Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Part-time Employment
Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I work part time as an Event Supervisor for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Excellent money and estimate that I'll work about 60 games this summer.
If you have a major or minor league sports team in your area or a college team, part time work as an usher or ticket taker or event supervisor might be available. Hours are generally from about 2 hours prior to game to end of game. No pressure; get to interact with the guests; may get to watch the game depending on what part of the stadium you work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
The guys around here that do yard work all have big pickups and trailers full of equipment. It looks like quite a commitment.
I saw the Minimalist Landscaper last week. Pedalling a bicycle to which was attached a small ~2.5'x2.5' trailer with a very old looking small push mower on top and a little weed whacker and a small blower strapped to the sides.

I laughed for four blocks.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

100 in the shade - talking with neighbor over the fence - we decided our lawns looked ok to grow some more - 'minamalist wise'. Even the dogs don't want to go out to pee.

heh heh heh heh - A/c, iced tea, and posting here - at a minimum. ER is good - grow grass grow.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

108 right now here, may hit 110-112. Could go for the record of 115 for the day.

Our "yard dog" that wont ever come in the house came in this morning and just went out a few minutes ago. Bet he's about ready to come back in right now.

I'm not picking up a lawn care implement until it dips back under 95. That could be a while.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

102 today...but the % RH is only 11%. The worst part is what it does to my yard.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
102 today...but the % RH is only 11%. The worst part is what it does to my yard.
Yeah, I know...it's a dry heat. :P

One of my pre-retirement goals was to minimize that troublesome 'yard' thing. When we built the house out in the sticks, we did only minimal landscaping with hardy, drought resistant plants along the house foundation. Everything else was left au naturel, requiring no supplemental application of water or mowing, except after a rain...a relatively rare summer event.

And if we do get rain during the winter and spring, the resulting wildflower growth prevents me from mowing for an extended time period. Gotta let those seeds mature to insure a good crop next year.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

99F and 100% humidity (!) here and my air conditioner went on strike over the weekend. Guess what number I was dialing at 7am on Monday*

Quote:
One of my pre-retirement goals was to minimize that troublesome 'yard' thing
I am thinking of getting rid of any and all vegetation in the backyard altogether. On the East Coast, you give them an inch and 6 months later you have a jungle to deal with. Flagstone, perhaps?*
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

I'm another member of the Class of 2006.

I've been out of it for 3 months now and truely digging it. Once per quarter back at the ranch (1000 employee Public Service Agency) they put on a Staff Meeting in the form of a Talk Show ala "Tonight Show" style with guests, entertainment, etc, and my job was as the Kevin Ubanks House Band guy. They still invite me back, and it's a fun gig. I play little intros after each guest is introduced, and insert little riffs when I feel they might be appropriate to the conversations. I also get to wail away during the warm up and the outro while the studio audience leaves. We do two shows, and they broadcast the whole thing over the Network to other offices.

Anyway, while there, I finally talked to my replacement last week, a nice fellow that used to work for me. He has a project that he needs to get done but noone he wants to spare to work on it, and not the highest priority. Basically a mandated Network Security Self Audit. So my part-time job will be to work on this, one day per week for as long as it takes and then we'll see what happens. It entails 8 hours on-site plus 2 more hours on my own, so every Thursday, Ill show up attend some meetings, interview some staff, and do some reserach, analysis, and prepare reports with my recommendations. It sounds somewhat interesting and challenging.

And it will give me some sorely needed guitar money to support my habit. 8) :
Old 07-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

I turned 55 in april and my ldw will be Sep 30th. I have been working for one of the big 3 for 33 years 84 hours a week for the last two and cannot wait to get out of here. I love the outdoors and am thinking of getting a ptj to just cover my hunting and fishing trips. I will be getting a pension of 42K per year so if I could pick up a few extra $ I would be able to put it all towards my passion. I was thinking of a Gander Mountain or a Bass Pro as I would be working at something I allready enjoy. Anybody have any other ideas? or thoughts I am all ears (as Ross Perrot would say)
Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpointdawg
I turned 55 in april and my ldw will be Sep 30th. I have been working for one of the big 3 for 33 years 84 hours a week for the last two and cannot wait to get out of here. I love the outdoors and am thinking of getting a ptj to just cover my hunting and fishing trips. I will be getting a pension of 42K per year so if I could pick up a few extra $ I would be able to put it all towards my passion. I was thinking of a Gander Mountain or a Bass Pro as I would be working at something I allready enjoy. Anybody have any other ideas? or thoughts I am all ears (as Ross Perrot would say)
I am moved and just about ready to ER went from NJ to NC and now have a small mortgage and will have a pension of about 35K in Jan 2007. I went to Dicks sporting goods here in NC a new store and they will pay 7 bucks an hour. Now not that I am bitchin BUT 7 an hour ? I might work an extra 6 or 12 months back at my teaching job in NJ stay with friends and grown kids in NYC and make an extra 50 to 75 grand and put that away and NOT have to work for what seems to be an hourly wage that is less than what I made 20 years ago while I was working at a store part time.

If I were to stay at my teaching job for the 2007 school year and take my retirement on Jan 1 2008 instead of jan 1 2007 I would have an additional 450 a month.

We will see, I go back on Labor day and I will teach in september then make a decision. i do have 200+ sick days, so who knows mabe I could us a bunch over a say 15 month period. What will they do fire me? $hit I do have a cardiologist.

I am happy that I was able to sell my NJ centerhall colonial 60 miles from anyplace. Heck I even got bigtime money for it. the others have not sold and are sitting while they slash the prices. My NC home is with a 50K mortgage, a car payment for a mortgage. Lets see if I work for those 15 months I could probably pay it almost off.

Hey it really is all good. I love NOT having a 240,000 dollar mortgage.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
... I might work an extra 6 or 12 months back at my teaching job in NJ stay with friends and grown kids in NYC and make an extra 50 to 75 grand and put that away and NOT have to work for what seems to be an hourly wage that is less than what I made 20 years ago while I was working at a store part time.

If I were to stay at my teaching job for the 2007 school year and take my retirement on Jan 1 2008 instead of jan 1 2007 I would have an additional 450 a month...
If you need to stay around another year because you HAVE to for enough funds to make ends meet in retirement then you are cutting it too thin. If you just WANT extra cash as an additional set of suspenders then maybe you need to step back and take a really hard look at why you wanted to retire in the first place. Working retail is not a path to riches. If you need the cash may be substitute teaching would be better for you; part time work and a better hourly rate.

There is nothing wrong with working at some wage job after you retire but you need to know why you are doing it and what you want from it. If just a paycheck then maybe you retired too early. If for pleasure then that is a different story.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #32

Newguy, FYI, in Wake County, current or previously licensed teachers get $79/day for subbing. That's almost $10/hr!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
If you need to stay around another year because you HAVE to for enough funds to make ends meet in retirement then you are cutting it too thin. If you just WANT extra cash as an additional set of suspenders then maybe you need to step back and take a really hard look at why you wanted to retire in the first place. Working retail is not a path to riches. If you need the cash may be substitute teaching would be better for you; part time work and a better hourly rate.

There is nothing wrong with working at some wage job after you retire but you need to know why you are doing it and what you want from it. If just a paycheck then maybe you retired too early. If for pleasure then that is a different story.
I still have not retired, we put the house on the market in april and it sold in 1 day. We always knew we would move to my wifes home state. I really do not have a problem with teaching back in NJ for a year or two, which will put us in a great financial situation. If I left today I would also be financially fine. I do like the extra 4 to 5 hundred dollars a month working an extra 15 months or so.

I really wanted out of the big mortgage and high taxes.

Heck I could fly home southwest air every week for 100 round trip and keep my 90K salary for a year or two pay the small mortgage off and bingo. Who knows time will tell.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Newguy, FYI, in Wake County, current or previously licensed teachers get $79/day for subbing. That's almost $10/hr!
84 in chapel hill

I will be subbing when I finally quit. Like I was saying I have to give 90 days notice as of sept 1 they will NOT let me out of my contract, so I may work the entire year and use a bunch of sick days, I have 203!

I was offered a teaching job in Harnett county last week, that was when the district I work for said oh no you must give us the 90 days.

Crazy you would think that they would love to get rid of my large salary.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
84 in chapel hill

I will be subbing when I finally quit. Like I was saying I have to give 90 days notice as of sept 1 they will NOT let me out of my contract, so I may work the entire year and use a bunch of sick days, I have 203!

I was offered a teaching job in Harnett county last week, that was when the district I work for said oh no you must give us the 90 days.

Crazy you would think that they would love to get rid of my large salary.
I guess you noticed your pay as a teacher in NC would probably be about 1/2 of what it is in NJ?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I guess you noticed your pay as a teacher in NC would probably be about 1/2 of what it is in NJ?
That was the bottom line. I can simplify. I will just sub but I am seriously thinking of staying at my NJ job for about 15 months and pay everything off then just sub a play!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #37

Isn't it beautiful to have choices?! Except that 90-day-notice thing, but the flip side is that your contract got you the pension & retiree medical benefits...and sick days

PS--Glad my son is a teacher
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retired from teaching in '97 after 33 years I vowed I would never supply teach and take a job from a newbie trying to break into the system.

I could make $150 a day but I couldn't stomach the fact that I would be taking a position from a rookie trying to enter the profession. I average about $40 cash a day for 2 or 3 hours and with my teacher's pension and Mrs. Zip working we've never been richer.

I have nothing but contempt for an old guy or girl in his/her 50's crowding out a new teacher with a family to support.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

............would you want your child to be in newguy's class next year??
Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
............would you want your child to be in newguy's class next year??
Hey Zip, you play rough.

Ha