Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have not been using an agency, get one now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I do tell the truth, but I often get the "whatever" look = disbelief that it is the truth look.

I also cut off my resume at 1 page just listing employers for the past 10 years.
But clearly my history goes way beyond 10 years which also surprises them when they see me in person.
The long resume is something that many tell you to trim. However it's bad advice, and here's why. In 2005 I landed an 8-year gig based on one acronym from a temp job in the 80's. Thirty years later I landed a high paying contract due to another acronym from same 80's time period. In current job I work with people who moved through the same company I started with in first job. During the interview that was an area of focus.

What I do is maintain an up to date CV, and tailor that to the need. LinkedIn gets one version that is very short and to the point. Monster and dice get the long version. Any new applications I feed in the entire CV. You do not know what keywords they look for, so it is better to include as many as possible. In you cover letter you can be specific and brief. Highlight why your experience is important to them.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

update:

Two weeks ago I went in for an interview with a company I worked at nearly a decade ago. My former manager was still there though I would not be working for him this time around.
The interview was for a full time permanent position.
I think it will be the last gasp at a full time job in my field.
No update from them; I asked.

In the meantime I have created a second resume of one page in length highlighting my Excel skills - seems every office job requires it.
Applying for office positions.
Four in-person interviews have resulted, but no job offer.
I could not get beyond the phone screen with Wayfair.

Interestingly, I met a guy who was in IT. About my age.
He's now repairs bikes not sure if he meant bicycles or motorcycles.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote