Join Early Retirement Today

Own Nothing for Maintenance Free Life
Old 03-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Own Nothing for Maintenance Free Life

Maintenance on houses, yards, cars. Paying for insurance, electricity, water, cable tv, buying random stuff.

Can all of this be avoided by simply never owning anything?

I'm thinking a backpack worth of essentials and renting nice places throughout the world.

Let's see, maybe $1,000/week rent, $1,000/month food, $1,000/month health, $1,000 month travel and entertainment. Total $88,000 year.

I guess it would be fairly expensive after all...
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are people who do this:

How to Sell Your House and See the World - WSJ

http://homefreeadventures.com/

Quote:
In 2011, we sold our charming house in Central California’s wine country, gave away the furniture, and stuffed our art, clothes and small treasures into a 10 x 15 storage unit. We said goodbye to our surprised children and quizzical friends and now we live in rented apartments and houses internationally, putting down new roots one country at a time.
Obviously, they have money. And I think they earn extra $$'s through their website and writing. 2014 travels seemed a bit tame compared to 2013.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We know a couple who "do not have a home".

They're retired teachers and do a yearly circuit from New England to Florida to Arizona to California and back to New England as the seasons progress.

They stay in the same rental homes for about the same amount of time each year, getting the most of out each area's weather and events. I'm guessing it is not inexpensive as we see them eating out almost every night (but happy hour in Florida often is cheaper than eating at home!)
Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought about owning nothing once in my late teens and twenties.

Had minor experiences while in the Army, then w*rking on a research ship bumming around the oceans and interesting ports of the world and enjoying escaping from sleazy docks for a year or so. All of my worldly possesions fit in a small bag.

The port visits were great, saved lots of $. A few years after disembarking back in NY. I bought a house.

I like having a place where I can choose to do what to I feel like for the most part. Save for minor annoyances like zoning and laws.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suspect you can do it as cheap as you want. In '92-'93 I took a trip around the world and the entire year ( which included food, lodging, and air travel buses etc.) about 16k. People I knew moved into my house paid the utilities, took care of my pets etc. I think I paid the property tax, home and car insurance.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have known one or two older widowers who have actually lived in hotels. If you stay long term, I think you get a break on the price. Still, it may seem expensive but probably isn't for what you get. You'd get maid service, of course, and wouldn't have to cook if eating out all the time.

Yesterday I was sort of wistfully thinking about this option, and thinking that that might be really nice in one's later years if one could afford it. I already spend between $13-20 per day just in keeping up my SFH (repair, maintenance, upgrades, insurance, property taxes - - they add up!).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
...Let's see, maybe $1,000/week rent, $1,000/month food, $1,000/month health, $1,000 month travel and entertainment. Total $88,000 year.

Hold on...my quick and dirty math yields about half that amount - $48k/yr. quick! Get going!!!
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

Probably could do half in all categories and make it 44k.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Hold on...my quick and dirty math yields about half that amount - $48k/yr. quick! Get going!!!
A little too dirty. One of those $1000 expenses is weekly, not monthly.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
I suspect you can do it as cheap as you want. In '92-'93 I took a trip around the world and the entire year ( which included food, lodging, and air travel buses etc.) about 16k. People I knew moved into my house paid the utilities, took care of my pets etc. I think I paid the property tax, home and car insurance.
+1

Even for a couple, $88k/yr of permatravel sounds pretty luxurious compared to my normal budget travel.

I think the Kaderlis (longtime members here) did it for way less than that. Jeremy and Winnie at gocurrycracker (also members here) are doing it in relative luxury for $40k-ish plus IVF and baby-related expenses (which are way cheaper overseas than here in the US).

More generally, I think the idea is pretty appealing. I don't particularly like mowing my grass or dealing with maintenance tasks (or even overseeing contractors performing maintenance tasks). But at the end of the day, it feels good to lay down in my own bed at night, have my most prized possessions near me, and know I can stay here indefinitely rent-free.

We might sell everything and give permatravel a shot one day, or maybe not. Who knows.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

Why not live on a cruise ship for much of the year? Room, meals, pool, fitness center all included for less than $1,000/week means you could pretty much live on shops all year for less than $52,000. You could probably qualify for frequent cruiser discounts to drive the expenses even lower. Plenty of interesting ports of call, no responsibilities whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Is it really anything more than LBYM taken to another level? Many here live simpler lives with fewer possessions than the indebted mainstream...and have less 'life maintenance' as a result.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If you want to be radical about it read some Jack Reacher novels. Reacher doesn't even carry spare clothes. He just stops in cheap stores and buys a pair of pants, a shirt, socks and u-trou when he needs a change.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

This is essentially what I am doing now (except I do own an auto) but moving around within the US rather than the world. When I sold my house a couple of years ago, I only kept what I could take in my SUV which is not much since I have an old lab that travels with me and takes up a bit of room. I have been renting for 1-3 months with each move, and it is not that expensive when you rent monthly.

I am thinking of buying another small RV to travel and call home for a few months to a year as I enjoy exploring national forests and parks in the west. I may eventually buy property again if I ever decide where I want to live but sure haven't missed owning a home.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

May not be applicable today, but our near term plan is to move to the Apartments in our CCRC... not so much for the $$$, but for the freedom from managing money and paying bills.

Current rental costs are $25K/yr for one, and another $5k for the second person.
2BR, 2BA in a very elegant apartment, which covers:
Maintenance
Rental
Taxes
Insurance
Meals
Housekeeping, twice a week.
All Utilities incl. TV and internet
Transportation...shopping, medical, entertainment,
In house shops, beauty parlor, library, meeting rooms etc..
Access to in-house full service fitness center w/state of the art equipment.

Leaving the only $$$ management for medicare/health payments.

Not for younger people, but safe haven and minimal worries for older people, and care burden for their relatives.

Of couse, if one never gets old, a waste of money.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out this guy!

Top Blue Jays prospect Daniel Norris lives by his own code
freetodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Maintenance on houses, yards, cars. Paying for insurance, electricity, water, cable tv, buying random stuff.

Can all of this be avoided by simply never owning anything?

I'm thinking a backpack worth of essentials and renting nice places throughout the world.

Let's see, maybe $1,000/week rent, $1,000/month food, $1,000/month health, $1,000 month travel and entertainment. Total $88,000 year.

(Humor) There is a way to avoid all that maintenance, have free housing, free utilities, free meals and if you agree to behave poorly you can even score some solitude. Of course there's always a catch - eventually you would get paroled.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #18

For about 5 years, I traveled to various parts of the world with no fixed address. I lived in some places for a long time, in others I was just passing through. I studied new languages and cultures and made tons of new friends. But that is a *way* more complicated life than living in one place. . . lots of planning and uncertainty and discomfort at times. Sorry to burst any bubbles!!!

Anyway, about 3 years ago I gave up that sort of living and have a home base in the Philippines now. While I don't regret my travels at all, I don't think I would ever go without some kind of home base again.

Just because you live somewhere permanently doesn't mean you have to get bogged down in the details of maintaining your life and your possessions.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
(Humor) There is a way to avoid all that maintenance, have free housing, free utilities, free meals and if you agree to behave poorly you can even score some solitude. Of course there's always a catch - eventually you would get paroled.
Some people do this: Indiana bank robbber, ex-con, tells judge he robbed bank to get sent back to prison for the max - CBS News

Sad, but free housing,meals,medical care, work/hobby options are attractive compared to other choices.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Some people do this: Indiana bank robbber, ex-con, tells judge he robbed bank to get sent back to prison for the max - CBS News

Sad, but free housing,meals,medical care, work/hobby options are attractive compared to other choices.
I'd do that before freezing to death living rough on the streets.

Of course if I had welding skillz, I could probably hustle up enough work on craigslist and by word of mouth with local contractors to afford a lifestyle just a notch higher than an 8x13 cell (though without the full time companionship offered by a live in roommate).