Join Early Retirement Today

Perpetual Travellers?
Old 05-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Perpetual Travellers?

I plan to travel perpetually for maybe a year or more after retirement. Does anyone know of a forum for similar where the likeminded discuss this lifestyle?

Thanks!
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it's only for a year or two, that's a little short of perpetual isn't it? My apologies, but I'm feeling a little feisty this morning

I'm reminded of the times in my younger days when I ardently pledged to commit to *ahem* something for an entire night, and was sleeping like a baby an hour or two later

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not aware of any forums dedicated to perpetual travel. Tons of blogs by people doing it, though.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Tom,

Well It's a short term goal. Since it's something I've never done before....if I like it, I may never stop...although I have to imagine at some point...lol
Old 05-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

I totally get it. Was just being difficult. More power to you, and I hope it works out. If you never try it, you may always wonder.............

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm considered a perpetual traveler, however we just got back 2 days ago from Rome, Naples, Malta, Santorini, Turkey, Crete, Athens, Venice and London.

We'd been in the Baltics last August/September visiting all the Scandinavian countries--a trip of a lifetime.

My wife went on a cruise to Central America and Mexico in October.

In 2014, we went to Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna and Prague. We also spent February of that year in Las Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco. And we took a cruise to Aruba, Curacao and Turks/Caicos.

But we just hung up our suitcases for the near future. The wife's having serious foot problems, and there's just so much money to go around. The only reason we've been able to travel so much is that we're very, very good at finding ways to travel very inexpensively.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The only reason we've been able to travel so much is that we're very, very good at finding ways to travel very inexpensively.

I'm a points/miles/rewards/house sitting/etc. hobbyist. If you have any resources to share, I am interested. I suscribe to the major blogs, go to learning events, etc.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
that's a little short of perpetual isn't it?
My immediate reaction also, and like you no malicious or disparaging intent...just a chuckle.

And...more power to the OP...go for it!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I consider a perpetual traveler someone who does not have a home nor an RV, and moves from place to place with just a suitcase or a backpack. And generally, he does a lot of foreign travel. If you have a home base to go back to in order to recuperate, you are not a perpetual traveler.

Even some of the constant travelers eventually rent a place in a foreign country for a few months at a time, when they get tired of moving around so much. But as they do not intend to stay indefinitely, I still think of them as perpetual travelers.

This kind of life is not for me. I need my "stuff", and my wife needs hers.

PS. Most perpetual travelers eventually stop. So, it's perpetual until it is no longer so.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

PS. Most All perpetual travelers eventually stop. So, it's perpetual until it is no longer so.
Or, as my surgeon friends say, "All bleeding eventually stops."
Old 05-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So true.

I guess it depends on what the last destination is before one RIP. If it is a hospital room, I guess one can consider himself a perpetual traveler to the last possible moment.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I like putzing around in my own space too much to always be on the go.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #13

I like travel. But I need a home base- so no perpetual travelling for me. I have a friend who spent a year travelling - quit her job, rented her house out to a friend, and took off. Europe, South America, Asia, New Zealand, and Australia.

She strung together volunteering opportunities - which provided a host family accommodation situation. That made it much more affordable and gave her a foothold into the local culture. Me, I'm too lazy for that - and prefer to vacation apartment rentals... explore an area... then move to the next location. We did 9 weeks of this last summer... but that's a far cry from perpetual traveler.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I like a sense of permanence, and will not give up my homes (may go down to one at some point). But I also have wanderlust in my blood, and like to take long trips to see the world.

So many places, so little time (or energy and money).

Perpetual traveler
Old 05-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #15

Perpetual traveler

Lynne Martin and her husband Tim sold their home and are traveling all over, living in each place for a time. She wrote a book called "Home Sweet Everywhere" about their experiences
They have a blog called Home Free Adventures that has their story.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The longest we have gone without a home is eight months. I could easily have stayed out longer. DW wanted to go home, get her things out of storage, and start anew.

Now it is a max of about 12 weeks. Have not tried vacation home in the same spot for a few months/part of the year. That is on the list.

Based upon our 8 month experience, I would be OK with travelling for a year or two. Alas, spouse says go for it and send me a postcard.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

It may be easier for me than many. The only physical attachment I feel is to the area where my ancestors settled in the US and where I was raised - that is home and where I will be buried one day. Since college graduation, I've been a hired gun, none of these places have been home. I've always kept it light...so this shouldn't be a huge transition - guess I won't know until I try it. I'm also bilingual - I speak Spanish as well - so that opens up even more possibilities that I look forward to.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Lynne Martin and her husband Tim sold their home and are traveling all over, living in each place for a time. She wrote a book called "Home Sweet Everywhere" about their experiences
My unvarnished opinion: The book is short on specifics and long on dull anecdotes. She's done a great job of getting media attention, though.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Perpetual Travellers?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Perpetual Travellers?

Just got back from a 5 month trip to Australia and the Philippines...house sitting and traveling. Had to come back to cut the grass, but decided traveling to warm places is what we want to do when we grow up, so leaving again in November!

Lots of good posts here to learn from (will try to do a post on our experience soon) but agree there are lots of blogs out there that really motivated us to do it. Gocurrycracker.com and of course, http://retireearlylifestyle.com, were inspirations, both on the travel lifestyle and pulling the trigger to RE....lots of other travel blogs out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It is not perpetual travel but we do travel fairly often. At least twice a year, sometimes without a set agenda or specific destination. Though we always have a few in mind.

This August we will leave home for yet another wedding on Ontarlio. After that the plan is six/seven weeks in Southern Europe. Could be Greece, Spain, Turkey. Not certain. It will depend on what kind of a deal we can pick up on a combination of air fare, one way or return, last minute cruises (we have two itineraries in our sights). In between we may drive through the Gaspe region and on to Nova Scotia.

We have done this before. Ended up starting in Porto, Portugal one year because of a great one way air fare. We had never considered a visit to the area before but are so god we went. We had a wonderful week in the Douro Valley prior to flying to Rome and boarding a last minute bargain cruise.

In order to prepare we watch the pricing to see where the softness is, is where re prices slipping because of weak demand. Last year it was Greece..we had a wonderful vacation island hopping with no appreciable crowds.

We have our packing down for any eventuality. About the only thing we skip is formal night dining on a cruise ship. No room in our carry on for clothing that will only be worn a few times, for a few hours, on our trip.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote