Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
This idea of phases really resonates with me (as did the idea of periodically reinventing myself), and I hadn't been looking at retirement from this angle. As I contemplate how things will be when I pull the plug this summer, I find myself getting a bit anxious. It helps to come at it with a less permanent perspective.

And this fits with my life experience so far. I tend to plan excessively, and rarely do things turn out the way I expect. So I should clearly take that fact into account as I enter one of the biggest transitions I'll ever make. I like the saying, "man plans, God laughs".
The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one. DH and I look at is as that we periodically reinvent our lives. When we transitioned to being full-time RVers after 5 years retired we were extremely conscious of the reinvention part, so most of our choices were very deliberate.

Realizing that retirement in not some permanent scenario in terms of what you do all day, but rather a fluid lifestyle where most of the choices are in your control, is pretty important. I think sometimes people feel anxious about retiring because they're afraid of getting bored or getting stuck somehow. Whereas if you try something and it doesn't ring your bell, then do something else! You can't figure this out ahead of time, so you have to be willing to experiment. There is no "end goal", so you have to focus on the process.

It may also be that we're used to someone else setting the priorities, establishing the daily schedule and so it's hard to imagine doing that yourself. And it does take more effort to control your own life, rather than having an organization call the shots.

Audrey
__________________

__________________
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
flyfishnevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smith
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one. DH and I look at is as that we periodically reinvent our lives. When we transitioned to being full-time RVers after 5 years retired we were extremely conscious of the reinvention part, so most of our choices were very deliberate.

Realizing that retirement in not some permanent scenario in terms of what you do all day, but rather a fluid lifestyle where most of the choices are in your control, is pretty important. I think sometimes people feel anxious about retiring because they're afraid of getting bored or getting stuck somehow. Whereas if you try something and it doesn't ring your bell, then do something else! You can't figure this out ahead of time, so you have to be willing to experiment. There is no "end goal", so you have to focus on the process.

It may also be that we're used to someone else setting the priorities, establishing the daily schedule and so it's hard to imagine doing that yourself. And it does take more effort to control your own life, rather than having an organization call the shots.

Audrey
Fantastic! We are just starting to grasp this idea as retirement looms ahead. Five years ago, we assumed we would live in our present house forever. Now we are talking about living in other parts of the country, full-time RVing, extensive travel with a modest home base (condo, apartment), maybe even living overseas. And not as either this OR that, but rather this THEN that. We were thinking this before finding this site, but reading the threads here have definitely accelerated that learning curve.

We are beginning to not see retirement as an event, but a process. Something that can change, something we have had very little of in our lives up until now. It is a little scary and definitely exciting.
__________________

__________________
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The phrase "periodically reinventing myself" is really a good one.
Nah, we need to come up with a different phrase or I will think of work every time this discussion comes up. Reinventing does catch the concept pretty well but it is just so associated with re-engineering and all the other megacorp fads...
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
flyfishnevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smith
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nah, we need to come up with a different phrase or I will think of work every time this discussion comes up. Reinventing does catch the concept pretty well but it is just so associated with re-engineering and all the other megacorp fads...
It does sound like corporate marketing speak
__________________
flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finance Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,046
Watching with interest.....can't wait for the day about 5 years from now.

Dave
__________________
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 154
Re retiring in Summer, Fall, Winter or Spring.
For me it is working out great to retire in Spring.
Last days of March will be the end.
The Masters is the first full week in April.
North AR in May.
CO in July.
AK in August.
WV in October.
Taking care of business in the meantime.
__________________
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 265
I am still in the "newbie" stage of retirement at 3 months----somedays it still surprises me to realize that I am retired. I must say that the first 2.5 months were euphoria--especially that great feeling that would hit on Sunday night when I realized that I didn't need to do anything to get ready for an upcoming work week! At Christmas, I had some issues to deal with concerning my elderly mother, but hopefully that is resolving and I will again be able to realise that I am retired and enjoy the freedom to do what i want or do not much of anything. I haven't yet got into any of the projects that I thought I would, but I am okay with that, I figure that will come as I start to really realise that I am retired.
__________________
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.
TargaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 588
Still in phase I for us but settling in to a steady routine after about 2 years. For us it is a semi-ER routine but it mostly works the same way. DW's parttime work goes smoothly and mine is still getting tweaked but overall settling down. Finishing the last of the rehab on the retirement home. Still building up new friends in our new location.

Our 6th grader has also settled in pretty well. When she graduates high school I suspect it will usher in phase II for us. Whether that entails not working at all just depends on whether we are still satisfied with what we've chosen to do. All we know now is that we'd like to spend additional winter months in the FL Keys.

For me personally the toughest transition is dealing with a 51 yr old bod that just doesn't work like it did when I was 21. Staying as in-shape as I can while still accepting a slower pace. It's a real balancing act since I push a bit harder in play and work than something like just riding a bike.
__________________
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
For me personally the toughest transition is dealing with a 51 yr old bod that just doesn't work like it did when I was 21. Staying as in-shape as I can while still accepting a slower pace. It's a real balancing act since I push a bit harder in play and work than something like just riding a bike.
Boomeritis sucks.
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phases/Focus to go through before this stock downturn is over dex FIRE and Money 13 10-15-2008 11:05 PM
Retired - Finding a Purpose for your life Danny Life after FIRE 38 06-10-2008 01:18 PM
Retired at 53 and free to explore life Free To Canoe Hi, I am... 13 05-14-2008 03:14 PM
On The Road Again # - Mt. Belford - Thinking about phases of RE dex Life after FIRE 5 07-15-2007 11:25 AM
FIRE in 2 Phases tryan FIRE and Money 7 04-27-2005 06:58 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.