Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

My kind of swamp, down the road on my morning and evening walks today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 594.jpg (456.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 573.jpg (660.5 KB, 4 views)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My kind of swamp, down the road on my morning and even walks today:
Simply lovely.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My kind of swamp, down the road on my morning and evening walks today:
Nice color!

What kind of trees are those?
Are they larch?

Free to canoe
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Nice color!

What kind of trees are those?
Are they larch?

Free to canoe
Yup, they are larch, subspecies tamarack. Their needles turn after the leaves have fallen off the deciduous trees so they are the last of our fall color.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

I just moved from Louisiana, Lafayette (River Ranch to be exact)...New Orleans is fun but if you want real swamp food/cajun food one needs to be in the heart of Acadiana and be in Lafayette or Baton Rouge. My favorite place in Randol's and then Prejeans...great food
Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #46

Saw what might be the last show of the season -- gator season. I did like the series, as it reminded me of home and some things I have forgotten about. For example, two of the characters -- Mike Kliebert (pronounced clee-bare) and his son known as T-Mike. Anyone who saw the show would have noticed that Cajuns are not the most articulate people, frequently dropping letters and syllables from words, sometimes more than once in the same word. The T in T-Mike is the Cajun pronounciation of "petite". T-Mike means "Little Mike", although the guy is anything but little. Wonder if the producers know what the T means . . .

Bruce, Mike, and T-Mike: Swamp People — Meet the Swamp People — History.com
You have to admit, Bruce is kinda gutsy hunting alligators alone with his dog.

As the youngest of four siblings, into my teens I was known to one set of grandparents as T-Bay.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #47

We lived in Louisiana, although it was in the NW part of the state, where the "normal" people live . I told the wife that when I retire, we're moving down south to cajun land and I'm gonna hunt gators, snakes, turtles & frogs....and she's gotta clean 'em! So....I won't bother posting her reply lol!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
We lived in Louisiana, although it was in the NW part of the state, where the "normal" people live . I told the wife that when I retire, we're moving down south to cajun land and I'm gonna hunt gators, snakes, turtles & frogs....and she's gotta clean 'em! So....I won't bother posting her reply lol!
You'll really be eating paleo with that stuff. I hope you do it. When I was a kid I ate fried frog's legs and fried snapping turtle, but never had any gator. I ate some grilled rattlesnake out in Texas, and it was good but I liked frog and turtle better. I also had frogs legs in a fancy NYC French restaurant. Really good there too, but sautéed in butter and garlic.

In my boyhood and also after I was married the rule was always "you kill it, you clean it". But both my Mom and my aunts and my wife were excellent game cooks.

Ha
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #49
Administrator

Gator is delicious - - but being a city girl, I only eat it in restaurants (where it is sometimes offered as an appetizer).

And yes, like you I thought it was pretty scary when he was hunting gators all by himself. Guess he knew what he was doing, though.

I used to work with the Fish and Wildlife person whose job was to do our seasonal gator census (among other things). That's about as close to gators as I ever wish to be.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #50

I see gators all the time when I'm out fishing in Lousiana & east Texas. They don't bother me & I give 'em plenty of room. I have, on occasion, gotten a little too close, but so far they've left me alone. I've eaten gator a few times, but it's not really my favorite meat. Never tried turtle, snake or even frog legs. Had plenty of chances for legs, but just haven't tried it yet.

Even though I've spent most of my Louisiana time in the Shreveport/Bossier area, you'd be surprised how many gators we have up there. On the AF base where I used to work, there were lots of 'em. They have gator hunts on the base every couple of years. I havent' seen any over 12 feet, but that's plenty big.

My little 4 yr old grandaughter loves going to the family alligator park that's not too far from Shreveport. http://www.alligatorpark.net/ They take a little 2 footer, wrap some duct tape around it's mouth, & let the kids hold it for a pic. Yeah, I know, the gator probably doesn't like it much.....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

shhhh don't tell PETA