Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I think it's a great idea to rent over a winter. I bet there are probably some available vacation homes. I'm not sure if the economy has recovered there, but 4 years ago, there were many vacation homes for sale or lease. Pagosa Springs went through a boom time and then a time when they had the most foreclosures in the country in vacation homes. We were trying to sell just after that period and our buyer could hardly find a mortgage company willing to lend in PS for a second home. Not to mention, it took weeks, sometimes months, to get electricians, appraisers, and plumbers to do work for the sale. We would have gladly leased the home till the market improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Thank you.

Interesting about the real estate prices especially vacation homes. From what I've been learning, many of the vacation homes are folks from TX, I hear it's cooler here. So when the TX economy moves so moves the price of PS real estate. Between the minor financial events of the late 2000s and fluctuations in oil money in TX think I understand the volatility. I actually saw the records on a property on Grimes Creek where some poor person appeared to lose 50% on a 400k home between 2009-2013.

County website shows a pretty good recovery now but still not back the highs. Compared to Durango or the front range this place is very affordable. Small town living isn't for everyone, it does have a lot of appeal to us. We both grew up in PA in a small town(Williamsport) that had a week of tourism late summer and then back to normal.

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!