Join Early Retirement Today

On the Path - No. 5
Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the Path - No. 5

One month to go! (This is my first smiley face I ever used in any correspondence).

I don't post too often. I'm doing this to give those thinking about RE what they may go through.

On the positive side I have time to get things together. For example, (memo writting phrase) I bought my medical insurance - Blue Cross/Blue Shield 180/month - BCBC 3500 - 3K deductable; passport and other purchases. Also, I'm comming in later and leaving earlier. My mind is slowly letting go of all the things I thought were important. This aspect has me wondering that if I keep this mindset; maybe I should stay. But the feeling is one of being in the last month of high school after you have your college acceptence letter - you have outgrown where you are.

The negatives are becoming fewer every day. Yes I do worry about:
- Being stupid for giving up such an easy job, high salary and benefits
- Having enough money
- What I will do after 6 months
- Health
- all the other fears people have mentioned
- stupid things are bothering me
Regrets, ("I have a few but, then too few to mention" - Frank)
- Opportunities not taken
- Not realizing my management had not backbone - something I could have exploited to my benefit
- Not getting more money and advancing further
- Not loving and laughing enough

Most of those things I will let go of and move on.
Others I will try to correct.
Wish me luck!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: On the Path - No. 5
Old 04-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I don't post too often.* I'm doing this to give those thinking about RE what they may go through.
How can someone with over 500 posts say this?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad you posted. over 500 posts in over 2.5 years is low by most standards.

good luck and keep telling us what you are going through. My plan is mid July.

How old are you anyway?
shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #4

I have had many of these same thoughts. I asked a member of management today if they offered any sabatticals. I already knew that they did not. I looked up gradual retirement on the personnel website. I go through stages where I can hardly wait and then I get cold feet.

Deep down, I am sure that I am doing what I need to do, but it is hard letting go of what you have been doing for the last 32 plus years. You know what your job is at work and you have your set routine. What exactly do you do the rest of your life?

Dex and I need a pep talk guys! Please hold our hand and reassure us once again.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Dex and I need a pep talk guys! Please hold our hand and reassure us once again.

Dreamer
Let's all join hands and form a circle....OK, maybe not.

Both of you need to take a deep breath and repeat after me: This is the best decision I've ever made and I will look back in a few months at my "cold feet" and say to myself...What the HECK was I thinking!? I absolutely love being retired!!!

Yesterday was my 11 month anniversary of 'slipping the surly bonds' and I still wake up every morning with a smile on my face, looking forward to another day doing whatever it is I want to do (as long as it's OK with DW ).

Come on in, the water's fine....
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

FIREd for 6 months and I am embarassed to admit that I stayed a year and a half longer than the minimum time, thinking that the money was important.* I* lasted 30.5 years.* Leaving work is the very best thing I've done for myself other than finding my wife.* We are happier* since I'm not tired and grumpy when I am home.* Now I realize how much work took from me.*
FIRE is like daybreak.* Everywhere you look, the world keeps getting brighter.* It feels like a new beginning.* Of what, I don't know.
Time feels different.* I have thrown away my watch.* There is no grind to get to Friday, and then hustle to finish something before dark on Sunday.* *How did someone conceive of giving a watch to a retiree as a token of appreciation?* Must have been someone still working.
Still in the eurphoric stage, Joe.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I haven't got to RE yet so I can't give you guys any first-hand experience, but I 'feel your pain." It's scary to let go of the known and step out into the world.

I watch a lot of nature programs. Oftentimes, some wild animal is injured, rescued, nursed back to health and re-introduced into its habitat. I notice that when they open the cage to release said animal, it oftentimes just sits there, cowers deeper back into the cage, and has to be poked with a stick before it will jump back out into the world.

Same thing here.

We've all been caged so long we have to be poked, sometimes by the death of a friend, a buy-out offer from the office, etc. The hardest thing is to move forward without the poke.

I try to remember this when faced with the "leap o' faith." It's a big, beautiful world out there, the cage door is wide open... what are we waiting for?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My BIL and sister are retired.. and have been for a couple of years but not ER...

They went down to their boat for two weeks for a vacation... he said retirement was a hard job to do and he needed a break
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #9

Thanks REWahoo and heyyou! Those were both great pep talks! I feel much better. What about you Dex?

Welcome to the board heyyou. I hope that you keep sharing!

Caroline, I like your analogy with the caged animals. I do equate retirement with freedom. I am sure that I will adjust and wonder why I ever worried!

Dreamer

Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Dreamer,
I appreciate everyone's support and experiences they share.

I know I will RE in June. I know I will, I know I will, I know I will.
It is still a difficult change in thinking and fear of the future that will be with me for awhile - I think. Or at least until I get Heyyou and ReWahoo are.