Join Early Retirement Today

Part-time careers that work well with semi-FIRE?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Part-time careers that work well with semi-FIRE?

I'm currently taking time out of my career to be at home with our kids. However, I'm thinking that down the road a few years I might want to go back to a part-time career. I say "career" because I'm interested in work where I can develop professionally and grow over time, as opposed to a "job" where I'm just working for money. I could always go back to my previous career in a part-time situation, but I'm curious about other options.

So, what lines of work lend themselves well to part-time? I'm thinking about work that's interesting, useful, remunerative, flexible, and portable. Bonus points to work that doesn't require a specialized or 4-year degree (although I'm not going to rule that out).

Here's my list so far:

Nurse
Vet tech
Ultrasound technician (sonographer)
florist
paralegal
Certified Financial Planner
Real estate agent
grant writer for non-profits and foundations
fitness instructor

Additional ideas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
I'm currently taking time out of my career to be at home with our kids. However, I'm thinking that down the road a few years I might want to go back to a part-time career. I say "career" because I'm interested in work where I can develop professionally and grow over time, as opposed to a "job" where I'm just working for money. I could always go back to my previous career in a part-time situation, but I'm curious about other options.

So, what lines of work lend themselves well to part-time? I'm thinking about work that's interesting, useful, remunerative, flexible, and portable. Bonus points to work that doesn't require a specialized or 4-year degree (although I'm not going to rule that out).

Here's my list so far:

Nurse
Vet tech
Ultrasound technician (sonographer)
florist
paralegal
Certified Financial Planner
Real estate agent
grant writer for non-profits and foundations
fitness instructor

Additional ideas?
Second hand: I know several people who have done tax preparation.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably some computer related fields would work on a part time basis--plus graphic designers can get work on elance.com. These are also jobs that can be done from a home office.

Some of the jobs on your list have a fairly high barrier to entry, others less time/education. I might add one to the list that may require additional coursework -- substitute teaching.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Selling crafts/specialty items at growers/crafters markets is a lot of fun and lucrative if you find the right item to sell. We have done well with our goat milk soap. Plus you are your own boss!
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #5

Massage Therapist?
Pharmacy Technician?
EMT/Paramedic?
Pre-planned Funeral Sales?
Farmer?
Bank Teller (they love to hire PT)
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #6

Programmer (possible high barrier to entry, increasing overseas competition)
Adult film actor (not sure what the barrier to entry is here *rimshot*)
Adult website operator (no experience here either, but I've heard plenty from friends)

e-r.org moderator. The pay is kinda lousy but the perks and coworkers are great!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Working at a plant nursery appeals to me as a potential seasonal job after retirement. I love plants and enjoy helping people. However, "seasonal" doesn't equate to "part-time" in the sense of a few hours a week, every week during the year. It would be mostly in the spring and summer, with a Christmas rush.

Not sure what you meant by "portable." That makes me think of something you can do via lap-top and wireless connection, yet several items on your list (florist, nurse) require a specialized location and supplies.

Not sure whether the pay at a plant nursery is enough to justify the effort, either. But I like the notion
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #8

i'm looking into teaching. it's $38k (in florida--we get paid cheap here) plus benies for 6.5 hours a day plus 2 summer months off plus xmas week & i think easter plus another 6 or more days off. sweet deal. requires 4-year degree but not specialized. can get teacher certificate with one extra year of school or simply by passing an exam.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #9

If you have an outgoing personality, you should look into sales (but not retail!)
PT opportunities, high(er) pay than most.
Low barrier to entry (no college degree)
Opportunity for advancement into full time in future.
Lots of salary improvement possibilities

Your ideas

Nurse (lots of education req; but worth it if you are inspired)
Vet tech (very low pay, lots of educ req)
Ultrasound technician (sonographer) (lots of educ/but lots of jobs)
florist (very low pay!!!!)
paralegal (part-time possible, pay moderate)
Certified Financial Planner (very iffy, like sales, lots of time spent getting clients)
Real estate agent (Hello?)
grant writer for non-profits and foundations (low pay; some education; usually volunteer first)
fitness instructor (low low pay, no future)
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #10

Good ideas so far, thanks!

Oldbabe, "portable" to me means a job that can easily be found in a wide range of geographic areas. Nursing / sonography score high on this criteria, for example. Even rural areas use nurses. Unfortunately, I'm not really called by nursing. It'd be perfect if I was.

I thought up another today: House/pet sitter, especially if I could gain experience in small livestock (lots of folks with that around here, very few pet sitters who can deal with goats, sheep, chickens, etc.)

Keep em coming!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I think you have a very "pie in the sky" view of teaching!! What you wrote about hours and vacations, etc., is true on the surface, but you will end up spending LOTS of hours at home evenings and weekends doing plans, grading, etc. Plus you will likely need to use some summer and/or other time to take classes. Don't forget about the unbelievable stress that teaching is nowadays -- I spent about 25 years in the education game and it is extremely demanding both physically and emotionally. That said, it is a very good career in many ways, and some days are absolutely joyful, but be careful about looking at just the hours and vacations and calling it a "sweet deal"!!
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

How about medical records or patient billing ? These are decent paying jobs in the medical profession that do not deal with patients .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

try www.indeed.com and use keywords "part time" and limit the search to 15 or 25 miles. remember to enter your email and save the search criteria. every day, you will get an automatic email listing PT j*bs in your local area. you may get some ideas there.
my personal favorites are the ones looking for a person to put on a company theme costume and wave to the passers-by.
i almost went for the national oil change chain character position, but thought better of it.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
try www.indeed.com and use keywords "part time" and limit the search to 15 or 25 miles. remember to enter your email and save the search criteria. every day, you will get an automatic email listing PT
j*bs
in your local area. you may get some ideas there.

Thanks , I went to the web site out of curiosity and found a job that appeals to me . Occasional juror for fake trials . Sounds like a fun occasional thing and if it's not who cares that is the great thing about being retired you can try on various hats .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Im planning on doing some snowplowing this winter.
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Nursing is a very good part time job - most hospitals use part time nurses to fill in gaps in staffing - One could work Friday,Saturday,Sunday and come out with almost a full time salary if one wished.

As a 45-yr old nurse, I can tell you that the profession is very manually intensive - and the older you get the more you walk around saying, "I'm too old for this ****"
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #17

Oma, I'd heard that about nursing. I have a herniated disc in my back that has been slow to heal (though it's amazing what time will do!) and would be hesitant to take on a job that requires heavy lifting. I think I'd probably enjoy home health, hospice or public health nursing, but hospital work leaves me cold.

I need to add freelance magazine article writer to the list.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm thinking about work that's interesting, useful, remunerative, flexible, and portable. Bonus points to work that doesn't require a specialized or 4-year degree (although I'm not going to rule that out).
Although it's hard to make a full-time living from it, I enjoy handiman. I guess it's a lot like Al's jazz career-- you have to save up for it.

There's an entire avocation out there as a home energy/efficiency consultant. If I could have just one nickel a month from the "Stupid Tax" that people pay on their utility bills then I'd be rich enough to ER. Oh wait.

Spouse is also enamored of "home decluttering/storage consultant". She's made an entire career of bringing order from chaos.

Quote:
I think I'd probably enjoy home health, hospice or public health nursing, but hospital work leaves me cold.
I've spent some time with a variety of visiting home-hospice nurses, and they've all said that it's what's kept them from entirely leaving the nursing occupation.

Perhaps it's because by the time your services are required, your customers have generally dispensed with all baggage, illusions, and BS. Their demands are fairly reasonable and short-term. And nobody cares how you spend your time or what you're addicted to...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I think you have a very "pie in the sky" view of teaching!! What you wrote about hours and vacations, etc., is true on the surface, but you will end up spending LOTS of hours at home evenings and weekends doing plans, grading, etc. Plus you will likely need to use some summer and/or other time to take classes. Don't forget about the unbelievable stress that teaching is nowadays -- I spent about 25 years in the education game and it is extremely demanding both physically and emotionally. That said, it is a very good career in many ways, and some days are absolutely joyful, but be careful about looking at just the hours and vacations and calling it a "sweet deal"!!
My thoughts too when I saw that response. I don't have experience in teaching but I do know that to do the job well, and really give it your all, requires lots more time and effort than was portrayed in that post.

If you don't do that you may not feel real good about yourself and the experience may be a bad one. For those who do it well it can be very rewarding and I salute them!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
She's made an entire career of bringing order from chaos.
Hmmm. I'm pretty good at the opposite but I haven't figured out how to make money at it yet!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote