Join Early Retirement Today

Re: People Who Should Retire But Don't
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Get this, today I am a substitute for a home economics teacher who is on a field trip with almost all of the students in her 3 classes. I am getting paid to hand out a test and talk about how to cook/barbeque Chicken and ribs. Oh and play on a computer.

I get to pick and choose where and when and what to sub for. I have my pick of well over 20 jobs a day in 10 different high schools and Middle schools in the Raleigh NC area. This is just the easiest thing I have ever done. And i also can work when i want to.

This sure beats my old Newark NJ teaching days.
You have it made NewGuy.

You were a PE teacher and coach, right? Do you nevertheless sub in math, science, and English?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Why quit if you get paid to do nothing?
So you can do nothing on your terms.... looking busy can be real hard work.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #43
gone traveling

Gang my day got even better. At 1pm the teacher who I was Substitute teaching for came back from her trip came back to the classroom and said hey I have some things to do in the class so go on home!

Then I was asked to be an Algebra II teacher tomorrow and get this was told to bring a book, she has a student teacher who is going to teach the 3 blocks, they just need a certified teacher in the room! Sweet I am there!! Another 100 bucks and her day ends at 12:45!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Newguy, I love to read your posts....you remind me of my northeast roots!
You've got it made...good for you!
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
one of my co workers at the front desk was a 68 yr old woman who had worked in the national parks for 4-5 years every summer.
This reminds me of some of the docents at the Redwood National Park visitor's center. These guys love to talk -- too much. Ask a simple yes/no question, and they'll talk for 10 minutes.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:37 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Man Newguy you seemed to have walked into the mythical "cake job." I was a sub in Chicago in the early 70s and I don't remember it being all that easy. One time in a 6th grade class on the ground floor a BIG kid from the high school next door was standing in the window harassing kids in my class. I tried to run him off and he started climbing in the window after me. One of my kids said something like "watch out, our teacher know karate" - the kid backed out pointing at me and mumbling something. I later discovered you could put in for half day classes and was able to get a morning gym assignment and an afternoon special ed assignment that lasted for several weeks -- that was fun. I couldn't teach now without going back and taking some more courses and doing some student teaching. I had a "provisional" certification of some sort. There was a teacher shortage at the time.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #47

One guy who should have retired is this NASA nutcase who couldn't handle the stress. Fortunately not many go postal with guns but there are many who kill themselves through heart attacks or other health problems.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

FIL should have retired before his health forced it on him. Unfortunately, they weren't in a position to do it financially before then. Reason #735 we're working on FIRE--his death last year lit a fire (so to speak) under both our butts.

We've also got a cataloger who is in her late 70s--she loves coming to work every day, seems to need the socialization, but is getting slower physically and mentally as the years go on. It's a tough situation for us (especially my boss), as on one hand someone else could do the job more efficiently, but on the other I'm not sure she'd live even a year after retirement.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #49

Ken Lay is another guy that should have retired a loooooooong time ago. If he did, he would probably still be alive and enjoying his millions, Enron may still have been in business, and all the Enron employees may not have lost their life savings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ken lay.jpg (16.5 KB, 271 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb ken lay.jpg_thumb (34.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #50
gone traveling

Another fantastic part time experience. Saturday track meet. We met the varsity track team members who were entered in the Invitational down here in raleigh yesterday at the meet, so we did not have to take the bus. Meet started at 8am cioaches were givin free coffee , bojangles breakfast. Team got to the meet parents and some drove themselves. Meet started Our Girls team broke two school records the boys team members had some personal best times. Sunny 70 degrees no wind. We were done at 11:45 am. Left for a day of fishin on the kayak.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #51

Add another slob to the list...

Conrad Black Found Guilty of Fraud in Chicago Trial

By Andrew Harris and Joe Schneider
Conrad Black, former Hollinger International Inc. chairman

July 13 (Bloomberg) -- Conrad Black, former chief executive officer of Hollinger International Inc., was found guilty of defrauding the newspaper publisher, becoming the last CEO convicted in a five-year U.S. crackdown on corporate crime.
Black, 62, was found guilty of three fraud charges and obstruction of justice. Jurors found him not guilty of nine charges. All three codefendants were convicted of the same fraud counts.
Black and two other men were accused of stealing $60 million from Hollinger, once the world's third-largest publisher of English-language newspapers. Prosecutors said the money was disguised as fees the men got for not competing with buyers of about $3 billion of newspapers Hollinger sold.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Black, 62, was found guilty of three fraud charges and obstruction of justice. Jurors found him not guilty of nine charges. All three codefendants were convicted of the same fraud counts.
Boy, that's a surprise. A couple days ago the jury seemed deadlocked.

I wonder if he has to give his peerage back?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Don't know, but I'll bet he'll be stripped of his Order of Canada.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Take abuse?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Take abuse?

Many of these are the ones handing it out and relishing doing so!
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple bosses come to mind

One was a partner in a three partner accounting firm. In addition to his lucrative practice ($300 an hour...he was chargeable 2000+hours per year plus of course the profit from the pee-ons) he has numerous rental properties purchased in the early 90's during a real estate slump and a $1Million+ home in Kananaskis, Alberta. The rental properties have easily tripled since then. I'm sure he is worth the $5-10 Million range without including the real estate. He is over 65 and still putting in 60 hour weeks...crazy

My current boss is in his 50's and has a very nice defined benefit pension from a company he used to work for that downsized and laid off a whole bunch of people over five years ago. We recently had a conversation about retirment and he wondered why I drove an older car and that I should "buy a sporty convertible...you only live once"....all the while thinking I am going to be retired at your age...actually well before...that is why I don't want a pricey car.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the new investors in our startup is a billionare. I had lunch with him to welcome him on board and fill him in on our operational plan for the next few months. At some point I brought up retirement and he said that he had thought about retiring, but he doesn't hunt, doesn't fish, doesn't play golf, and doesn't enjoy sitting in his boat for more than a few days at a time, so he always ended up back at work. He seems to genuinely enjoy working (investing in companies, so maybe that's the same as people here managing their portfolios), at his level there's not much grunt work involved...
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy View Post
One of the new investors in our startup is a billionare....I brought up retirement and he said that he had thought about retiring, but he doesn't hunt, doesn't fish, doesn't play golf, and doesn't enjoy sitting in his boat for more than a few days at a time, so he always ended up back at work. He seems to genuinely enjoy working...
Don't confuse "enjoy" with "being conditioned." Chances are people like this never experienced all that life has to offer. The best theoretical example I can give is Plato's Parable of the Cave.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #58

Or perhaps you are this guy. Retired from federal government ten years ago at age 55 with a pension of about $70K today; went back to work for federal government as a contractor with a salary greater than his government salary of about $130K. Has wife still working with a salary of about $125K who will collect a pension and SS when retired. They live off the wifes take home and bank/invest the rest. (He whines about the GPO/WEP because he now has to pay SS and wants benefits computed for a poor person instead of a middle level worker.) My conclusion upon being given this data a while back was that he works because it the money part has become a fun game for him and his wife. I think he wants to be remembered as the guy without a college degree who played the system like an violin and died rich with a screwdriver in his hand. He is the worker-bee level counterpart to the SES that retired to a VP job in a contractor office and earns very big bucks for lobbying his old friends that manage large pots of contract funds.

Sometimes the money involved with a retirement choice is so large compared to the current net worth that the person cannot afford to retire even though they have the money to retire. The first guy still goes to work with his buddies everyday in a very relaxed, well defined, job. The second gets to continue to wield power and visit his former workplace friends without the former responsibility.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I had a job that I enjoyed enough that I didn't want to retire early. Whether that enjoyment comes from the satisfaction of the job itself, the pay, the ego strokes, whatever. I think its great there are folks who enjoy what they do so much, they keep on going, and going, and going....
stephenandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a friend that has more money than he can ever spend and could quit with a monthly pension of 17K per month. He says he keeps working for the perks. He flys all over the world on a company jet and has great company outings.

He is starting to think about it though.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living