Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was just working on my ER budget (AGAIN) yesterday...clothing was the topic. My list included jeans, shorts, tee shirts, flannel shirts, running shorts and shirts, running shoes, flip flops, all of that with one set on sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes that will probably be replaced once in 10 years after the last of my business clothing wears out. Oh, and yes, the pair of swim shorts that get put on in the morning, and worn all day as Rich mentioned (read, relax, rinse, repeat...)

As I was reflecting on this, I realized that these are the same types of clothes I wear when on vacation, every day.

I just came back from vacation, but seems like I'm ready for one that lasts permanently.

R
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I just came back from vacation, but seems like I'm ready for one that lasts permanently.

R
We'll let ya. Jump on in....the water is fine.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #23

I have always been fashion-impaired, and now I am even more so.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #24

Still a few years to go, but I'm already starting to make the transition:

1. in a firm which does not allow dress casual, I have unilaterally declared dress code independence by dropping down to smart casual (keeping a suit in the office for when I meet clients or management is in town)

2. I have just ordered what I hope will be my last business suit (as always, taking two pairs of trousers as they always wear out before the jackets do)

I don't think it will take much effort to make the change. Just back from a week's holiday in Phuket and thinking that it should have been longer.....about twenty years longer....
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

2 days a week I work in the office - dress pants, dress shirt, no tie.
1 day a week - work - site visit- jeans, t shirt or sweatshirt
off days - shorts, t shirt, sandals/running shoes when its hot
jeans, sweatshirt, hiking boots when its cold

When not working, I cut down shaving to about once every 4 days. No change in haircut
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, retirement really changed me. It used to be that I would wake up in the morning and know exactly where I was going. Now I wake up most mornings and have no idea where the hell I am.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I work from home so I'm mainly shorts/jeans, t-shirts/polos and sandals/tennis shoes anyway so I don't see much changing when I FIRE.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand...what to do, what to do with that man when he's over that barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would suggest to all women who don't have their men over a barrel, try to look pretty.
Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
When not working, I cut down shaving to about once every 4 days.
I've found that if I shave on the same days (say, Mondays and Thursdays) then it's a lot easier to keep track of which day of the week it is.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
..... Just back from a week's holiday in Phuket....
Uhhhh......if I'm pronouncing it like it looks, this sure sounds more like an attitude than an actual destination!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah....ummmm....my personal style can not be discussed on this forum...or any other forum for that matter.

There you again....! Making us all fellow forum members fantasize....
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Pretty Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
There you again....! Making us all fellow forum members fantasize....
I know what you are saying Vicente, we couldn't help it, she made us do it!

Ha
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I know what you are saying Vicente, we couldn't help it, she made us do it!

Ha
Armando Manzanero and Roy Orbison......! You sure know how to mix things. IŽll take Roy any all day!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Armando Manzanero and Roy Orbison......! You sure know how to mix things. IŽll take Roy any all day!
Not me. I think Adoro is the most beautiful popular song ever written.

No hay ayuda para mí, soy romantico.

Ha
Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #35

This morning I returned an item to a friend's house and she asked what I had going on today since I was so dressed up. I was wearing denim capris and a knit shirt. She was not being sacastic.

Oh dear, I guess that does say something about my personal style when denim capris qualify as dressed up!
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Bra and shoes added when I run errands.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Comfort and ease. That about sums up my retired style. Stopped coloring my hair. Gave away the suits and work clothes. Pared down to only 2 pr of heels. I was afraid to go natural on the hair but I've received so many compliments that I'm so happy I did. Is it possible that I can actually look younger with gray hair? I guess I must since people tell me I look much better. And I don't miss that coloring process (YUK!) one bit.
The surprising thing is how people relate to me now. Somehow the gray hair puts them at ease.
We're planning to move to FL from Chicago next year so I'm shedding more clothes and stuff. Heavy woolen clothes, boots, winter coats and anything I don't want to pay to move is leaving the premises. It's the only way I can cope with the overwhelming task of packing. One box at a time. Give away 2 items for every item I buy. For everything I give away, a load lifts from my shoulders.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
We're planning to move to FL from Chicago next year so I'm shedding more clothes and stuff. Heavy woolen clothes, boots, winter coats and anything I don't want to pay to move is leaving the premises. It's the only way I can cope with the overwhelming task of packing. One box at a time. Give away 2 items for every item I buy. For everything I give away, a load lifts from my shoulders.

Keep a few winter things for visiting Chicago . It is almost impossible to find real winter clothes in Florida especially boots and gloves. I have a small wardrobe that I keep just for trips up North . A must have is a leather jacket or rain coat with a zip in liner for travel . We do wear sweaters in January & February but only cotton ones . Panty hose are a endangered species in Florida where as pedicures are a must .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Keep a few winter things for visiting Chicago . It is almost impossible to find real winter clothes in Florida especially boots and gloves. I have a small wardrobe that I keep just for trips up North . A must have is a leather jacket or rain coat with a zip in liner for travel . We do wear sweaters in January & February but only cotton ones . Panty hose are a endangered species in Florida where as pedicures are a must .
Good ideas! Thanks. To get out of the heat and humidity of FL, our plan is to rent a cabin/condo in CO in the mtns for Aug/Sept. It should be reasonable since it's not ski season.That way, we'll get our taste of fall, even some snow, and cool nights. And, I can use my boots, gloves, sweaters and other cold weather favorites. We love camping so CO beckons.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #40

Change of style? Well, when I was working I felt I had to keep dying my hair, but, once I stopped working, I bleached it 6 times to get all the color out. Don't do this as my hair actually broke off in handfuls; however, I did let it grow out after that and it is now a silver gray and long. I get more compliments on it now than I ever did when it was dyed.
I also let it grow. When you dye your hair, long hair is a drag to dye. But now that I've let it go silver I've let it grow long. Wear it in a ponytail with bangs most of the time and once in awhile put it in a hip looking bunlike thingie. Ez to do and quick, and, amazingly, people seem to like it. Go figure?