Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who has semi-retired?
I worked full time, then went to part time work and then I retired 7 11.86%
I used to work full time and now work part time 26 44.07%
Once I was done working, I was done, no part time for me 26 44.07%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Re: part time or occassional work
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I ran into an interesting "occassional" job that I wouldn't mind doing if I needed to do some work. Prepare students to take the LSAT, GRE, GMAT, etc. The ad I saw only had one requirement, that you tested at the 99th percentile. Though if I had to take any of the tests again I probably wouldn't qualify to get into grad school.
Martha, I have thought of doing this, too. It seems like if you get in with a tutoring company, you can start adding more things that you cover over time. I got the sense that a lot of the work is short hours, though -- two hours in the afternoon today, three hours in the afternoon tomorrow, etc.

As I researched teaching overseas, it turns out that there is a market for teaching some of these tests in English overseas, too (often as a subset of your classes).

Kramer

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Dh picked up some extra pocket money as a math/physics tutor for a little bit when we first got married--I think you would have trouble getting more than 15-20 hours a week--maybe more if you were willing to put in an 8 hour weekend day (and had enough clients to get those hours), but in your case that wouldn't be a drawback. The going rate seems to be between $10-15/hr if you're working for someone (Sylvan, etc.), but you can easily charge $35-$40 or so if you're freelance.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
Dh picked up some extra pocket money as a math/physics tutor for a little bit when we first got married--I think you would have trouble getting more than 15-20 hours a week--maybe more if you were willing to put in an 8 hour weekend day (and had enough clients to get those hours), but in your case that wouldn't be a drawback. The going rate seems to be between $10-15/hr if you're working for someone (Sylvan, etc.), but you can easily charge $35-$40 or so if you're freelance.
Our son had a few sessionsof calculus tutoring a couple of years ago and it was $60 per hour! This was not a company but a local guy who did it part-time. That was the going rate here for math tutors. It could be even higher now.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne
Our son had a few sessionsof calculus tutoring a couple of years ago and it was $60 per hour!
Whether or not you think you'll need a tutor someday, I highly recommend Kumon or its equivalent in your area. We pay $88.54/month for four hours/week at Kumon and all the calculus worksheets she can handle. It's the equivalent of Suziki musical tutoring for math & reading with the kids doing far more than one would expect them to be able to accomodate.

Yes, she's in ninth grade and she's doing Kumon calculus (along with her high school geometry homework). Because she asked, the high school has agreed that she can skip next year's Algebra II course and go straight to Trig. She'll do calc in 11th grade (the school won't allow validation) and cap it off with senior AP Statistics. By then she'll also be doing Kumon's differential equations. I joke about adding in partial diffeqs & other engineering math but I'm not sure that they're joking. "Helping" her with Kumon problems has been quite a challenge to our perishable math skills, too.

The owner of her Kumon franchise has also employed her-- six hours/week at $7.25/hour. There've been many educational moments around that lifestyle change, too.

She's been doing Kumon since 2nd grade. It seemed like a lot of money at first but the progress and the testing confidence (to say nothing of the GPA and the college savings) have been phenomenal. We never would have started Kumon but it's what a significant minority of kids do here (both for math and reading) and she wanted to be with her friends. Most of them have dropped out of the program now but she's really blossomed with it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The owner of her Kumon franchise has also employed her-- six hours/week at $7.25/hour. There've been many educational moments around that lifestyle change, too.
I used to do math tutoring when I was in high school. It's much harder explaining math to kids who don't get it than it is learning the stuff on your own. It should benefit her on several levels.

I've considered doing it again. Even if I did it for free, it should be a great workout for my stiff brain cells....
Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Whether or not you think you'll need a tutor someday, I highly recommend Kumon or its equivalent in your area. We pay $88.54/month for four hours/week at Kumon and all the calculus worksheets she can handle. It's the equivalent of Suziki musical tutoring for math & reading with the kids doing far more than one would expect them to be able to accomodate.

Yes, she's in ninth grade and she's doing Kumon calculus (along with her high school geometry homework). Because she asked, the high school has agreed that she can skip next year's Algebra II course and go straight to Trig. She'll do calc in 11th grade (the school won't allow validation) and cap it off with senior AP Statistics. By then she'll also be doing Kumon's differential equations. I joke about adding in partial diffeqs & other engineering math but I'm not sure that they're joking. "Helping" her with Kumon problems has been quite a challenge to our perishable math skills, too.

She's been doing Kumon since 2nd grade. It seemed like a lot of money at first but the progress and the testing confidence (to say nothing of the GPA and the college savings) have been phenomenal. We never would have started Kumon but it's what a significant minority of kids do here (both for math and reading) and she wanted to be with her friends. Most of them have dropped out of the program now but she's really blossomed with it.
Thanks, Nords! I really appreciate the great suggestion.

This would be great for our younger kid who will be in 9th grade honors geometry next year. It probably helps get them ready for the SAT's as well.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I used to do math tutoring when I was in high school. It's much harder explaining math to kids who don't get it than it is learning the stuff on your own. It should benefit her on several levels.

I've considered doing it again. Even if I did it for free, it should be a great workout for my stiff brain cells....
I was a teaching assistant in statistics (Psche major) and I really began to understand statistics when I had to help struggling students. When I worked with new lawyers I would always tell them that if they could explain something in plain English so that a client could understand, then I would know that they understood as well.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #48

Kurt Vonnegut says he worked with a Nobel prize winner -- Irving Langmuir, I think -- and he credits him with saying something to his colleagues like, "Anyone who can't explain what they are doing to a 13 year old is a charlatan."
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #49

Nords,
Bravo (brava?) that your daughter is still doing Kumon. Mine p**sed and moaned so much that we let them stop. Now they need personal math tutors to keep their grades above B+. Success with Kumon does depend a lot on the teacher/tutors there. It is a lot of drills, but if the kids don't get the drills, they need someone good to turn to (ours wasn't that good or was over-extended, so it was probably not an option)

So get this: one of the high school math teachers charges $100 an hour or $80 per kid (if you want to have a couple friends together) on Saturdays, and has a totally booked schedule. The kids think he's cool and they do learn from him, but a little back-of-the-envelope puts him earning an extra 30k or so a year. I'm glad, since he could easily get a job in private industry earning more.

One more Kumon story -- our friend's son did it and like your daughter, stuck with it for 7 years or so, and just got accepted to Andover as a freshman after taking AP Physics as an 8th grader....
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

At the risk of further de-railing this thread, I wanted to chime in on Kumon. It's not cheap - it costs us $100/month per child (currently have two enrolled), but it has helped our kids alot.

As with ESRBob - we get alot of complaining about the daily work - but it has helped both of our daughters immensely. It seems the schools (at least around here) are so busy trying to teach math topics that are closely related to the required standardized tests, they neglect the need for drilling in the basic essentials. I was appalled when I would ask my 4th grader what is 8 times 9 and she had no idea. She "aced" her times tables, but she had stored all the answers in her short term memory - just long enough to get to the next level.

Due to the constant, every day grind of doing Kumon (it really only takes about 15 mins a day), my 6th grade daughter who was floundering 3 years ago is now at the point she actually helps other kids with difficult math problems (maybe she should charge the $80/hr tutor rate!).

Needless to say, even though they are quite aware of the improvements they have made, they still continually p*ss and moan about doing it everday......
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Bravo (brava?) that your daughter is still doing Kumon. Mine p**sed and moaned so much that we let them stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
Needless to say, even though they are quite aware of the improvements they have made, they still continually p*ss and moan about doing it everday......
I wish I could take credit for it but it's been mostly her effort. We talked her through quitting once for two months (a "Kumon vacation"). She found out that she was actually having to study for the school math tests, which she didn't care for one bit. So she went back to Kumon. A few years later she was using the answer book a little too liberally and found out that she didn't know her stuff on the final test. That really shook her up and it was the basis of many fruitful discussions over the slippery slope. Whenever integrity issues come up we remind her of the "Kumon incident" and she immediately gets it.

We used to go to semi-annual Kumon awards ceremonies where grateful parents would take the podium to tell the rest of us true believers how much Kumon had helped their kids. I volunteered to do the same for next week's ceremony, using the testimony of the actual beneficiaries with appropriate whining sound effects & facial expressions:
"Awwwwww, I'm tired."
"Ewwwwww, it's so hard!"
"But it's Christmas! Jesus Christ wouldn't have to do Kumon on HIS birthday?!?"
"Well, I plan to do two tomorrow."
"I was going to do Kumon now but I have to go play with my friends."
"Well if you can't graph a $%&^ing parabola then why should I have to learn how to?!?"
"Aaaargggghhh!!!"
"But Mom, Dad, you just don't understand!!!"

I was ready to do three minutes of this, of course pausing for laughter & spontaneous standing ovations.

My plans were leaked to the media and I was subsequently informed by Kumon's newest employee that our attendance at her ceremony was by invitation only, which had not and would not be offered.

I love it when they get all independent on us...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #52

I did not work the first 3 years of ER. Then my heath care premiums went up 200%, the market was still down and I was facing my daughters wedding expenses.

I did taxes for 3 seasons, banked the proceeds, paid for the wedding and by then the market had come back so I retired again.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude
I did not work the first 3 years of ER. Then my heath care premiums went up 200%, the market was still down and I was facing my daughters wedding expenses.

I did taxes for 3 seasons, banked the proceeds, paid for the wedding and by then the market had come back so I retired again.
Bikerdude, Can you share a bit about this work experience? I am interested. Was the money very good? Did you work for a chain? Training?

Tutoring and taxes are the two things I have considered and they seem to have popped up big time on this thread .

Kramer
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not retired yet, so there isn't a vote that works for me. Besides, I'm not sure you could call what I'll be doing "work" exactly. I'll be getting paid to ride my motorcycle, and to teach others how to ride a motorcycle safely.

On the one hand I'll be riding as a motorcycle referee for professional bicycle races. $50 - $100 per day, plus per diem, plus mileage, plus hotel if needed.

The second play-time activity pays $18 an hour and mostly involves dodging noobs as they try to remember which hand is the gas and which hand is the clutch. Throw in the fact that the brake and throttle are on the same hand and it sometimes gets interesting.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #55

Hi Kramer,

You asked about my career path to tax prep. I kind of grew up around accounting, my Dad was an accountant for GE and also treasurer and manager of a credit union for over 30 years. I remember learning double-entry bookkeeping from him. I also had an aptitude for working with numbers. My degrees were in engineering and an MBA. I had researched tax rules that applied to my own situations such as consulting (Sch C) and rental property when my house didnít sell and got a rep at my office for finding answers to co-workers tax questions. And some volunteer positions such as church finance council, Boy Scout Troop treasurer, treasurer of a recreational org with payroll.

After retiring for my ďcareerĒ job at 50, I wanted to stay involved in something but didnít want to be too tied down as I love to camp and hike when the weather is nice. Tax prep fit well as your busy during the dog days of winterÖ.after the Holidays and done when Spring finally starts and I can get more outdoors (though we had snow only a week ago). I took the HR Block basic tax course and worked there for five years. Paid under $10 per hour, it is based upon your volume commissions from the previous year. It would have helped to stay in one location and build up a clientele that returned each year but I chose different locations (even moved to a different state).

My original plan was to work for HRB for three years to gain experience before going out on my own but since decided that Iím retired and not willing to essentially start another career. I would rather spend my time doing things with my grade school boys. My one regret is I should have left HRB a year earlier! Iím satisfied with having decent tax knowledge that I can work each winter, keep learning, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. Maybe someday Iíll give the EA a try but itís not a goal. Need to find a good course on Partnership and S-corp taxation.

When your with one of the chains, as far as they are concerned, youíre a clerk in a retail store. Make the customer think he is getting enough value to come back next year but otherwise sell him as much as you can. I ignored a lot of the selling stuff and tried to do good for the client, but I was amazed by how many folks make bad financial decisions for themselves, like insisting on the refund loans when they could have their money in two weeks.

Hope this helps. BTW, I worked as an employee (W2) for the CPA firm this past year.

RE2Boys
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I seriously think there's a market for a frugal high-net-worth match-making service. Rare qualities in individuals, so must be rare^2 in couples. I'm constantly surprised that no couples have come together through this forum.
No surprise to me! Too much pre-orgasmic disclosure for that kind of commitment to get very far

Ha
Old 04-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
No surprise to me! Too much pre-orgasmic disclosure for that kind of commitment to get very far

Ha
Yeah. You all know about our menopause and errant hair growth.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #58

Ssssssh Martha, I figured they had forgotten about that

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #59

Re2boys, Thanks for the details! Yes, your experience with H&R Block matches what I have heard. I have the same reputation you had for taxes and my dad was also an accountant and tax guy. Mostly I am knowledgable in tax areas that I care about.

I was hoping to skip the H&R path (at least for more than one year) by getting an EA and maybe volunteering for VITA, and then getting a job for a regular practice. But maybe that is too much too hope for (and I also do not have an MBA, just a Master's in engineering). Also, maybe an EA is harder than I think without also doing taxes to build up skills.

I am looking at doing an overseas stint teaching English. When I get back, I figure to either pursue tutoring or taxes if I want part-time work. I still have not decided. For both of these, I really like the working with people and seasonal aspects.

Kramer