Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Our favorite local (independent) coffee shop has Pandora playing at all times. Even though the staff is all less than half our age, we like almost everything they play even though we don't know what half of it is. We like hearing new music. They have a well honed like/dislike list developed over years and various staff - I wish I could just copy their like/dislike history (can I?).
Why yes you can, if the other party will share (of course)! https://help.pandora.com/customer/po...ing-on-pandora

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
But my LPs and CDs don't cost me ANYTHING per month.

More seriously, I have been very disappointed with the depths of the playlists on any of these musical services for my (admittedly unpopular) tastes in music. Baroque opera, anyone? French harpsichord music? Bob Wills and other western swing? Yodeling cowboys? Bach Cantatas?

Perhaps things will change for the better, but for now I am MUCH better off with my collection.
Sure but just try fitting your LPs and CDs in your pocket ... and your CDs don't cost anything per month only if you've stopped buying them

But yes, I looked around Spotify for what they have to offer along your tastes and it is indeed barren ... not a practical option for you.

I do a regular radio show and am always on the lookout for something new and Spotify is indispensable for that. I wonder how many of us are still purchasing music? I'm thinking that many of us have what we have and that is it ... perhaps the streaming choices discussed here satisfy the desire to hear new music and that's as far as it goes.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I wonder how many of us are still purchasing music? I'm thinking that many of us have what we have and that is it ... perhaps the streaming choices discussed here satisfy the desire to hear new music and that's as far as it goes.
Good point. I can't remember the last full album I purchased, and I rarely purchase single songs from iTunes any more since it's so effortless to listen to Pandora. I have over 2,000 songs in my playlist but I suspect that will pretty much be my final collection of purchased songs. This can't be good for the music industry.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Sure but just try fitting your LPs and CDs in your pocket ... and your CDs don't cost anything per month only if you've stopped buying them

But yes, I looked around Spotify for what they have to offer along your tastes and it is indeed barren ... not a practical option for you.

I do a regular radio show and am always on the lookout for something new and Spotify is indispensable for that. I wonder how many of us are still purchasing music? I'm thinking that many of us have what we have and that is it ... perhaps the streaming choices discussed here satisfy the desire to hear new music and that's as far as it goes.
I've uploaded to Googleplay the 40% or so of my collection that I've loaded into iTunes so I CAN carry my collection around in my pocket, although most of the time it's running in my head, anyway.

You are right, I do still buy CDs on occasion. Once each year or so I go to Berkshire Record Outlet's online site and blow a hundred bucks or so on 20-30 new CDs.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I have more than enough music here already to last me the rest of my life, in the form of a large-ish CD collection that I have been transferring to hard drive for the last few years. I also like to listen to music intelligently presented by hosts (as opposed to mindless "liner-jocks"), for which I listen to BBC Radio 6 on my stand-alone internet radio. It's programmed for my demographic - a 50 year-old British guy with a taste for rock/pop. For news, current affairs and other talk, I listen to BBC Radio 4. From time to time, I "spin the dial" on the internet radio and catch a bit of programming from somewhere else on the globe. The only terrestrial station I listen to is KALX, the college station that comes from the campus of UC Berkeley.

I have tried Spotify a few times but most of the stuff I'd want to listen to, I already have on CD or hard drive and for the few songs I don't have, I can find them on YouTube if I need to "scratch the itch" to hear a song that came into my head. Haven't tried Pandora or XM/Sirius.
Is that available to US listeners or only in the UK like iPlayer?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Is that available to US listeners or only in the UK like iPlayer?
US listeners can listen to BBC radio on the iPlayer - it's BBC TV that is restricted outside the UK (unless you're viewing via a proxy server.) The variety of talk, news, drama and music on BBC radio, all intelligently presented, is fantastic. One of the wonderful things about the internet is that I can sit in my place on the west coast, looking at palm trees through the window, while listening to BBC radio. What a luxury!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had satellite rdio for a few years and loved it. We have a system that allows us to move it from home to car. Unfortunately, the signal has really degraded the last year. We complained, they had us reconnect, but it starts again. So we are canceling.

Instead we got ipods. We loaded all of our music on them, created playlists. We just got back from a big road trip and we loved the ipods!!! We don't have smart phones either so no streaming.

We find we use the ipods for lots of things: my husband uses his while clearing snow or doing yard work - I use mine to ease my mind at sleep time.

Can't believe we waited so long to get them.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #28

I still use iPods for the gym.

Still have fifth gen Nano with the click wheel because I listen to podcasts a lot and you can go to the exact point in a long podcast with the wheel.

You can't do that with the newer iPods with touch screens or phones.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

"Good point. I can't remember the last full album I purchased, and I rarely purchase single songs from iTunes any more since it's so effortless to listen to Pandora. I have over 2,000 songs in my playlist but I suspect that will pretty much be my final collection of purchased songs. This can't be good for the music industry."

Don't feel too bad for the music industry, they get a royalty on every song you listen to on Pandora. That why you can't skip over more than like six songs and if you are not a monthly/yearly subscriber they will stop playing music every few hours and put up the verbage "are you still listening?". They are just not earning maybe as much the old traditional way on CD, Album sales etc but they have income coming in through many different online sources now. They don't seem to be hurting too much, IMO.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone know how to find song set lists from XM radio?

I have sat radio in my truck but it doesn't work at home in Alaska. I bought the truck in Idaho... on the drive home I was listening to the XM Outlaw Country station... they played some pretty good tunes from artists I have never heard of... I'm hoping I could find these songs on Spotify,
Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Pandora not Spotify but I believe they are similar in how they build your listening lists. You should be able to put in the names of one or more artists that you enjoyed on the XM Outlaw station and Spotify will start to build a compatible playlist of similar artists. i have really expanded my music listening interests since I first started listening to Pandora. My daughter uses Spotify and is happy with it too.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
I use Pandora not Spotify but I believe they are similar in how they build your listening lists. You should be able to put in the names of one or more artists that you enjoyed on the XM Outlaw station and Spotify will start to build a compatible playlist of similar artists. i have really expanded my music listening interests since I first started listening to Pandora. My daughter uses Spotify and is happy with it too.
Unfortunately I don't have the artist names or song names. I should have wrote the info down while I was traveling. I was hoping someone knew how to find the playlist from the XM stations.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rlsa View Post
I was hoping someone knew how to find the playlist from the XM stations.
Here you go:

XM Playlist Search - XM Satellite Radio - DogstarRadio.com

You can leave the search fields blank and just select the channel you want the playlist for.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Here you go:

XM Playlist Search - XM Satellite Radio - DogstarRadio.com

You can leave the search fields blank and just select the channel you want the playlist for.

Thank you Snidely! This is exactly what I was looking for... how's Dudley?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that existed. Figured XM wouldn't let that out. Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Big Pandora fan. I especially play it when I work out (the ads are few and short so it doesn't really bother me) and while we prepare dinner. Very rarely even use my iTunes anymore. Never tried Spotify or XM.