Join Early Retirement Today

Pagosa Springs, CO
Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pagosa Springs, CO

DW and I have been looking for a new home base. We've only been looking for 8+ years. We've been here for a while and are really liking it. Great fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking, 300 sunny days a year are all the things we both love(except the skiing, but we've never tried). Looking at some property today we're very pleased with this area of the state.

So in this great big group there has to be some knowledge of this area. Anyone know anything about the area? Been there and love or hate it? Any thoughts on research you would do?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Been there in the RV a few times. Very nice place to visit but never considered living there as we aren't moving anywhere other than to AL/NH/FRP.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We have friends who retired there, they love it. Seems to me there is a lot of snow. They go to Phoenix a couple months at the beginning of the year in their rv. We leave AZ April 1 and would like to visit them on the way home but there are always many inches of snow on the ground, we're not interested in seeing snow. That's why we leave Illinois for the winter!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only thing I know of Pagosa Springs I heard from C. W. McCall in "Wolf Creek Pass." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you move there you have to try skiing or snowborarding at Wolf Creek Ski Area. Its about 20 minutes to the mountain and they get a lot of powder which is great for learning since falling is less painful.

It seems like Colorado would be a great place to spend time if you love the outdoors.

Summer or winter.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

If you like snow and cold winters, then you can have a great time.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice place with lots to do. But make sure whatever you buy has good water. The water in that area has lots of minerals and water wells are not always good for drinking.
We've been there a few times in our motor coach and really enjoyed that entire southern Colorado area. Lots of areas to 4x4, hike, etc.
Oh yeah that area suffered some effects from that mine spill last year(?).
Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Oh yeah that area suffered some effects from that mine spill last year(?).
The Gold King mine spill was into the Animas River, located 50 miles west of Pagosa Springs. That river runs through Durango, then to the south into New Mexico, so no impact to Pagosa Springs.

Gold King Mine Spill Water & Sediment Sample Locations

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I drove through there last Fall on the way back from a trip out west. I could probably live there for a portion of the year. Doubt I would like the winters, but I'm just a southern boy.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice place, been through there a few times. Definitely a lot to do in the region. As with moving to any small, rural area your access to medical care is limited.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

How are the soaking hot springs?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Hot Springs, brew pubs, close to northern NM and the treasures of SW Colorado like Mesa Verde. I would live there.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

Pagosa Springs, CO

Our parents owned a vacation home there and my brother lived there for a few years. It's a lovely place to be most of the year, but the winters can be rough. They moved away because there were times they couldn't get out in winter, plus they had to go 4 hours to get to a big airport.

I might mention that money was lost on the sale of both pieces of real estate, because the values had gone down. Also, when you need services like plumbers and electricians, we often had to wait weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #14

Pagosa Springs, CO is in the middle of the state close to the state line. Looks like it's in the plains, just south of the mountains.

My only concern would be that there's no other cities around. We like to be a little closer proximity to other cities.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Pagosa Springs, CO is in the middle of the state close to the state line. Looks like it's in the plains, just south of the mountains.

My only concern would be that there's no other cities around. We like to be a little closer proximity to other cities.

Lol. Guess you haven't been there. It's at the edge of a high mountain pass. Certainly not the plains.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #16
Administrator

Never been there. Sounds way, way too cold for me, though. Deep freeze, for sure, BRRRRRRRRR...... (Shiver, shiver)

Maybe rent there for 4-6 months in the most miserable, coldest depths of winter, before buying? You could use the time to check out neighborhoods and further familiarize yourselves with the area.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Never been there. Sounds way, way too cold for me, though. Deep freeze, for sure, BRRRRRRRRR...... (Shiver, shiver)

Maybe rent there for 4-6 months in the most miserable, coldest depths of winter, before buying? You could use the time to check out neighborhoods and further familiarize yourselves with the area.
300 days of sunshine in Colorado. Even the coldest days are in the sun. Colorado winters sure beat the winters I had growing up in Wisconsin.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
Administrator

Winters in Places like Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico1597 View Post
[...]Seems to me there is a lot of snow.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
If you like snow and cold winters, then you can have a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I drove through there last Fall on the way back from a trip out west. I could probably live there for a portion of the year. Doubt I would like the winters, but I'm just a southern boy.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
300 days of sunshine in Colorado. Even the coldest days are in the sun. Colorado winters sure beat the winters I had growing up in Wisconsin.
I'll take your word on that!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I should have added more to my comments above. We did go skiing there before our friends moved there. We all flew into Albuquerque, then drove a rental car 4 hours to get to the rented condo in Pagosa Springs. We skied Wolf Creek several times, then took the drive to Durango for a day trip skiing. We went to the town's hot springs one evening, that was fun. Middle of January, we are walking around in our swim suits and flip flops, trying out the various springs. I remember bathrooms being close for the dash to get dressed when finished. Think the individual springs had signs giving the temperature of the waters.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:

I think it's a great idea to rent over a winter. I bet there are probably some available vacation homes. I'm not sure if the economy has recovered there, but 4 years ago, there were many vacation homes for sale or lease. Pagosa Springs went through a boom time and then a time when they had the most foreclosures in the country in vacation homes. We were trying to sell just after that period and our buyer could hardly find a mortgage company willing to lend in PS for a second home. Not to mention, it took weeks, sometimes months, to get electricians, appraisers, and plumbers to do work for the sale. We would have gladly leased the home till the market improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum