Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We perpetually travel (fulltime RVer) - have for >2 years now. Love it! But it's all been in the US so far (although Canada is well within our RV "range"). You are interested in international? So not sure I can help provide insight.

We'll probably start adding international trips before too long, but probably not extended > 1 month. We'll have to park our RV somewhere safe before flying/shipping off somewhere.

We love nature travel. I expect our international travel will be with nature tour groups - it's so much easier that way. $$$$ but you get to see sooooo much for so little hassle that to us it's worth it.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dawg52
Quote:
Good useful information. I have a lot to see here in the USA first, but someday I do plan to travel oversees. Not sure I want to travel abroad as a single though. The safety factor and just think I would enjoy it more with a group. But I'm not an extended travel type either.

Thanks!
Couchsurfing is also available throughout the US as well, and so is the HomeExchange. My understanding is that the HomeExchange allows you to visit a place more like a local instead of staying at a hotel.

Also, I forgot to put the link to Lance's Interview Bill Clevenger for those of you who might be interested in a fellow ER Forum member who is a Perpetual Traveler.

Really great quotes on loneliness... Great insights! thanks!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Going it alone may be part of the culture here. For a different take, see a very successful ER named Phil Greenspun. He strongly states, go on a trip, but go in a group. A guided tour of some kind.
I've been reading his blogged travels in Africa & Turkey, and I wonder when's the last time that he actually went on a tour with a group. But perhaps this was a sideline of business-related travel.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I've worked and lived 27 of 32 years in foreign countries.
Much of it was work long hours and 7 days a week.
owned a house in Thailand that I recently sold.
looking at traveling S./C. America now
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Going it alone may be part of the culture here. For a different take, see a very successful ER named Phil Greenspun. He strongly states, go on a trip, but go in a group. A guided tour of some kind.

Early Retirement

Ha

A very interesting article! His reasoning about going on group tours made sense to me.

But I don't agree with the author's recommendation of the movie "Broken Flowers" as a good one about an early retiree. This is a movie about a guy who travels around to visit all his former wives + lovers to make amends. Wow. Most of the women want to break his bones. It's really sad and depressing (with occassional humorous moments that would be mostly appreciated by women).
Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #26

I used to think I wanted the perpetual traveller lifestyle, but after 7 months of travelling around the world by myself I was ready to come home. For a while the stimulation and excitement of travel is invigorating, but after a while you want to have the same bed to come home to, and be able to own more things than fit in a backpack. You want to be an insider rather than an outsider. As a traveller you are always on the outside looking in, and after a while that gets old.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
As a traveller you are always on the outside looking in, and after a while that gets old.
Interesting. I think that might be very true if you are traveling solo. I wonder if it would have been different if you had a companion.

The nice thing about RV travel is that you DO get to sleep in your own bed every night - makes a huge difference. Also, you are not an outsider, because you are always parked around other RVers, so you always feel part of a community even though it is a very dynamic one.

Audrey
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Audreyhi1,
I agree with you about RVing. It provides the best of traveling - a familar home enviorment and the traveling experience.

I think perpetual traveling life is difficult without a comfortable place to lay your head and just chill out.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #29

I returned from SEA late August and I am off again to Thailand in 2 weeks. For me, it is a new and continuing experiment. I haven;t had an apartment for 1 1/2 years and just sold my 15 yo camry. I am traveling solo which I find a bit lonesome. I am trying to remedy that this time bringing not only my folding bike but a new laptop, 80g of downloaded music, which I missed greatly on my last long trip.
I usually keep a 1/2 an eye open for a possible miracle female traveling companion to share my adventures with.
Unlike some other single male PT, I am not interested in boozing or whoring. I just want a simple and enjoyable life somewhere over the rainbow.

MJ
Old 11-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #30

one of my considerations in whether or not to sail singlehanded or solo perpetual land-based travel is the possibility of finding a mate. i tend to think i'd have a better chance to meet someone if was renting apartments as opposed to living on the hook in some lagoon but maybe i am making too big a deal of it. i do know that when ever i think of billy and akaisha, i get really jealous. and when i think of my past partners dying on me, i get really pissed off. i'm also not real interesting in boozing and whoring, well, full time at least. but i'm even less interested in being sober and frigid. hopefully along the way i will find some balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I used to think I wanted the perpetual traveller lifestyle, but after 7 months of travelling around the world by myself I was ready to come home. For a while the stimulation and excitement of travel is invigorating, but after a while you want to have the same bed to come home to, and be able to own more things than fit in a backpack. You want to be an insider rather than an outsider. As a traveller you are always on the outside looking in, and after a while that gets old.
the type of perpetual travel i envision for myself is minimum 3 months and more likely 6 months to a year in a place. i think that would make a big difference when compared to traveling around the world in 7 months. i would think this especially true for single travelers who would then have the time it takes to form relationships.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #31

JamesInSanJose wrote "Has anyone else explored extended travel?"

I traveled around the world, taking 14 months, with my spouse in the late 90's. Whether you travel perpetually or just to a couple of countries, I recommend Lonely Planet guidebooks. They have a good web site too. They are aimed at independent travelers, and they try to help you be polite and thoughtful of the local customs, and assume you have the ambition to use local transport.
I suggest you make a list of places you want to go. If there is more than one continent, chances are a round-the-world ticket might save you a lot of money, if you want to plan that far ahead. There are "bucket shops", travel agencies that specialize in consolidating airline tickets for the big hops. Back in the late 90's they were mostly in London and Bangkok, but I don't know about now.
Then again, if you have no hurry, you may choose to take trains, buses, bicycles, and boats and skip the airplanes.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I traveled around the world, taking 14 months, with my spouse in the late 90's.
Too frugal,were you already retired then, or was that travel before you became enmeshed in your careers?

ha
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Then again, if you have no hurry, you may choose to take trains, buses, bicycles, and boats and skip the airplanes.
recent ad from Crew Wanted

Quote:
U.S => EUROPE / AFRICA. World Bicycle Tourist refuses to take an airplane! I am in Virginia, seeking transatlantic working passage. Not picky! Will ride to you. Some sailing experience, quick and eager learner, very capable and willing. Adventurous hardships are no problem! Fluency in Spanish & French. Stories to tell, fun to be had, friends to become! Please check out www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/worldtour07 and keep me rollin'! black_leopardstealth@yahoo.com (11/3/07)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #34

haha wrote: Too frugal,were you already retired then, or was that travel before you became enmeshed in your careers?

I was burnt out, but spouse and I didn't have enough saved yet to retire. We planned to return to work afterwards. We did work after but for only a few years. We had more money when we came back than when we left! We rented out the house, traveled on the cheap, and the 90's stock market rise didn't hurt either! I'd like to say it was skill, but a lot of luck was involved.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Any resources on frugal travel? DW wants to travel (both US and abroad), but thinks we'll need much $$$ to do it, which would delay ER by several years...

For the US, I'm thinking maybe RV. Or, if we find we don't care for that, what other options?

For abroad, I"m not sure (I do own Billy and Akaisha's CD, but it's a bit short on specifics).
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Boots n All is great!

FlogBlogger, thanks for turning me onto boots n all, I have been going through the website and forum. A great resource!

What is your connection with Semester At Sea?
Also, do you have a blog? (Since Blogger is in your handle.)

James
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSanJose View Post
What is your connection with Semester At Sea?
Also, do you have a blog? (Since Blogger is in your handle.)
I'm looking at semesteratsea for early retirement travel--currently on hold until such time as the Phoenix real estate market recovers.

No, no public blog to share as yet.

Bootsnall is a great resource for the perpetual traveller.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Any resources on frugal travel? DW wants to travel (both US and abroad), but thinks we'll need much $$$ to do it, which would delay ER by several years...

For the US, I'm thinking maybe RV. Or, if we find we don't care for that, what other options?

For abroad, I"m not sure (I do own Billy and Akaisha's CD, but it's a bit short on specifics).
Tick Tock ,
I travel frequently so I 'm always looking for a bargain . In bigger cities I've used Priceline with good results .I also use Kayak for bargain airfares .
Travelzoo is also a good source for bargains .If you travel slightly off peak there are a lot of good buys out there .For example ,Florida in November or early December great weather ,low crowds and lots of bargains .
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #40

Dex

Quote:
I think perpetual traveling life is difficult without a comfortable place to lay your head and just chill out.

The speed at which one travels is crucial to one's comfort level. When we first retired in 1991, we moved to Nevis and stayed there 6 months. Did a bit of travel between that and buying our rig and we RV'd for about 2 years. Then we went to Mexico with the idea we would stay 2 months, but we stayed 4 years... etc. etc.

Billy and I move pretty slowly, because constantly being on the move is exhausting. One must really find the style and speed that supports stability and movement at the same time, IMO. Like Audry1 said, RVing is 'perfect' because you have your own bed and kitchen, but your view changes all the time. Plus there is lots in common with your neighbors.

Congratulations MJ for selling your car! See you again in Thailand soon...

Lg4n

Quote:
i do know that when ever i think of billy and akaisha, i get really jealous. and when i think of my past partners dying on me, i get really pissed off.
There is no doubt that if I lost Billy, my style of traveling and living would be altered. I am independent, but I'm no female road warrior... LG4N I'm so sorry for your losses...

Tick Tock
Quote:
Any resources on frugal travel? DW wants to travel (both US and abroad), but thinks we'll need much $$$ to do it, which would delay ER by several years...For the US, I'm thinking maybe RV. Or, if we find we don't care for that, what other options?

1.)Housing and transport are two large areas of expenditure. If you modify your lodging expenses you will save much money. Try Couchsurfing or Home Exchange to aid you in this..

Favorite ER Links

2.)Consolidate your trips to one area of the globe at a time, or slow down your pace. There's no point in going from Kansas City to the Maldives then back home to Kansas City, wait a few months and then going to Vietnam.

3.)Decide to be either a traveler or a tourist. Tourists spend more $$ in a shorter period of time.

4.)You could also try crewing on a boat or taking up part time employment overseas at bed and breakfast places, hostels, and so on, which provide lodging as part of your salary.

Quote:

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify: Our 3rd Edition is much more detailed, due in part to our Readers writing to us with specific questions. We added 8 new chapters, extended the ones that were already there, added a links page to bring you to some of the sites we discuss in our book, tell you specifically what equipment we use and give you links for those items as well. We specifically extended our chapters on finance and housing.

Table of Contents

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement