Phases In Retired Life

My entire life so far (still working) has been phases, some have been woodworking, golf, tennis, marathon running, etc. I realize that the transition from the work world to the retired world is probably unique, but otherwise I certainly hope/expect phases to continue throughout life including during retirement. Sounds very healthy to me. My parents seem to be completely stuck in a rut, and it doesn't look like much fun. YMMV

Very good topic Audrey ( you have a great knack for coming up with good ones!) It sure made me think of where we are in the ER process. Both DW and myself completely changed from our prior work phases to retire in a rural area of the Pacific Northwest and start a little (mostly hobby) goat ranch. Now, after 7 years of very enjoyable life I find myself starting to feel a need for a next step on this wonderful ER adventure away from the rural lifestyle. My DW however is very satisfied with our current setup and she would be very happy to continue as we are indefinitely.

I don't quite know how to reconcile when both partners are not quite on the same page as to how to evolve the ER adventure but I sure will be working on it! suggestions welcome

My entire life so far (still working) has been phases, some have been woodworking, golf, tennis, marathon running, etc. I realize that the transition from the work world to the retired world is probably unique, but otherwise I certainly hope/expect phases to continue throughout life including during retirement. Sounds very healthy to me. My parents seem to be completely stuck in a rut, and it doesn't look like much fun. YMMV
Your parent's situation must be somewhat discouraging for someone contemplating their own retirement/semi-retirement options.

I think some people get stuck in a rut, and some people choose not to - translates to working life as well as retired life. Certainly the folks who come to this board are the kind who choose to actively shape their future life.

Audrey

Your parent's situation must be somewhat discouraging for someone contemplating their own retirement/semi-retirement options.
It's sad, but hopefully it will lead me to do otherwise...

In 1974, Willie Nelson said it best:

(Phases and stages circles and cycles and scenes that we've all seen before. Let me tell you some more)

People are saying that time will take care of people like me
That I'm livin' too fast and they say I can't last too much longer
But little they see that their thoughts of me is my saviour
And little they know that the beat oughta go just a little faster
So pick up the tempo just a little and take it on home
The singer ain't singin' and the drummer's been draggin' too long
Time will take care of itself so just leave time alone
And pick up the tempo just a little and take it on home

Well I'm wild and I'm mean and I'm creatin' a scene I'm goin' crazy
Well I'm good and I'm bad and I'm happy and I'm sad and I'm lazy
I'm quiet and I'm loud and I'm gatherin' a crowd and I like gravy
About half off the wall but I learned it all in the Navy
So pick up the tempo...

(Phases and stages circles and cycles and scenes that we've all seen before. Let me tell you some more)​

Good thread! We have been doing a lot of thinking about what we want to do, especially after the kids are gone in about 6 years. We have been rethinking the buy smaller house and settle in ideas and contemplating full-time RVing or buying a condo and doing a lot of travel, or both. Sometimes your options are overwhelming. I mean Moving abroad, all kinds of alternative living arrangements (renting, condos, RVs, boats, living abroad, etc.) and so many thing we want to do. Hearing others ideas, plans and stories is most helpful.

When we first retired I also felt like I had this overwhelming number of choices. But it didn't take that long before some floated to the top as "definitely do as soon as possible" and others we might get to eventually but didn't feel that urgent.

Basically - prioritizing. Then you really only need to focus on the top 3-5 and can let the rest go. You'll either get around to them eventually, or not!

Oh, and that list? - it keeps a-changin'.

Audrey

Martha, he is adorable. I hope that you still get to see him. I spent a great deal of time taking care of my now 18 mos granddaughter. It is so hard having her in CA, when we live in WV. She sang me a song on the phone today...da, da, da,da..it was so precious. I miss her dearly, but will hopefully be going to see her in Feb or March.

I'm reading this thread with interest as I have all of 9 days of ER done now. I didn't do much besides mess about with my computers as I'm trying to adjust without the formerly subsidized electronics. I'm trying to get walk in every day but the weather has been brutal some days. I'm getting plenty of sleep and that's good. It is an odd feeling since I know there's no end to this "vacation". Definetly in a transition phase and decompressing.

I'm reading this thread with interest as I have all of 9 days of ER done now. I didn't do much besides mess about with my computers as I'm trying to adjust without the formerly subsidized electronics. I'm trying to get walk in every day but the weather has been brutal some days. I'm getting plenty of sleep and that's good. It is an odd feeling since I know there's no end to this "vacation". Definetly in a transition phase and decompressing.

Isn't it wonderful? I especially love the odd feeling of knowing there's no end to this "vacation". Or, "Endless days of play!" as I think Goonie described it.

Sounds like you are adjusting to retirement really well. Glad to hear it. :)

Makes me wonder what mine will be like (July 1, 2010). I try and imagine during time off, but that knowledge I have to go back is always there. It takes me about half a week to decompress, then I spend the otehr half dreading the job. I know it will take a while to get used to it and lose that feeling that I have to do something, and many posts on here confirm that. Still, I can't wait to go through that. :D

Congrats!!

Do you think it's better to retire in winter or summer? If the weather is brutal, it might be difficult to get into a healthy routine. But this too will pass.

Do you think it's better to retire in winter or summer? If the weather is brutal, it might be difficult to get into a healthy routine. But this too will pass.
I don't think it matters much. I have to live thru winter regardless and need to get my habits figured out. In a way it is good because during these days of adjustment I don't feel like I'm wasting a nice day.

It was a bit more advantageous for me to go out at the end of the year so I did. Some people say they don't want to start retirement in winter but I didn't want to pile on too .many changes at once. Given the huge amount of work there was to walking out the door and the strangeness to the initial adjustment period, I'm glad I'm not changing anything else right now. It would have been really hard to be moving in this period like my boss did.

Yes, it is a delicious feeling knowing this doesn't end. :)

To parrot what others have said, "great topic!" This idea of phases really resonates with me (as did the idea of periodically reinventing myself), and I hadn't been looking at retirement from this angle. As I contemplate how things will be when I pull the plug this summer, I find myself getting a bit anxious. It helps to come at it with a less permanent perspective.

And this fits with my life experience so far. I tend to plan excessively, and rarely do things turn out the way I expect. So I should clearly take that fact into account as I enter one of the biggest transitions I'll ever make. I like the saying, "man plans, God laughs".

This idea of phases really resonates with me (as did the idea of periodically reinventing myself), and I hadn't been looking at retirement from this angle. As I contemplate how things will be when I pull the plug this summer, I find myself getting a bit anxious. It helps to come at it with a less permanent perspective.

And this fits with my life experience so far. I tend to plan excessively, and rarely do things turn out the way I expect. So I should clearly take that fact into account as I enter one of the biggest transitions I'll ever make. I like the saying, "man plans, God laughs".
The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one. DH and I look at is as that we periodically reinvent our lives. When we transitioned to being full-time RVers after 5 years retired we were extremely conscious of the reinvention part, so most of our choices were very deliberate.

Realizing that retirement in not some permanent scenario in terms of what you do all day, but rather a fluid lifestyle where most of the choices are in your control, is pretty important. I think sometimes people feel anxious about retiring because they're afraid of getting bored or getting stuck somehow. Whereas if you try something and it doesn't ring your bell, then do something else! You can't figure this out ahead of time, so you have to be willing to experiment. There is no "end goal", so you have to focus on the process.

It may also be that we're used to someone else setting the priorities, establishing the daily schedule and so it's hard to imagine doing that yourself. And it does take more effort to control your own life, rather than having an organization call the shots.

Audrey

The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one. DH and I look at is as that we periodically reinvent our lives. When we transitioned to being full-time RVers after 5 years retired we were extremely conscious of the reinvention part, so most of our choices were very deliberate.

Realizing that retirement in not some permanent scenario in terms of what you do all day, but rather a fluid lifestyle where most of the choices are in your control, is pretty important. I think sometimes people feel anxious about retiring because they're afraid of getting bored or getting stuck somehow. Whereas if you try something and it doesn't ring your bell, then do something else! You can't figure this out ahead of time, so you have to be willing to experiment. There is no "end goal", so you have to focus on the process.

It may also be that we're used to someone else setting the priorities, establishing the daily schedule and so it's hard to imagine doing that yourself. And it does take more effort to control your own life, rather than having an organization call the shots.

Audrey

Fantastic! We are just starting to grasp this idea as retirement looms ahead. Five years ago, we assumed we would live in our present house forever. Now we are talking about living in other parts of the country, full-time RVing, extensive travel with a modest home base (condo, apartment), maybe even living overseas. And not as either this OR that, but rather this THEN that. We were thinking this before finding this site, but reading the threads here have definitely accelerated that learning curve.

We are beginning to not see retirement as an event, but a process. Something that can change, something we have had very little of in our lives up until now. It is a little scary and definitely exciting.

The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one.
Nah, we need to come up with a different phrase or I will think of work every time this discussion comes up. Reinventing does catch the concept pretty well but it is just so associated with re-engineering and all the other megacorp fads...:LOL:

Nah, we need to come up with a different phrase or I will think of work every time this discussion comes up. Reinventing does catch the concept pretty well but it is just so associated with re-engineering and all the other megacorp fads...:LOL:

It does sound like corporate marketing speak:ROFLMAO:

Watching with interest.....can't wait for the day about 5 years from now.

Dave

Re retiring in Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring.
For me it is working out great to retire in Spring.
Last days of March will be the end.
The Masters is the first full week in April.
North AR in May.
CO in July.
AK in August.
WV in October.
Taking care of business in the meantime.

I am still in the "newbie" stage of retirement at 3 months----somedays it still surprises me to realize that I am retired. I must say that the first 2.5 months were euphoria--especially that great feeling that would hit on Sunday night when I realized that I didn't need to do anything to get ready for an upcoming work week! At Christmas, I had some issues to deal with concerning my elderly mother, but hopefully that is resolving and I will again be able to realise that I am retired and enjoy the freedom to do what i want or do not much of anything. I haven't yet got into any of the projects that I thought I would, but I am okay with that, I figure that will come as I start to really realise that I am retired.

Still in phase I for us but settling in to a steady routine after about 2 years. For us it is a semi-ER routine but it mostly works the same way. DW's parttime work goes smoothly and mine is still getting tweaked but overall settling down. Finishing the last of the rehab on the retirement home. Still building up new friends in our new location.

Our 6th grader has also settled in pretty well. When she graduates high school I suspect it will usher in phase II for us. Whether that entails not working at all just depends on whether we are still satisfied with what we've chosen to do. All we know now is that we'd like to spend additional winter months in the FL Keys.

For me personally the toughest transition is dealing with a 51 yr old bod that just doesn't work like it did when I was 21. Staying as in-shape as I can while still accepting a slower pace. It's a real balancing act since I push a bit harder in play and work than something like just riding a bike.

For me personally the toughest transition is dealing with a 51 yr old bod that just doesn't work like it did when I was 21. Staying as in-shape as I can while still accepting a slower pace. It's a real balancing act since I push a bit harder in play and work than something like just riding a bike.
Boomeritis sucks.

Back
Top Bottom