Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Sarah - kitten fostering sounds like FUN ! I may look into that myself !
Yay! As a comparison to what might be available where you are, here is an info page about our local shelter's really great foster program. Might give you some ideas for questions to ask when you call. Be a Foster Parent - Charleston Animal Society
I wanted to do it very much in May, but I knew we'd be crazy busy this month so I sat on my hands.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I have almost always had a cat or two.

When the kids were young our 10 year old cat died and we were pet free for a few years until a friend of my sister's was relocating to England and had a brother and sister pair of cats that needed a new home. i was resistant but DH wanted to go for it.

Those cats were wonderful and a great addition to the family. One went missing 3 years later, they were indoor kitties but Pepper liked to escape out the door between our feet. One time she never made it back home despite our frequent searches and "missing" posters. I liked to imagine that she found a little old lady with a nice big tv to curl up on (this was before flat screen tvs).

Her brother seemed lonely so we adopted a kitten. The brother lived to age 17, a wonderful cat with a big personality who was our younger son's best friend. The kitten is now 18 years old, slow, but in decent health and has become "Daddy's Princess" in our house.

I've always wanted a dog but the cat won't let me get one. She's made it clear that she's happiest being an only girl.

When we still had two cats I found a wonderful local pet sitter. We don't travel much but I found that's easiest on the cats to have someone come here rather than transport them.

When our current cat passes we will definitely get another pet. A cat would be easier but I'd love to try a dog. Our yard is already fenced in.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
As a kid growing up I was never allowed the pleasure of a dog. I have since made up for that loss. I am like Brewer. I cannot imagine my life without my dog. They represent the best qualities the human race has to offer...
Well, aside from the poop and garbage eating.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sarah - kitten fostering sounds like FUN ! I may look into that myself !
Sarah is the pet equivalent of the crack dealer that gives you your first few rocks for free. Pretty soon you'll be "that crazy cat lady/guy". It's nearly impossible to give a kitten away.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Sarah is the pet equivalent of the crack dealer that gives you your first few rocks for free. Pretty soon you'll be "that crazy cat lady/guy". It's nearly impossible to give a kitten away.
Shhhh, Harley! Don't tell them that!!!

My local shelter adopted out a record 203 animals today! Very proud day for a community that at one time only had a 30% placement rate!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiringAt55 View Post
We lost one of our two dogs last week to cancer. She was such a great dog and making the decision to end her suffering was very difficult. That is the price you pay for the pleasure of owning a dog.

DH and I decided that after our 3-yr old sheltie is gone, we will not get another dog for awhile. It does limit your ability to travel. At least the sheltie is under 20 lbs and could travel with us camping.

I have to admit that going on vacation and being free of the daily dog routine is a nice break though.

I think that I might consider getting another dog if I am living alone widowed someday. It would be nice having someone to talk to instead of just talking to myself!
I am so sorry for your loss. It is always a wrenching decision - I have been there several times, and it never gets easier. I do believe it is the final gift we can give our furry companions, to say goodbye to them and give them peace. Sending hugs.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #47

Quote:

I am already in trouble. Sarah's link led me to nearby adoption sites ..... I forced myself off before doing real damage ! I may need to permanently block those sites - I can absolutely see myself as the crazy cat lady !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Shhhh, Harley! Don't tell them that!!!

My local shelter adopted out a record 203 animals today! Very proud day for a community that at one time only had a 30% placement rate!
AWESOME! Congrats

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I saw this in a store when I was on vacation. Made me laugh and laugh. I almost bought it for the amusement factor, but didn't...

Amazon.com: Accoutrements Crazy Cat Lady Action Figure: Accou 11377: Toys & Games

: laugh:
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #50

Ohhhhh Myyyy!!!! The Crazy Cat Lady...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I had ALWAYS had a pet or 3 since I was born. 2 years ago both my dogs died within a few months of each other, one of whom was way too young and his death was very unexpected. I was able to travel without worry and although I loved and missed my dogs terribly it was great in a way. However, last summer I started really missing having a dog and went looking for another. This time a got a tiny little dog, and now when I travel he just goes under the seat in front of me. It does limit me somewhat, and adds to the costs but so glad to have a dog back in my life.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #52

Yeah, I guess we all react differently to the loss of a pet. In my case, my dog was literally my best friend, and his death hit me harder than the death of any human being ever has, including my mother and father. It made me realize how important a relationship between a man and his dog can be. It reoriented me spiritually in ways I feel are too personal to get into here. It inspired me to fight for animal welfare causes, and it convinced me I never wanted to be without a dog in my life. His life and death changed my life in some major ways. God bless him, and I hope to see him again someday.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
. God bless him, and I hope to see him again someday.
I believe in Heaven, and I believe that heaven wouldn't be heaven without animals, so I know we'll see them someday.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #54

If my dogs are not in Heaven, I don't want to be there either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog-heaven.jpg (240.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
If my dogs are not in Heaven, I don't want to be there either.
All dogs go to heaven.

Proof here : snopes.com: All Dogs Go to Heaven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogs.jpg (226.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

In 2010 I had to put down both my cat and dog about 5 months a part. I decided not to get any more pets. Well to make a long story short it wasn't long before I had two cats and 11 Betta fish.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
All dogs go to heaven.

Proof here :
I love it ! Thanks for posting that

Old 06-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
In 2010 I had to put down both my cat and dog about 5 months a part. I decided not to get any more pets. Well to make a long story short it wasn't long before I had two cats and 11 Betta fish.
My 4 year old Betta fish passed away last week. I actually miss him. I called him 'my dog with fins'. I'm keeping his tank primed for the next inhabitant but I'm waiting until we move before I bring his replacement home.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #59

Quote:
I believe in Heaven, and I believe that heaven wouldn't be heaven without animals, so I know we'll see them someday.
Same here. As you say, it wouldn't be Heaven otherwise.

Sounds goofy, I suppose, but after my friend Boomer passed, I got about 20 "signs" of one kind or another that he was still around -- strange coincidences, things that were too weird to explain away, some very powerful and some minor. Also, I've spent a good deal of time studying the issue of life after death for animals, and I was surprised to find a decent amount of evidence for it, plus many rational arguments for it based on the nature of God. I'm convinced, based on the evidence and my experience, that it does happen.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #60

Quote:
My 4 year old Betta fish passed away last week. I actually miss him. I called him 'my dog with fins'. I'm keeping his tank primed for the next inhabitant but I'm waiting until we move before I bring his replacement home.
You've got a big heart if you were able to bond with a fish. I've never been able to do that, myself. I felt a little twinge when my betta fish died, but not much. I had a bird, too, who died recently, and although I felt more sad than I expected, I know I never bonded with her the way I bond with a dog. Just something different going on there. It might be the mammal-based limbic/attachment system we have in common. I can feel my dog's love for and attachment to me. I have never felt that with a fish or a bird. But good on you, that you can feel that connection. I think that's a nice thing.