Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
People of the Swamp
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
People of the Swamp

There is a special TV show on tonight (history channel- time 9 central) about the people of the swamp. Not sure I have the name of the show perfect but sounded interesting, considering everything that has happened to the Louisiana area in the last several years. I've been contemplating a trip to the area but I have never been there. Not sure right now is a good time with all the environmental things going on though.

Earth to W2R, you are the first person that comes to mind in the area.
Has there ever been a discussion on where to go, eat and stay in Na Leans on the forum? Do you know the thrifty but reasonably safe motels/hotels and all that?
What about camping areas, anything interesting going on with that?
I've just got to get out that way and try the gumbo, shrimp and oysters. I love good sea food.
Come on, fire up the taste buds & interest in this thread, with info for us all?
Steve
__________________

__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,616
didn't unclemick live in a bait camp for a while?
__________________

__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
didn't unclemick live in a bait camp for a while?
Yep - until five years ago when Katrina blew/washed it away...

EDIT: Here's the play-by-play as it unfolded on the forum: Run, unclemick! (unclemick checks in on page 8!!!)
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
I stayed at a campground shortly before Katrina near lake Pontchartrain. I just checked, it isn't there any more. I would love to visit again but have had similar concerns as Steve's.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I stayed at a campground shortly before Katrina near lake Pontchartrain. I just checked, it isn't there any more. I would love to visit again but have had similar concerns as Steve's.

Gee, that may be the situation on a lot of things in the area.
But maybe there will be better, more modern camp grounds for us all.
Steve

PS. show starts in 4 minutes in my area. Got to go watch.
See you all after the flick.
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,869
For food, try Fitzmorris's recommendations at www.nomenu.com . I don't know of places for the public to stay/camp. I haven't stayed in a hotel here since 1955.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Gee, that may be the situation on a lot of things in the area.
But maybe there will be better, more modern camp grounds for us all.
Steve

PS. show starts in 4 minutes in my area. Got to go watch.
See you all after the flick.
Report back. I don't have a tv.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
I've been to N.O. and Biloxi after Katrina. It felt like another country. Some people in Biloxi told me they go hit harder by Katrina and were mad that N.O. got all the attention.

I get the sense the area is a state of mind rather than a place to see the sights. It definitely is different culture in that area.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For food, try Fitzmorris's recommendations at www.nomenu.com . I don't know of places for the public to stay/camp. I haven't stayed in a hotel here since 1955.

But since you & Frank eat out every day you have to have some great recommendations that are not in any guide book . You are always mentioning the great food .Plus you know what areas that are safe for tourists now ! Help us find the new New Orleans ! I haven't visited since Katrina and am ready to go again !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,181
Watching the show now....love those accents!
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
But since you & Frank eat out every day you have to have some great recommendations that are not in any guide book . You are always mentioning the great food .Plus you know what areas that are safe for tourists now ! Help us find the new New Orleans ! I haven't visited since Katrina and am ready to go again !
Moe, Moe... one of the things I have also often said on the message board too, is that everyone who tries a restaurant in New Orleans thinks they have discovered a marvel. They haven't. The truth is that the restaurant business here is very competitive, and that the food in the little hole-in-the-wall neighborhood restaurants that nobody has ever heard of is fabulous, often just as good as food from the expensive tourist restaurants.

New Orleans has a phenomenon that is not so common in other cities and is called the neighborhood restaurant. This is generally a little hole-in-the-wall place that is mostly patronized by people in the immediate neighborhood, and generally serves New Orleans food such as gumbo, po'boys, or maybe something like shrimp creole. Prices are low, service is warm and personal once they get to know you, and the food is unbelievable.

Here is what we do - - we just go to one of these little out of the way places. There are tens of thousands of such restaurants here. If you can pick one that is not a chain restaurant, and looks like it has been there for more than ten years, you will be fine. If Fitzmorris says it is fine, then you are assured of that fact by the most recognized food critic in New Orleans, which is why I gave you www.nomenu.com . That's what many/most locals do if interested in a restaurant they haven't yet tried. We have probably been to 1,000 such restaurants, though we tend to give more repeat business to restaurants near us. The owner of our favorite neighborhood restaurant lived adjacent to Frank, and his son who runs it now knows us well.

Today we tried something different and ate at Sake Cafe, a Japanese restaurant on Magazine Street. We like their crawfish springroll. The waitress there recognized us from a Cajun restaurant where she had previously been a waitress, and even remembered our favorite dish there. Of course our order at the Japanese restaurant was completely different. That happened before to us once - - our favorite upscale Creole restaurant before the storm (La Cuisine) was demolished and never came back, yet a waitress from La Cuisine waited on us at another restaurant in Kenner. A waiter from there saw us at another restaurant in the Garden District, where he was dining. New Orleans is *such* a small town, sometimes!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
They haven't. The truth is that the restaurant business here is very competitive, and that the food in the little hole-in-the-wall neighborhood restaurants that nobody has ever heard of is fabulous, often just as good as food from the expensive tourist restaurants.

New Orleans has a phenomenon that is not so common in other cities and is called the neighborhood restaurant. This is generally a little hole-in-the-wall place that is mostly patronized by people in the immediate neighborhood, and generally serves New Orleans food such as gumbo, po'boys, or maybe something like shrimp creole. Prices are low, service is warm and personal once they get to know you, and the food is unbelievable.

Here is what we do - - we just go to one of these little out of the way places. There are tens of thousands of such restaurants here. If you can pick one that is not a chain restaurant, and looks like it has been there for more than ten years, you will be fine. We have probably been to 1,000 such restaurants, though we tend to give more repeat business to restaurants near us. The owner of our favorite neighborhood restaurant lived adjacent to Frank, and his son who runs it now knows us well.


And that is exactly what we want the name of a few good out of the way places that you & Frank would recommend . I am sure you have some favorites that we would all love to try . My mouth is watering already ! Plus what hotel areas are safe since Katrina ? Last time we were there we stayed in the Hilton ( I think ) across from Harrah's Casino . Is it still a safe area ? By the way great idea for a thread Steve !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
And that is exactly what we want the name of a few good out of the way places that you & Frank would recommend . I am sure you have some favorites that we would all love to try . My mouth is watering already ! Plus what hotel areas are safe since Katrina ? Last time we were there we stayed in the Hilton ( I think ) across from Harrah's Casino . Is it still a safe area ? By the way great idea for a thread Steve !
Well there you go! I gave you not only the name of the exact restaurant where we ate this very afternoon (!!!), but also what we ate this very afternoon and that we liked it. I would tell you where we are going to eat tomorrow, if it weren't for internet stalkers (and besides, we haven't decided yet). Like many of the restaurants we go to outside of our own neighborhoods, we may not eat there again for months. If you bother to click on it www.nomenu.com has a list of just about all of the decent restaurants (whether out of the way or touristy), along with reviews, and anything with three stars or better is going to be fabulous. So many restaurants, so little time...

I don't have a hotel to recommend here - - since like most locals I don't stay in hotels here - - I stay at my house. I live here, shop here, go to the gym here, talk to my neighbors here, and do my laundry here. We go to Harrah's now and then without any problem and I'm sure that hotel is fine, although personally I wouldn't walk around at night by myself much in some of the neighborhoods near there. The concierge at your hotel can doubtless fill you in on what you need to know.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
It's been almost 20 years since my one visit to NOLA, and that time I stayed at the Hilton. Some time afterwards, a ship hit the quay outside the hotel.

Is Preservation Hall still in business? N'Awlins Old Cookery? The overpriced Antoine's? Cafe du Monde?

Paging W2R.....
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's been almost 20 years since my one visit to NOLA, and that time I stayed at the Hilton. Some time afterwards, a ship hit the quay outside the hotel.

Is Preservation Hall still in business? N'Awlins Old Cookery? The overpriced Antoine's? Cafe du Monde?

Paging W2R.....
Yes, dunno, yes, and yes! Tourist destinations such as those are New Orleans' bread and butter. The Quarter was almost unaffected by Katrina and hasn't changed much, but it is more dangerous in some areas at night than it was years ago. So if in doubt, there are lots of cabs to whisk one back to the hotel.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Report back. I don't have a tv.
Well, the show was mostly about the people that live off the land. Hunting gators, fishing and trapping.
I love the accents too. Very unique people to say the least. Looked like a tough life but they were enjoying themselves.
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't have a hotel to recommend here - - since like most locals I don't stay in hotels here - - I stay at my house. I live here, shop here, go to the gym here, talk to my neighbors here, and do my laundry here.

Yes, and your going to start renting it out to some of us, if you don't sell it, Right
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 654
Hold that thought W2R !
I've got to take care of a few things so may not be back on line until later.
Count to 10 and maybe you will over come that desire to yell at me.
Steve
__________________
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,869
Hey, if anybody here wants a nice vacation home in New Orleans, come on down! Just bring money (and not that much) and it's yours.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #20
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,348
We had "People of the Swamp" on the tv for a few minutes before DW made me change the channel. Going to new Orleans next month for my nephew's wedding. I'm sure DW won't leave the hotel.
__________________

__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I see through people amagqira Hi, I am... 8 06-28-2010 07:53 AM
People who do polls about people who do polls about people in California-friendly? FUEGO Other topics 22 04-22-2009 09:57 AM
Swamp (evap) Cooler Pete Other topics 6 08-04-2008 07:28 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.