Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Part time w*rk with medical insurance.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Part time w*rk with medical insurance.

Any ideas of employers offering medical insurance to part timers , even if employee pays most of the cost ?*

Could not find any recent posts on this subject.

Any advise is apreciated* .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Part time w*rk with medical insurance.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Off the top of my head, I know Costco and Starbucks both offer benefits to part timers. No doubt there are others...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

- Home Depot
- Many call centers
- Local school districts (bus drivers)

Old 06-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #4

I saw a TV show saying Starbucks offers full bennies starting at 20 hours a week. Part of the reason a cup if coffee there costs so much.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I saw a TV show saying Starbucks offers full bennies starting at 20 hours a week.
Yes, but every day you work there you have to wake up and smell the coffee...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Starbucks offers full bennies
The term "full benefits" is often bandied about as if everyone listening knows exactly what it means. Here's a message for you: everyone has a different idea what "full" means.

I used to work in the employee benefits arena and this term was the most misunderstood of them all. The employers all understand whet it means as they negotiated the plan and are paying dearly for it but most employees and prospective employees usually have a much different idea what "full" means.

To an employer, "full" may include vacation, holidays, flex time, casual dress code, reduced fee parking, sick pay, discount on employee purchases, casual Fridays and other "non cost" items.*

To most employees these items are not benefits.* Benefits are no-cost health insurance/Rx benefits, free group life insurance, employer match 401(k), pension plan, LTD benefits that employer pays or heavily subsidsed, etc.

We all understand what "full" means when we eat a Thanksgiving meal at grandam's house, but few of us will agree with the meaning of the word when it refers to employee benefits.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd

Here's a message for you: everyone has a different idea what "full" means.
What, we don't get French benefits?

Old 06-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I thought I'd overused that line, but Martha deleted the last couple of posts where I used it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #9

Probably due to context rather than content...
Old 06-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Probably both.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's been some stuff online about Starbucks. While they do provide health insurance for those who work 20 hours or more, some former and current employees report that many managers make sure that workers are usually not scheduled for 20 hours. Managers are evaluated on the bottom line and naturally there are profits when less health insurance is paid, so many managers will make sure they schedule workers 19 hours or less so they don't receive health insurance.....
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Starbucks allows part timers who work 20 hours a week to get health insurance, but I understand that the employees have to pay the full cost.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #13

Have you looked at what your current employer offers. I know many have reported being able to drop down to 50-60% time and still get full health insurance benefits. Seems better getting a professional wage for part time work rather than a retail job
Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am now working 21 hours a week. I get to be in the group plan, but while for full time employees the company pays 75% of their premium, they only pay 37.5 of mine. It is still a good deal and one of the reasons I went back to work part time. A group policy was far cheaper than what I could get as and individual policy and I have some pre existing conditions that an individual policy pernamently disallowed. This way those things are covered.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

UPS too, I believe only 20 hours a week to qualifiy.

Vic
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

* If you're seriously looking for w*rk, do consider the physical requirements for some of these j*bs* ... UPS's Web site says its part-time package handlers are expected to move/lift packages up to 70 lbs.
* *Had a friend who worked at one of their hubs -- when the planes and trucks came in, they had a very short time to get everything off the line and sorted ...* not exactly the place for someone with back problems...*
Old 06-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

You could look into Citigroup. Their handbook says >= 20hours/week is benefits eligible.
elissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
Have you looked at what your current employer offers. I know many have reported being able to drop down to 50-60% time and still get full health insurance benefits. Seems better getting a professional wage for part time work rather than a retail job
A few years back the municipality I work for had a 4 day 36 hour option, hour for hour reduction in pay and every friday off, with full benefits , no reduction in retirement credits.

Wow , Great ! , I submitted the paperwork. 8)

First level management sent me up one level for a "Chat" with middle management

I was told the short week was to reduce the cost of worthless employees who could not be fired, and I would not be granted the request.* * He also tore-up the form in front of me. I could have complained , but I pick my battles carefully

Maybe if the offer comes up again , I may strive to meet management's criteria !
Old 06-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712
A few years back the municipality I work for had a 4 day 36 hour option, hour for hour reduction in pay and every friday off, with full benefits , no reduction in retirement credits.
Hawaii tried a similar system for its police officers. It was a combination of 3-4-day workweeks for the rank & file, mostly in response to the threat of those unscrupulous recruiters from Washington state who kept luring away Hawaii's finest with offers of more money & cheap living.

But the concept was scrapped this year, apparently for their own good and for the public's benefit.

"Police spokeswoman Michelle Yu said that when an officer is off four days a week, 'their ability to respond to a follow-up or a request from the public' is delayed. Also, police chief Correa said 10- or 12-hour days can leave officers fatigued and 'not as alert as they should be,' potentially putting themselves and others in danger. In at least one instance, he said, fatigue contributed to a car accident involving an officer. 'We know we have the best officers in the best department, but we have to maintain our relationship with the community,' Correa said.

In a seemingly unrelated story, the Navy's submarine force says it sees no end of opportunities for its submariners to continue to suck up their 12-hour days. "It's a target-rich environment!" one retention spokesman was quoted as saying with satisfaction...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
I was told the short week was to reduce the cost of worthless employees who could not be fired, and I would not be granted the request. He also tore-up the form in front of me. I could have complained , but I pick my battles carefully
hmmm, interesting motivational talk