Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watched the show and it was interesting.
I honestly was thinking it would be more about the people, culture and show more of the area, land and water.
Turned out to be a 30 day open season gator hunt mostly.
It was neat to see the action and hear the attitudes and accents anyway.
Does anyone know of a documentary or interesting show about the people and culture etc?
I guess I'm looking for a trip to the area without leaving the couch for now.
Steve

PS. Good move W2R, slipped a little advertising in on the house.

You know what, I think you will miss the food, area & culture more than you think. But I guess you can always visit and you will have one up on those of us that wouldn't even know our way around.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep - until five years ago when Katrina blew/washed it away...

EDIT: Here's the play-by-play as it unfolded on the forum: Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)
I didn't realise it all got destroyed. Seems there is a lot to be rebuilt and some areas that will never be the same. Guess it adds meaning to the old walk in another persons shoes stories we've all heard.
Just noticed the link you added. Will check it out.
Steve

Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We had "People of the Swamp" on the tv for a few minutes before DW made me change the channel. Going to new Orleans next month for my nephew's wedding. I'm sure DW won't leave the hotel.
Maybe you should take her on a surprise gator hunt.
That would liven things up a bit.
Steve
Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
What about camping areas, anything interesting going on with that?
We were there two years after katrina and then again three years after. We didn't have problems finding campgrounds -- both times were around Mardi Gras, BTW. Right in NO is a fairly nice KOA that I would have no problem recommending. Elsewhere, the larger cities of La had well-maintained modern campgrounds. Outlying areas ran the gamut -- generally having to do with lack of water. You should have no problems... well, I speak for the Spring-time only.

We did, out of character for us, take a three hour "swamp" tour (I don't remember where -- but could look it up when we get back to Denver) that was quite interesting and $75 apiece well spent. The guide took us up to within a foot or so of many alligators and, oh!, the birds. Enjoyed it immensely.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
We were there two years after katrina and then again three years after. We didn't have problems finding campgrounds -- both times were around Mardi Gras, BTW. Right in NO is a fairly nice KOA that I would have no problem recommending. Elsewhere, the larger cities of La had well-maintained modern campgrounds. Outlying areas ran the gamut -- generally having to do with lack of water. You should have no problems... well, I speak for the Spring-time only.

We did, out of character for us, take a three hour "swamp" tour (I don't remember where -- but could look it up when we get back to Denver) that was quite interesting and $75 apiece well spent. The guide took us up to within a foot or so of many alligators and, oh!, the birds. Enjoyed it immensely.
Good news, so some camp grounds are up and running.
I was beginning to wonder.
I'm assuming the boat ride was on an air boat? May not be as many of those as I think though. Most of what they were using in the show last night were regular out board boat engine types.
Most of the rides in the everglades are air boats so that's where my assumption comes from.
Steve
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good news, so some camp grounds are up and running.
I was beginning to wonder.
I'm assuming the boat ride was on an air boat? May not be as many of those as I think though. Most of what they were using in the show last night were regular out board boat engine types.
Most of the rides in the everglades are air boats so that's where my assumption comes from.
Steve
No. It was in a boat with an outboard motor -- the kind of boat that is flat-bottomed but has high sides. The guide, for instance, simply skimmed over logs and other debris. All the time going at a speed no greater than a gentle walk -- we cetainly didn't startle any wildlife. I highly recommend it.

The swamps of La are not like the Everglades. It is more like a Rain Forest that was flooded. Speed is not an option.

Yeah, air boats. We took a short ride in the Everglades and I was very unimpressed. The driver thought he was a Carnival Ride operator making the ride the experience rather than the Everglades... of course, the kids on board loved it. Oh! And in the Air Boat there must have been twenty/thirty passengers. There were only six of us on the Swamp Boat.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
There is a special TV show on tonight (history channel- time 9 central) about the people of the swamp. <snip>Steve
Looks like the name of the show is Swamp People. Thanks. I setup a season pass for it on the TiVo.

Being a coonass (slang for cajun) from a little town on the Atchafalaya River about halfway between Baton Rouge and Alexandria, I would say that N'awlins is not representative of "cajun country" -- by a long shot. New Orleans is much more refined than the rest of Louisiana in general. I don't mean this in a negative way about New Orleans or the rest of Louisiana, after all, that is where I am from. I just don't think somebody who has been only to New Orleans can say they experienced Louisiana -- that would be like saying you learned all about Texas from your fly-in trip to Dallas.

To me, "cajun country" is a circle centered in Lafeyette with roughly a 50-75 mile radius -- Opelousas, Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Ville Platte -- just the names of the towns say "cajun". The region is known as Acadiana. There you can hear the thick accents (and it is quite different from the New Orleanian accent) eat gumbo, couchon de lait, boudin and fresh cracklins, hog head cheese, dirty rice (aka rice dressing), and have a crawfish boil, and find a good muffaletta, too. There are also some pretty good tamales there. Eating crawfish in a restaurant misses out on the experience of "the boil", with corn and potatoes and onions and dumping the stuff out on a picnic table covered with old newspapers and digging in, cajun music in the background, and cold beer. Same is true for a fish fry. Like most places, there is no shortage of local festivals where this can be experienced.

As they say, laissez les bons temps rouler.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
Administrator

Rustward is exactly right. New Orleans is not really Cajun Country, nor do we travel by pirogues and so on since this is not really swamp country. We are surrounded by water but in a "soupbowl" that is kept dry by an elaborate and amazing drainage system (most of which was badly damaged by Katrina). I have a lot of friends in the area south of Lafayette, and the Cajun influence, the music, the Cajun French, and the overall warm and delightful culture there is much different than New Orleans.

Meadbh asked about Cafe du Monde, and I just remembered that I took a photo of it last month:

As long as I am posting photos that I took in July, here's one of Canal Street showing one of the new red streetcars (that were destroyed by the Katrina flood so I think these were all re-purchased). These are the new, air conditioned streetcars, not the historic streetcars which were largely unharmed by the flood and are green. See my profile for a photo of one of the historic streetcars. BTW - - notice: no swamp, no alligators, no coonass fais-do-do , fiddlers, swamp pop, or pirogues:

And for Moemg, a photo of Harrah's. For what it's worth, Frank said it isn't safe for tourists to walk in that area even during the day, because in his opinion "the scumbags can detect a tourist a mile off".

Finally, my favorite, the statue of Joan of Arc in the Quarter. What a woman!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Looks like the name of the show is Swamp People. Thanks. I setup a season pass for it on the TiVo.

Being a coonass (slang for cajun) from a little town on the Atchafalaya River about halfway between Baton Rouge and Alexandria, I would say that N'awlins is not representative of "cajun country" -- by a long shot. New Orleans is much more refined than the rest of Louisiana in general. I don't mean this in a negative way about New Orleans or the rest of Louisiana, after all, that is where I am from. I just don't think somebody who has been only to New Orleans can say they experienced Louisiana -- that would be like saying you learned all about Texas from your fly-in trip to Dallas.

To me, "cajun country" is a circle centered in Lafeyette with roughly a 50-75 mile radius -- Opelousas, Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Ville Platte -- just the names of the towns say "cajun". The region is known as Acadiana. There you can hear the thick accents (and it is quite different from the New Orleanian accent) eat gumbo, couchon de lait, boudin and fresh cracklins, hog head cheese, dirty rice (aka rice dressing), and have a crawfish boil, and find a good muffaletta, too. There are also some pretty good tamales there. Eating crawfish in a restaurant misses out on the experience of "the boil", with corn and potatoes and onions and dumping the stuff out on a picnic table covered with old newspapers and digging in, cajun music in the background, and cold beer. Same is true for a fish fry. Like most places, there is no shortage of local festivals where this can be experienced.

I passed through and camped in "coonass" country and I will never forget the hospitality of the people and their delicious food.

Good thread about NO and LA.

Although I am a yankee, I consider myself a swamp person.
There is nothing more beautiful than paddling a canoe through a river swamp.

Free to canoe
Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To me, "cajun country" is a circle centered in Lafeyette with roughly a 50-75 mile radius -- Opelousas, Breaux Bridge, Broussard, Ville Platte -- just the names of the towns say "cajun". The region is known as Acadiana. There you can hear the thick accents...
Our "Swamp Tour" was out of Breaux Bridge and the Guide was definitely Cajun -- talked like, looked like, and acted like. One of the best tour guides ever.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks ,I am definetely going to keep this in mind for a road trip !
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #32

Quote:

This seems more to what and where my interest really are.
The real culture and learning about it as I travel.
Any clue on finding out about good eating festivals, that are reasonably safe for all.
Steve
Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #33

Most of these are not really gigantic events (say, like Mardi Gras in New Orleans), so you should not be too concerned about personal safety, but the usual cautions apply. The idea is to have fun.

As far as the food goes, if you are a picky eater (for example, do not eat anything with liver in it, just one example) inquire about the ingredients of the dish.

Here is a web site that lists some festivals: CajunFun.com: Festivals Category Listing

Also recommend the Liberty Theater in Eunice. It is a performance hall format rather than a festival, but they have something every weekend. Haven't been in several years, but there is a museum next door (The Prairie Acadian Culture Center) that usually has activities on Saturdays before the Liberty performances. I think the last time we were there they had a Cajun cooking class.
City of Eunice - Official Liberty Theater Schedule
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - Schedule Of Events (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #34

My closest friend at work hails from Feliciana Parish which is quite rural as she tells it. She lived in Metairie, Baton Rouge, N.O. as a student and young nurse. She is very interesting and has an encyclopedic knowledge of nature and rural life. A real do-it-yourself sort of person and one with absolutely no airs about her. She is probably the most honest and generous person I have ever known. And she makes to-die-for pralines!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #35

Looks like the "swamp people" continues tonight at 9:00 central time on the history channel.
I really didn't realize it would be more than one show in the beginning. Hope it covers more of the culture/people & food.
Just a reminder for those interested.
Sure hope this isn't the same show being shown over again, but I really do not know?
Steve
Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #36

Thanks for the tip! I watched it last week. Catching gators for a living - very tough job, but they're just trying to get by like everyone else. And they seem like very good hearted, down to earth, family oriented people. Not what I expected when I first saw the name of the show.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

After seeing this thread yesterday, I watched the show last night. Can't imagine hunting gators for a living - much braver than I. Somehow I had the impression this was a series. I'll watch for it again next week.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #38

Swamp People &mdash; History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Here's an interesting job... catching snapping turtles by hand!

Not from the show but... different.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Although I am a yankee, I consider myself a swamp person.
There is nothing more beautiful than paddling a canoe through a river swamp.

Free to canoe
Finally saw an episode of this People of The Swamp show last night.
I would like to now distance myself from it.
Just a show about gator hunting.

Free to canoe