Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Overhyped Countries
Old 02-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #61

Honkie, I agree, the Son gets automatic Citizenship, the Grand ? does not, but you are allowed to visit and to work,a nd after a Residency period, you may apply for Citizenship.

My Two sons, both born in Canada, have the Red Passport, I just sent in my Birth Certificate(for good measure I sent my Father's and His Fathers.)(My Buddy, an Irishman, has done the same thing).

It gets complicated of your Mother was born there, the rules used to be differant?

We have toyed with the idea of going back home for a few years, winters in Spain or Portugal, but never for a permanent move.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #62

Honkie ...Seems you are correct here. I found this link

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...tizenship.html

Howard ... wife was registered as a brit in the mid-seventies and our boys got UK passports also. It seems their kids, if they ever have any, wont.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Must have forgot the mustard.
Yeah, thats what my friend from minnesota said. Unfortunately that just made it spicier and still disgusting
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Didn't like it in Washington as a kid - with anything and sure as heck didn't have it on my list after 30 yrs of New Orlean's style seafood.

Now - as a backpacker in CO days - Son's of Norway -sardines - not too bad.

lutefisk - was not my bag.

heh heh heh
Old 02-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #65

mike-1 , we are all in agreement, Right of Abode does not confer a Red Passport, it just means you have the right to live and work there,and then apply for your Citizenship after a waiting period.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #66

This site will allow UK citizens to order Birth Certificates etc

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp
Old 02-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
mike-1 , we are all in agreement, Right of Abode does not confer a Red Passport, it just means you have the right to live and work there,and then apply for your Citizenship after a waiting period.
Howard, when over there for several months in the first half of 1999 (perhaps you recall my thread at TFL 'Letter from London') I was told that any person with a EU passport could use the National Health free of charge and, similarly by reciprocity, a Brit could use the European health services.

I can't vouch for it though.

I do know though that I could have worked anywhere in the EU without problems.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyet
As an aside conclusion, as the law has changed and as there is no longer any military service in France, you could try to resume your request at no other risk than ending French which might not be the best gift you could receive !
Hey, no one's perfect, n'est pas ?
I am not sure if I would want to be a citizen of Texas, but if becoming one, I could have the "right of abode" in the US, well a Texan I would be. Oh, I forgot, Texas is part of good ol' US of A.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

Or may be they found it boring being taken care of by the government - from birth to grave. This concept is quite scary to many people.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

MJ, n'est ce pas ?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #71

I met a Finnish guy in Cambodia who paid for his overseas vacations by buying copies of brand name shoes/clothes and reselling them in Helsinki. On this trip he told me he bought 40 pairs of "Pumas" for $10 and would resell them for $40 / pair back home.

Me "Do your customs officers make you pay duy?" Him "How can they? I tell them I have many brothers, sister, nieces, nephews, cousins...."

Gotta love a country like that

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:18 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
MJ, n'est ce pas ?
picky picky picky...... merci mon ami.

MJ
Old 02-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #73

Hell mj, fifty years of reading French on my Cereal Boxes, something had to stick.

French Guy turns the Boxes so French side is displayed, English guy turns the Box around so the English side shows.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I forgot, Texas is part of good ol' US of A. Grin Wink
Depends on who you ask.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #75

Catherine,
Just got back from vacation in Caribbean and DW is making noises about how she would rather go somewhere else in Feb next year and couldn't we find someplace warm in Europe? I thought immediately of Malta, but the weather charts suggest you are getting 59 degrees F/ 15 degrees C sort of weather now -- is that unusual for Feb or is it pretty much the norm? I know that isn't cold, but it isn't 80 degree Carib weather either... or are there other places in Europe (spain? Cyprus?) with reliable warmth this time of year? If you live anywhere in the northeast or northern midwest, you've just gotta get someplace warm in winter or you start to go a bit batty... (at least I do! :P )

Old 02-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Just got back from vacation in Caribbean and DW is making noises about how she would rather go somewhere else in Feb next year and couldn't we find someplace warm in Europe?
I guess it depends on how cold is cold. I'm getting a little paranoid because we put our full PV array online in late Jan and our solar water heater on 7 Feb-- and since then it's been rainy or cloudy (mostly both) every day. Maybe March will be better.

Rota and the surroundings weren't too bad in 1980s winters.

What about the Madeiras or the Canary Islands?

There are a lot of flights to Hawaii through O'Hare!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #77

Nords,
If even Hawaii is cold and cloudy maybe I should lower the bar for anywhere else, too.

Good idea on the Canaries, btw -- went there in 1978 and had a great time -- there were cheap tix from a 'bucket shop' in London where I was an exchange student at the time -- 30 pounds round trip. Got my first head-scratching lesson in cheap travel though -- we were three of us sitting in a row on the flight down and began comparing notes-- Turns out we'd all bought the tix from the same small travel consolidator -- the young Irish guy on my left paid 15 pounds, I'd paid 30 and the middle aged guy on my right had paid 60 pounds. He was especially upset, though, since he was a loyal and regular customer of the travel consolidator, even bringing the agents gift baskets every christmas etc.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

It was in the low 70's and sunny here in the central valley most of the past week.

Alas, 63 and raining today. Had to RUN from the car to the store to avoid getting wet and chilly.

Yes, minnesotans, theres a light on the horizon. Its not the sun, its the landing lights of a 747. But theres a light...

Stopped raining out temporarily, and the baby just went down. Time for me to go put a couple of pre-salted rib eyes on the grill alongside a humongous amount of fresh asparagus...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-in-SC
My wife and I (and sons) lived in Argentina and Gabon during the 1980's. We lived in Comodoro Rivadavia in southern Argentina which my wife disliked due to the dust and sometimes strong constant winds. We visited Buenos Aires several times for several weeks and we both loved it.

We lived in Port Gentil, Gabon which is on the Atlantic coast about 40 miles south of the Equator. The beaches were beautiful. The food stuff was mostly imported from Europe which made it expensive but a hefty cost of living allowance from Amoco took care of that. The not so good part was the reservoir of diseases (Aids, hepatitus, malaria, and other tropical diseases), the lack of medical facilities and care, and government corruption with rule by a dictator (still in power today).

Well, then by the fact the Buenos Aires is in the cover story of New York Magazine, then perhaps it is too late to go there...

http://www.newyorkmag.com/guides/changeyourlife/16047/
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #80

I think the article's author has a valid point -- it is essential to do your own homework before buying the hype, but he obviously didn't do his homework. A luxury condo in Phuket will not set you back anywhere near $4500/night. That sum is more close to 10 months' rent. Heck, a condo can be bought for $35,000, why would anyone besides the most greenhorn of tourists pony up $4500/night?

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote