Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I also let it grow. When you dye your hair, long hair is a drag to dye. But now that I've let it go silver I've let it grow long. Wear it in a ponytail with bangs most of the time and once in awhile put it in a hip looking bunlike thingie. Ez to do and quick, and, amazingly, people seem to like it. Go figure?

That is because you've probably achieved that silver hair yoga look that I would die for !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like others have said, I didn't shave every day after I retired and then decided to grow a beard. Trim it twice a week which keeps it short. If I wear a shirt that has to be buttoned, it feels odd so t-shirts and polo shirts are the norm now. At first I wondered what I could do with the time I saved from not shaving and then I realized it didn't matter.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That is because you've probably achieved that silver hair yoga look that I would die for !
I was thinking the same thing. Flowing silver locks... Oh, those yoga models - grrrr. I can't grow my hair long. I've tried several times and it just looks horrible - fine and limp and not nearly as thick as it used to be.

Good for you Orchid....sounds like you've found your style. I've lost mine and can't seem to find it.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #44

Well, thanks folks. What has surprised me most is that nobody every complimented me when I kept my hair dyed and short. Ever. And those ^%&$!!! haircuts/colors cost me alot. Again, ALOT $$$$!
Now I've let it grow long, slop it up in a ponytail and let it go...and I get compliments from hairdressers, just folks and even my girlfriend's husband told me it looked "distinguished." It surprises me each time I hear that still.
And to think of ALL that money I blew actually trying to make my hair look good. Like I said, go figure Heck, if I'd known this I'd let myself look like a slob years ago...chuckle, chuckle, chuckle!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Good for you Orchid....sounds like you've found your style. I've lost mine and can't seem to find it.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #46

Can't speak for happy2bretired but, for me, I know I still got it...I just can't remember what it was..ha!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The pic on the left is before ER, the right one after ER.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg norm1.jpg (3.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg norm2.jpg (3.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Before FIRE...my style could best be described as Asexual Engineer.
If I looked too "girly", they would not have taken me seriously. I always dressed nicely but conservatively. Slacks and mellow colored and patterned blouses. I wore a lab coat a lot of the time. Jewelry near DC power supplies, test equipment and optical fiber was a definite no-no.

After FIRE...I am having a ball wearing miniskirts, sundresses, jewelry, perfume, makeup, heels, the works. My fave Bostonian is a fan of real stockings (not pantyhose), so I have invested in the...um...things needed to wear those. I am reutilizing a lot of my work clothes, but I am using wilder combinations and lots of accessories.

Just for fun, I recently used a non-permanent deep auburn hair color at home. He mixed and dispensed the bottle, I did the smearing in. It turned out very dark. I will try a lighter red next time. It covered up the little bit of grey I had. It will rinse out after about a month.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #49

Oh, man...you go girl!!!! Hoooooowwwwwwllllll!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

After FIRE...I am having a ball wearing miniskirts, sundresses, jewelry, perfume, makeup, heels, the works. My fave Bostonian is a fan of real stockings (not pantyhose), so I have invested in the...um...things needed to wear those. I am reutilizing a lot of my work clothes, but I am using wilder combinations and lots of accessories.

Just for fun, I recently used a non-permanent deep auburn hair color at home. He mixed and dispensed the bottle, I did the smearing in. It turned out very dark. I will try a lighter red next time. It covered up the little bit of grey I had. It will rinse out after about a month.

I second Orchid Flowers You go girl and have a ball .
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Freebird5825: Go for it !!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a great topic. I am in my first month of retirement and need to find my comfort zone in this. I know I'll continue dying my hair. I bought a sweet sundress to wear at home and not bought anything else yet. I want the smart casual look when I go out and I think I'll continue wearing make up but low key kind. I think I need another pair of ballerina flats as the only pair I own is falling apart due to overwear. And I still wear all my jewellery - real and costume type as I can't bear to go out without ear-rings or rings. I think I know can wear more dangling type which I avoid if I was in office.

I need to reorganise my cupboards as I have 3 cupboards of clothes and now I have to transfer work clothes to the low priority cupboard and the casual ones get priority. That will be quite a project.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Since leaving my j*b in 1998, I've been the tee shirt, jeans and shorts wearin' kind of gal. Kept my hair short, grew it out a couple of times, went back to short... Traded in my sandals for leather biker boots... Have a closet full of police shirts.

Now my hair is getting long again...and I'm lookin' for some moccasins.

I guess we girlz can change our minds...

oh.....and I never leave home without wearing lipstick..
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I think I need another pair of ballerina flats as the only pair I own is falling apart due to overwear.

Check out Born ballerina flats . They are cute & comfortable and last forever . My favorite pair is six years old and still look great .
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah....ummmm....my personal style can not be discussed on this forum...or any other forum for that matter.
Your avatar sums it up nicely...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Check out Born ballerina flats . They are cute & comfortable and last forever . My favorite pair is six years old and still look great .
I spent 3 weeks in London and Paris earlier this year, took 3 pairs of shoes, and wore my red Born ballerina flats at least 90% of the time. I used to think I had to wear Mephisto walking shoes...no more!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I have only been retired for 1.5 month and so far I haven't changed my style yet. Pretty much all my clothes come and will continue to come from Banana Republic, so my style is kinda clean cut.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #58

Nice...and don't change your style then. Just remember: no overalls..ha!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
so my style is kinda clean cut.
Keeping your moustaches at that length seems like a lot of w*rk to me.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Your avatar sums it up nicely...........
Yes...but the lipstick keeps gettin' in the way....