Join Early Retirement Today

Passion has Evolved
Old 06-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Passion has Evolved

I used to love boating and getting away for the weekend when working 9-5's. Being retired, I now find boating wasteful and not a gratifying way spend money. Now, going for a bicycle ride in the quiet countryside has peaked the passion meter. When riding, you are actively engaged in the moment(sights, sounds smells), all while doing the body good.

Tuning up home base has also turned into gratifying passion. We truly love our homestead, calling it the mountain cabin. Every sunny day, we tell each other "The Resort is open" and go outside to work in the yard. Since retiring, we've traveled twice to Hawaii and California and honestly, was bored. Couldn't wait to get back to home base.

Retirement has allowed us to slow down and smell the roses. Who knew the simple things are so gratifying!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Golf just doesn't do it for me anymore. A complete collapse of passion.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Golf just doesn't do it for me anymore. A complete collapse of passion.
Ouch. I was hoping golf would be my go to for a long time. Thankfully I live in Michigan and because of winter, golf is only part of the year. Maybe that will help.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've noticed I've changed in my interests, actually planted grass seed in the vegetable garden this year as I notice that summer is a great time to take 30->60 trips and I cannot deal with the garden during that time.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm doing gardening in lieu of golf!

Maybe the pendulum will swing back some year.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm doing gardening in lieu of golf!

Maybe the pendulum will swing back some year.
I went from an 11 to 18+ handicap over 20 years. Gave the clubs away last year and quit the private club membership. Stick with the gardening!
Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Ouch. I was hoping golf would be my go to for a long time.

Same here, I used to play twice a week. These days I travel a good deal for work, I just don't have time for it. Was hoping to start playing again when I retired. We'll see
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The first year of retirement (2005) I played golf nearly five days a week and it almost became like work. Driving to the course one day I realized that I needed something else. Currently only play twice a week and get much more enjoyment. I find working out at Planet Fitness at least the three other days unless I have activities planned is a great way to keep in shape and the aches and pains at bay. Travelled enough working for mega corp that it just doesn't appeal to me at all. Nothing better than waking up from your own bed well rested and ready to face the day.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Y'know....I'm getting there too.

Sailed all my life. Dad sailed, granddad sailed, great-granddad sailed. DW and I used to leave the dock at 8AM, head out 20 miles, turn around get back around 6PM.

Now...even though we were on board almost every nice day, last year we never left the mooring. Instead we go out, putter, read, swim, cook something and nap. It's a big boat and requires a lot of physical work to sail and I just...don't...want...to...do...it....anymore.

Sorry Dad. DW and I talked just last week about selling and going to a power boat; something smaller and easier to run with.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Y'know....I'm getting there too.

Sailed all my life. Dad sailed, granddad sailed, great-granddad sailed. DW and I used to leave the dock at 8AM, head out 20 miles, turn around get back around 6PM.

Now...even though we were on board almost every nice day, last year we never left the mooring. Instead we go out, putter, read, swim, cook something and nap. It's a big boat and requires a lot of physical work to sail and I just...don't...want...to...do...it....anymore.

Sorry Dad. DW and I talked just last week about selling and going to a power boat; something smaller and easier to run with.
Ya, never thought the boat would become a garage queen! She sits in our heated garage at minimal cost, ready at a moments notice. Just need the desire to spark up on a perfect calm sunny weekday. But so far, after 3 years of retirement, probably taken it out only 5 times. 2 of those times were just to blow the cob webs out of the engine.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was working at megacorp I escaped every summer weekend to go biking in the mountains. It was a great way to relax my mind and decompress.

After I retired I no longer wanted to be alone in the country. I guess I didn’t need that kind of escape anymore. My bike sat collecting dust for a couple of years until I finally sold it.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
gone traveling

I agree with bicycle riding for pleasure, and fitness. I live on a busy county road, near a busy State route that scares me a bit about riding. There are, however dedicated bike trails that meander through city parks, and wilderness countryside that interest me.

Last Summer, I bought a real quality 29" mountain bike with full suspension, 24 speeds, and dual disc brakes. I rode this bike around when camping, and maybe logged 100 miles total. This Winter, I bought a front hub 36v 500w Ebike conversion kit for my bike, and got a battery to go with it, all for about $450. This allows me to have 5 levels of pedal assist , and also have a twist throttle, for riding with, or without pedal assist, or for riding completely electric (no pedaling up to about 25mph). With my long term health issues of having no stamina, this allows me to take long rides without getting fatigued.

We have done the boating route, and won't go back.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I believe most of continue to grow through life and find different interests along the way. I’ve added some interests (cooking), lost a few (wildlife photography)and some have gone up (slow travel, grandkids, biking) or down (photo gear, sailing, Hawaii) on my priority list.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

Same here: I retired from Civil Air Patrol after serving for 45 years. I also resigned from AARP tax preparation.
I donated my bike to a group that helps the needy
Right now I am at a crossroads about flying-I have a flight Friday with an instructor to see if my skills are still up to par.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I used to love boating and getting away for the weekend when working 9-5's. Being retired, I now find boating wasteful and not a gratifying way spend money. Now, going for a bicycle ride in the quiet countryside has peaked the passion meter. When riding, you are actively engaged in the moment(sights, sounds smells), all while doing the body good.

Tuning up home base has also turned into gratifying passion. We truly love our homestead, calling it the mountain cabin. Every sunny day, we tell each other "The Resort is open" and go outside to work in the yard. Since retiring, we've traveled twice to Hawaii and California and honestly, was bored. Couldn't wait to get back to home base.

Retirement has allowed us to slow down and smell the roses. Who knew the simple things are so gratifying!
That sounds very, very nice. You probably get some "Yeah, but what ELSE do you do all day?" comments, but it sounds to me like you've found your nirvana. Enjoy!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much switched golf for Pickleball. Better workout, less time, more gratification and at least the same social. Plus much cheaper.
We also discovered we like being homebodies more than we thought. Still go to places, but thought originally it would be every week somewhere even if localized day trip.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #17

Not so much losing passion for the number of things I liked to do but rather focusing on the one thing I can still do. Fortunately I can still ride my recumbent trike in my quiet neighborhood by the ocean with almost no traffic at 7:30am. So I put in about 12+ miles each morning with a buddy. Two wheels are out from balance issues which includes my motorcycles. Swimming is out due to shoulders. And walking/hiking is out due to mild paralysis of one leg from nerve damage. I even had to stop being a potter and will be selling my wheel. But every morning you can find me on my recumbent trike riding next to the ocean under a tree canopy before the sun gets too hot. If that was not an option I'm not sure what would be left.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That sounds very, very nice. You probably get some "Yeah, but what ELSE do you do all day?" comments, but it sounds to me like you've found your nirvana. Enjoy!
LOL, yes regarding the comments. They say that, until visiting the humble abode, realizing the level of work required to get yard to nirvana level.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

I used to do landscaping and gardening in my spare time while w*rking. But now I've retaken up golf after a 20 year lapse.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I gave up golf years ago when it became a stress. Lol I enjoyed golf but didn't want to compete with anyone else or myself. Now I do non competitive things and enjoy those activities much more. Like gardening, hiking, fishing and hunting etc..
street is offline   Reply With Quote