Join Early Retirement Today

PalmSprings to Portland roadtrip suggestions
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PalmSprings to Portland roadtrip suggestions

Kinda fed up with the rentals - having 2 roofs replaced and weatherization/windows done at two other places, showing for several vacancies and the local law just kicked in another door to check on an uncooperative tenant (yeah. right.). The Section 8 crowd is calling like mad, the lookie-loos and the Chinese student groups are practicing their "interviewing for an apartment" skills, a downstairs bathroom just got rained on again from the lady upstair's bathroom - she's sure the shower curtain was in place....
ROADTRIP TIME!
My honey is down in 29 Palms with her Mom, her dealership needs a car transported from Cathedral City, I'm flying down on Weds. the 25th and we'll drive up starting the 28th. We should be back by the 1st. Anyone have any great suggestions for places to see, stay, or eat on the way up? I lean toward great dives and diners for food and appreciate old places with character more than new lah-de-dah hotels. SWMBO wants to see the redwoods... Who has some favorite haunts/must sees for us?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years ago we did a road trip from Portland to San Francisco. It was great! Much different coast than ours in the east.

We loved Yachats Inn, in Yachats OR, I think a couple hours from Portland. Older but well kept motel, right on the coast, affordable. We arrived late, listened to the waves all night, and when the sun came up we realized we had a great view too! (I think they also have newer rooms, but they are farther from the water) We had breakfast just down the street in a little diner with a wonderful view of the ocean and town.

Enjoy your trip!
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
gone traveling

Red's Java Hut

$
Granted, it's not the best food in SF. In fact, the burgers are just slightly more appetizing than warm shoe leather. But when it comes to reliving a slice of old San Francisco, Red's is an institution. Head down on a sunny day, get a burger and a beer, and enjoy your lunch outside among the seagulls, imagining what San Francisco was like in the days when you didn't have to be a high-tech millionaire to afford a studio apartment.

It's near the ballpark, the mission bay development and plenty of $1,000 a square feet starter condo's. Come on a weekday and I'll buy the beer!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Take in Mount Hood and while in Portland take the Columbia River Gorge scenic drive... It is gorgeous.

I have not been there, but Crater lake (in Oregon) is supposed to be spectacular also.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to stay cool, stick to the coast. Just returned from thereabouts, and it was HOT everywhere inland. Take 101 thru the Redwoods and on up the spectacular Oregon coast.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogBlogger View Post
If you want to stay cool, stick to the coast. Just returned from thereabouts, and it was HOT everywhere inland. Take 101 thru the Redwoods and on up the spectacular Oregon coast.
It looks to be an interesting trip. SWMBO has never been to Yosemite, and since we would be close to the giant grove of Sequoias that may need a detour, then there's the coast redwoods up north - gotta drive through the tree - but wait ! Crater lake! and the southern Oregon coast! Dealership's gonna freak - 2000 miles to get from Cathedral City to Dallas Oregon?!??
Old 07-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogBlogger View Post
If you want to stay cool, ...it was HOT everywhere ....
BTW, my avatar is of our cat thermometer - that's 90 degree kitty.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We did Palm Springs to Santa Barbara. Then PCH to Hearst Castle. On to Big Sur. Then Carmel and SF. Across Golden Gate to Sausalito then on to Redwood Forest then back east to Napa-Sonoma-Mendocino and north on PCH again. (3 trips in our case because we go to SF lots)

On another trip, PCH to Tillamook, Canon Beach, Sunnyside, Portland.