Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #61

Oh wow, we have a 10 year old Pleco named Rufus all alone in a 50 gallon tank. He's an interesting fellow and I hope he sticks around a long time. But once he does go, I think we are done with the fish for a while. The little ones are just not that durable. He's about a foot long though!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
. I have never felt that with a fish or a bird. But good on you, that you can feel that connection. I think that's a nice thing.
I have a budgie also. I call him "little buddy". Definitely bonded. So much so that when I go away he gets very sick and listless. I thought I was going to lose him once. Now I have DH play a vid I made of me talking to him. He runs it over and over for about 20 minutes a day. Seems to do the trick !

My betta was in the kitchen and he would 'wag his tail' when he saw me (ie: he would get excited hoping for food !). I had made him a little cave in pottery class that he would rest in. He came "running" out of his cave when he saw me. Was it a "bond" ? Perhaps. But he did make me laugh.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's sweet. You're clearly an animal lover, so you have my respect.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Believe it or not all my fish have their own personality! They all live in at least a 5 gallon tank. My friends and family think I've gone over the deep end. But they are all different sizes shapes and colors. My cats show little to no interest in them.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #65

My parents got me a dog when I was 4 years old and he lived until I was 18. Since then I have had about 6 cats usually 2 at a time. Now, however, I live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've had fleeting thoughts, but when it comes to pets they really keep me going. When I am at my worst I know that I have to get up and feed my pets and make sure they are happy and healthy. I think if I were to ever become incredibly unhealthy that I couldn't do this that I would decide I was done, but until then I am happy to have animals in my life.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post

My betta was in the kitchen and he would 'wag his tail' when he saw me (ie: he would get excited hoping for food !). I had made him a little cave in pottery class that he would rest in. He came "running" out of his cave when he saw me. Was it a "bond" ? Perhaps. But he did make me laugh.
Okay, I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the tail wag of a betta. Mine comes running over (well, swimming) when I enter the kitchen. I think he actually enjoys our time together.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat View Post

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the tail wag of a betta. Mine comes running over (well, swimming) when I enter the kitchen. I think he actually enjoys our time together.
Alas, the Hermit Crabs are not quite as emotionally fulfilling bit I do find them interesting. The will not be replaced once they live their lives out. While they are very low maintenance and could survive for a week without care the don't give the same "warm fuzzies" as the dog, the budgie, or (dare I say it), the Betta.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote