Join Early Retirement Today

Palacios, TX???
Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Palacios, TX???

Over the weekend, DW and I attended a highly-advertised, newly-developed land offering located near Palacios, TX. Very nice dockable waterfront lots, ½ to 3 acres, on Carancahua Bay, which opens up to Matagorda Bay, with direct access to the Gulf of Mexico. Lot prices seemed reasonable, but I’ve yet to do any due diligence, so would need to research some more to be sure. All the advertising for the event (in the Houston and San Antonio markets) apparently created quite a buzz and the event was very well attended, and by mid-afternoon they claimed to have sold over half of the 95 lots that were available.

DW and I were tempted to snap up a very nice southern-facing lot with beautiful views, as a future full-time home-site. The thing holding us back was our uneasiness with idea relocating to the Palacios area. Based on our admittedly very limited exposure, it’s a very quiet, sleepy little town, but with very little in the way of restaurants or shopping. After living in the Houston metro area for the last 20 years, we’re really ready to get away from the big city. But, this seems to almost go too far in the other direction. Were used to visiting some of the coastal areas a little closer to Galveston, which have a lot more to offer in terms of dining, shopping and things to do in general.

Has anyone here spent much time in this area? If so, I’d be interested in your opinions on the pros and cons on the area.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Lived in Bay City for 6 years (late 90s) and kept a sailboat at the marina in Palacios for most of that time. It's not a bad small town, but as you are aware, it's quite small and you have a heck of a drive to get to many amenities. For us, it was a nice, inexpensive place to keep the boat with a almost empty bay to sail in. Lots of nice memories.

I think it comes down to what you're looking for. If it were me and I had bought the land, I'd build something small, easily maintained that I could leave and go back to my 'real' home when I got tired of Palacios. Either that or just buy an empty lot and pull my camper down there and camp on my lot.

I'd be cautious as to whether the promised 'neighborhood' ends up as you or the salesperson imagine it. If the neighborhood doesn't reach critical mass, then what happens? How does it end up? Full of trailers? Personally, I'd buy in an area that's already built out a bit more.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not much there. I'm surprised about this new development.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you like salt water boating, fishing and remote living on the Gulf coast then it's probably as good as many along the Texas Gulf coast. Not for me, since the stigma of Hurricane Carla making landfall along the Palacios/Matagorta area still lingers in my mind 50+ years later.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I know exactly which new development you are talking about. I would have no problem buying there. That part of the Matagorda Bay area is poised to take off mainly cause its one of the few areas left with any room for development. That part of the coast is absolutely booming and growing at a huge rate.
Get in early if you really want the salt experience.
Carancahua Bay is a beautiful unspoiled and relatively uncrowded bay.
Port Lavaca all the way to Port A and CC is developing as a new redneck gold coast. Go for IT !
aggie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

you will have hurricane risk anywhere on the coast - I don't think it matters if you live in Brownsville or Beaumont

Palacios seems like a sweet spot to me; shouldn't be that crowded the fishing/waterfowl hunting should be awesome

any golf courses around there?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you will have hurricane risk anywhere on the coast - I don't think it matters if you live in Brownsville or Beaumont
If I were interested (but I'm not) in living on the coast, I wouldn't let the fear of Hurricanes keep me away. (although the memory of Hurricane Carla has stayed with me) Same with living on the US west coast with earthquakes or tornadoes for much of the US, east of the Rockies. None of that would stop me from living there, if that's where I wanted to live. There are natural (and unnatural) risks, everywhere. It's just another form of lifes risk acceptance. At least with Hurricanes you usually have time to evacuate, "unless you live in Houston". (Tried "once" to evacuate there from a storm.)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
If I were interested (but I'm not) in living on the coast, I wouldn't let the fear of Hurricanes keep me away. (although the memory of Hurricane Carla has stayed with me) Same with living on the US west coast with earthquakes or tornadoes for much of the US, east of the Rockies. None of that would stop me from living there, if that's where I wanted to live. There are natural (and unnatural) risks, everywhere. It's just another form of lifes risk acceptance. At least with Hurricanes you usually have time to evacuate, "unless you live in Houston". (Tried "once" to evacuate there from a storm.)
I've been through several and I can't imagine what it would be like on the coast - while it would be nice to live somewhere like Corpus, no way DW could handle another hurricane. Ike was the last one for us. We were out of power for 20 days.

The only real threat we have in the 83702 is fire.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Or anywhere along the coast in LA, MS, AL, or FL!