Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We have always had 1 or 2 dogs and a cat, but now just 1 dog, and he is our best dog ever. We have agreed he is our last pet, but we will see.
My father and stepmother said the same thing many years ago when their elderly Siamese cat passed away. As I recall, the pet free period lasted six months, and they went on to have two more cats and one more dog between them! Best laid plans.......and then a furry face presents itself.......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've always had pairs of dogs. I believe dogs are pack animals, they really aren't meant to be solitary. A human companion will do, but most humans can't provide constant companionship, so another dog is ideal. Our pairs all got along famously with each other, and if anything they're even more entertaining in pairs (or more). FWIW...
Yeah, I believe that I'm cheating my dog out of some fun she might have, if she had a companion, for the sake of my own comfort/convenience. Maybe when I'm ER, I'll have more time to take care of a second dog. At this point, it would be a little too much. I'm a bit concerned with how she would adjust to a new dog in the house, but I'm sure I could help her make the adjustment eventually, and in the end, it would probably be nice for her (and for me) to have another doggie. I do love 'em.

Can't imagine life without a dog.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #23

I have two Jack Russell Terriers, both 13 1/2 yrs old. DW plans to retire in a year or two. The dogs will probably be gone in the next 1-3 yrs. We haven't taken a vacation together for about 4 yrs now due to dog care issues. We plan to take a break after these two are gone. We haven't been without dogs for almost 30 yrs. It will be a mixed blessing. I see one more dog in my future . . . sometime.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

Do you ever envision a time when you won't have any pets?
After raising a family and having assorted pets over the years, we've chosen to be pet-free in this stage of our retirement. When we visit the grandkids, we visit their pets too and that's enough pet contact for now.

Leaving the house without a thought as to whether Fluffy or Fido will be OK, or arranging for boarding or sitters, is a real pleasure.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I adore our two kitties, and I am so glad to have them. DH and I have agreed to a "pet free" period after they pass on, to try out the whole "no hassle, no pet hair, no litter box" lifestyle for a while.

I have a feeling that our pet free years will be temporary, but they do have a certain appeal.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Life sure would be easier, but I'm not sure if I'd like it 365 days a year. They're my babies, but boy are they loads of work, not to mention the $$$.

Anyone else had these evil, petless thoughts?
I lost my old dog about 6 or 7 years ago, and I was so sad. I had always had dogs, except for a period of about 15 years at school and before I got married.

I didn't get another dog, and I never will, for all the reasons that you have mentioned and plenty more. I loved and love my family a lot more than I loved any of the dogs, but I wouldn't start another family either.

Life should have its seasons.

Ha
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #27

I never grew up with any pets, had my first cat at the age of 25...never go back to being pet less again! We have two cats right now and they are just awesome! DH and I have talked about adopting another cat or a dog, but that would be too much! I think when they go, we will adopt a whole litter of 4-5 kittens and raise them!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I will always have dogs. It isn't home without them. If I could not have them in a nursing home, I would not be going.
As a kid growing up I was never allowed the pleasure of a dog. I have since made up for that loss. I am like Brewer. I cannot imagine my life without my dog. They represent the best qualities the human race has to offer...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I planned to work my way to pet free status. I had 2 same age although not litter mates. When one died at 14 I planned to make the survivor an only cat. I could not do it. He was so lonely and kept searching for another cat. I honestly do not think he was looking for his companion specifically but was convinced there was another cat somewhere. This went on for months until I got him a companion and stopped immediately after. Unfortunately she is much younger 7 to his 18 so I am afraid of it happening again. ( I wanted to bring in an older cat but it did not work out -long story)
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #30

I'm sort of in the middle, DW has no interest in having a dog or cat although she likes them - in someone else's house. I grew up with dogs, cats, birds, gerbils, hamsters, and a rooster for a while.

After my divorce I didn't get another dog because although I had a fenced-in yard I worked 10-hour rotating shifts and it would have been cruel to leave them outside in weather extremes and not realistic to expect them to "hold it" for 11+ hours.

The house we're in now does not have a fenced-in yard although that is an option, but since DW doesn't really want one and we also want the freedom to go away for a day or three at a time I don't see us having another anytime soon.

But if things change I sure could stand to have another dog. When I leave my job in a couple of weeks I'm thinking of volunteering at an animal shelter and I suppose a hazard is being smitten by a pair of big brown eyes and bringing one home. DW is concerned that is just what will happen.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I will always have dogs. It isn't home without them. If I could not have them in a nursing home, I would not be going.
I'm the same way. But one is enough for me.

My dog is just good company when sitting around the house. And a great motivator in getting me out everyday to get my exercise. I take him everywhere I can. He loves riding in the backseat with the wind blowing on him. I admit, it is a hassle when taking trips. Hate that I have to board him, but some trips would be more of a hassle in taking him along.

Certainly pros and cons in owning pets. More pluses for me.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. The only part of our upcoming trip that I'm sad about is that we'll miss our animals. But I do have an old dog who wakes me at 6 every day, and I won't miss that!

They are a lot of work and $ for sure, and do require organizing care when we are away, but I don't consider it a huge burden.

Right now we have 5 dogs and 5 cats. I don't expect we'll always have so many, but I have a few foster failures among the mammal clan, I must admit!

I have never been without pets. Ever. In fact, I can't remember when I only had one.

If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, I heartily recommend a pair of cats, raised together. Nothing more entertaining for less outlay of cash and energy.

No, I see us as always having pets, even if it is fewer than we have now. You need someone to come home to, who is always glad to see you. I cannot imagine coming home to an empty house. Ever.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When we recently decided to become snowbirds we had to buy a house in FL because nobody would rent to us with 4 dogs (2 pugs, 2 chi's). I don't blame them. even though ours are pretty harmless. But it's worth it for the joy they bring to our lives.

We've considered not reloading when these girls are gone, since it would free us up for traveling and such, although with the youngest chi only being 2-3 (not sure) it could be another 15 years or so. But I suspect we'll always have dogs. They make us smile and laugh every day, and that's pretty much priceless.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
We are down to one dog (13 or 14 years old) and two newts. The newts are totally DH's responsibility, though one of them was his birthday present to me many years ago. He is such a romantic.

We have had as many as five cats and two dogs at the same time..when our children were young. We swore we would not get another cat until we moved. We have had some bad luck with cats marking territory on the carpet, even after being spayed/neutered, whatever. We were out at the animal shelter the other day, just "looking" so I think we maybe getting close to getting another cat.... They are just too cool. For $50, you can adopt a cat with its shots, spayed/neutered, leukemia test, de-fleaed with Capstar and microchipped.

I think we will always have pets despite the hassle when you want to travel (or sell your house). Although, whenever we lose one, i swear that's IT...never again. That may be why we are "looking" at the cats, because our wonderful dog is slowing down so and it worries us.

Check to see if that shelter group has any kind of problems.... we adopted last Dec and the cat had fleas and worms... even though they said they gave them whatever it is... we have had a time with this cat with both... the worms seem to reappear every month or so... so far we have not seen any in our other cat, but who knows how long that will last...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To answer the OP's question, I have made the choice not to have pets. No time to take care of pets. I also travel too much here and abroad and therefore would not have enough time to devote to them.
I have made the same choice for the same reason.

But, I do long for a dog. Some day, when I am done with travel, I hope to have one in my life again.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I have had a lot of pets in the past. I have had the usual dogs and cats, and for about 20 years I had four macaws, about a dozen breeding parakeets, nearly a thousand gallons of salt water aquaria, a snake, and more. But now I have no pets.

From what I understand, vet bills are sky high these days. Other than the cost, I just don't feel up to the responsibility of caring for a pet and I don't want to put in the effort that it takes to care for one properly. Living in New Orleans, I would have to take them with me on hurricane evacuations; what a pain. And lastly, I don't relish the sadness and tears that come when a pet dies.

I do miss having a pet and have occasionally thought about just stopping by a pet store and playing with the puppies. However, that probably isn't a good idea because I might end up taking a puppy home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

W2R, I would really recommend fostering for a reputable rescue group, especially one with kittens. Our local shelter provides literally everything you need, and you have a finite period you have to foster (usually 3 weeks) and then you take them back to the shelter for adoption. There are hundreds of kittens in our area in foster homes like that.

You'd love it, and you'd not have to worry that they'd be a burden! Nothing better than kittens!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #38

This thread is relate to the travel budget thread for me. My travel budget is low ($4k annually) because I hate being away from my home and my dog. I'd rather have the companionship and love of a dog every day vs a few weeks of travel. I know this because after my last dog went to doggy-heaven my heart was "empty". It was only two weeks before I adopted another.

Sarah - kitten fostering sounds like FUN ! I may look into that myself !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

We lost one of our two dogs last week to cancer. She was such a great dog and making the decision to end her suffering was very difficult. That is the price you pay for the pleasure of owning a dog.

DH and I decided that after our 3-yr old sheltie is gone, we will not get another dog for awhile. It does limit your ability to travel. At least the sheltie is under 20 lbs and could travel with us camping.

I have to admit that going on vacation and being free of the daily dog routine is a nice break though.

I think that I might consider getting another dog if I am living alone widowed someday. It would be nice having someone to talk to instead of just talking to myself!
RetiringAt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #40

I'm defending my bastion of "no pets at home".
I might be over voted by the rest of the family, because Little Sailor is asking to have a low maintenance pet, he's going to catch or buy (turtle or lizard) and take care of it using his own money.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote