EU, there will be another vote in the future.

My nieces were born in NA, but their mother is Finnish, they get Citizinship if they want it.

Might be a good time to steer clear of that area until this lunacy quietens down.?

Norway has an unbelievable social system, rich from North Sea oil, the government will even pay for your holiday.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #43

So...do I understand this correctly? My maternal grandmother was born in England, but her family was Russian and was en route to the US (her parents were not British citizens and Nana was the youngest and only child born in the UK)...so, I can't claim any kind of British citizenship, right?

But my paternal granfather was born and raised in Germany and left in his teens (also in The teens)--so I could claim German citizenship? Hitler would roll over in his grave* A branch of this family has been traced back to Spain.

My Italian grandfather was born in the US, although his parents were born in Italy and barely spoke English. Too bad...on the whole I'd prefer to claim Italian or Spanish citizenship...rather Mediterranean at heart (hate the cold, have a dolce far niente attitude, and prefer to accomplish things manana!).
Old 02-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, you mentioned Hitler. Discussions over...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard

Norway has an unbelievable social system, rich from North Sea oil, the government will even pay for your holiday.
I still don't understand why my family left to come to the US and be dirt poor.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still don't understand why my family left to come to the US and be dirt poor.*
They thought they were heading south to balmy Minnesota to escape from those nasty Scandinavian winters?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Maybe they were headed for Canada and they missed it by a few hundred miles and ended up on the wrong side of the border.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

My Mother's Mother (as a cheap Finnish cook) came with a Swedish family to Canada. Saved a few bucks and moved south to a warmer climate (Detroit) cause she couldn't spell Minnie - SO - ta.

heh heh heh heh heh

Old 02-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #49

astroemeria, you do not have a right to Citizenship, but you do have a Right of Abode, that means you can move and work there, but you cannot vote until after a residancy period, I believe it is 2 years.

Europe after WW11 was a bombed out ruin, many people left, but Europe has rebuilt itself and although materially they have less, I believe there are certain social advantages.??

Italy is wonderful, they really do take a great attitude towards living.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lye shortage for the lutefisk.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Lye shortage for the lutefisk.
I've tried many exotic cuisines, but for this one... I don't even wanna know.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I tasted a tiny bit once. The slimy fishy taste was compensated for by the gooey, gelatinous texture.

What was it that tony bourdain said once when fed partially cooked iguana tamales with bits of burned skin and bone included? Something about gouging out his eyes and throwing himself off a cliff being preferable?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
So...do I understand this correctly? My maternal grandmother was born in England, but her family was Russian and was en route to the US (her parents were not British citizens and Nana was the youngest and only child born in the UK)...so, I can't claim any kind of British citizenship, right?

But my paternal granfather was born and raised in Germany and left in his teens (also in The teens)--so I could claim German citizenship? Hitler would roll over in his grave* A branch of this family has been traced back to Spain.

My Italian grandfather was born in the US, although his parents were born in Italy and barely spoke English. Too bad...on the whole I'd prefer to claim Italian or Spanish citizenship...rather Mediterranean at heart (hate the cold, have a dolce far niente attitude, and prefer to accomplish things manana!).
Quote:
astroemeria, you do not have a right to Citizenship, but you do have a Right of Abode, that means you can move and work there, but you cannot vote until after a residancy period, I believe it is 2 years.

Europe after WW11 was a bombed out ruin, many people left, but Europe has rebuilt itself and although materially they have less, I believe there are certain social advantages.??

Italy is wonderful, they really do take a great attitude towards living.
Howard, do I understand that you are refering to the UK when you say that astromeria would have "Right of Abode"?* If you are, then I am afraid that it is not correct.

As a pretty good rule of thumb, unless one has a parent who was BORN in the UK to British parents, AND that parent holds a British passport, no nationality or abode rights are passed on. Thus by extension, if any of you guys are going back as far as Grandparents to find a descendent born in a European Country (as your parents were not), then you are probably not going to get aywhere.

However, like all good principles there are exceptions.The most common are:

1) be a very good/professional footballer that a big European club or Country wants - players from South America often dredge up an Italian/Portugese/Spanish Grandparent to avoid Visa rules and Foreign Player Quotas in some European countries.

2) Have a German name. Germany is (I believe) the only european Country that still considers German hereditary ethnicity to be more important than residence. Thus all the Schmidts, Muellers and Rheinehardts currently residing in Chile, Argentina, Belarus and Kazahkstan, are still considered eligible for full German Citinship if their heritage can be shown. (Case in point, Manchester United have a defender from Argentina called Gabriel Heinze - previously played in France for PSG)

I do know the rules for the UK VERY well, and the rest of Europe in pretty much the same, with one or two exceptions with respect to the residents of a couple of countries' former colonies and outposts.

If anyone want to know more details / specifics, feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

By the way Howard, how long ago did you leave the UK / how long is it since you last visited??

Cheers
Honkie
Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #54

Honkie, No, I am correct, you do have right of Abode.

My B in L whose Grand Father was born in the UK recently moved to the UK, Canadian Born, and had no trouble getting a work permit,he stayed for almost 2 years, also got NIH coverage.

I have not been back to the UK for about 2 years, before that it was annually, sometimes several times a year,a nd it has been about 50 since I left.

Some parts of London have changed dramatically, Mosques and my old street is now Nelson Mandela Way, but get out beyond commuting distance of London and things are much as they have been for centuries.

I got my Passport by completeing the forms over the web, good for 10 years(Canada only for 5 years), and after I am 75 I won't have to pay for it.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

My MIL was German and I suggested some years ago to my wife to get in contact with the ambassy and try to get back a (her :-) German citizenship. The unfortunate thing about it, though she's a direct daughter of a 100% German mother, is first that it is not easy at all (they asked a lot of questions about the reasons for that step..., etc.) and second that they would expect to strip you of your current citizenship (i.e. French) which I would not have minded about, but my wife did ! She could not have both citizenships. You had to choose. Just my two cents.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
In my travelling youth days, when I spend some time in France where I was born, I thought it might be advantageous to having dual citizenship so I inquired about getting French citizenship papers. I was told in order to get my papers I would have to serve in the French military. Unlike the USA, I wonder if being born to non-French citizens was the reason.
I wonder what new requirementa are needed to get European citizen papers.

MJ
MJ,

1) each country in Europe has its own regulations as far as getting citizenship is concerned.

2) having to serve 12mths in the military had nothing to do with not being born to French parents. It just had to do, that at the time of your request, each and every French citizen had to serve 12 months. Having that pleasure would have been the very recognition of your new citizenship !!!

As an aside conclusion, as the law has changed and as there is no longer any military service in France, you could try to resume your request at no other risk than ending French which might not be the best gift you could receive !
Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Honkie, No, I am correct, you do have right of Abode.

My B in L whose Grand Father was born in the UK recently moved to the UK, Canadian Born, and had no trouble getting a work permit, he stayed for almost 2 years, also got NIH coverage.
Getting a work permit to live and work and acquiring rights deriving from the entitlements of hereditary nationality are two very different things. I would still stand by my original assertion.

As far as Britain is concerned, a persons British Citizenship derives in two ways: one is "By Descent", the other is termed "Otherwise than By Descent". The child of A British Citizen, if the child is born outside of the UK, DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY retain the ability to pass on British Nationality to their children. If that child subsequently does not live in Britain, or has no ties or links to Britain itself and has a child with a non British National, the Right to British Citizenship for that child dimishes. Thus, a tenuous link to a Brit Grandparent will not confer definite rights of citizenship upon a person born outside Britain with no personally and significant links.

For NIH, I presume you mean NHS (National Health Service), the free public health system. That is free to use for any resident of the UK, so even an asylum seeker, illegal immigrant, ot temporary worker on a visa (think Austrlian bar worker!) is fully entitled to use it.

Cheers,

Honkie
Old 02-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
They thought they were heading south to balmy Minnesota to escape from those nasty Scandinavian winters?
My best friend is Finnish with her parents born in Finland. They visist Finland on occasion. They say it looks just like Northern Minnesota, except that they eat more ice cream in Finland.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I tasted a tiny bit once. The slimy fishy taste was compensated for by the gooey, gelatinous texture.

Must have forgot the mustard.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My best friend is Finnish with her parents born in Finland.* They visist Finland on occasion.* They say it looks just like Northern Minnesota, except that they eat more ice cream in Finland.*
My paternal ancestors came from Germany, but the family name is much much more common in Finland.

Not that I have any desire to go to either place and locate remote cousins. I'd be much happier giving out surfing lessons here...