Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Put the file on youtube then place a link to it here.
But of course.

This video (one picked at random) was produced to be seen with regular viewers (Windows Media Player, for instance). Be sure to watch it at full screen. (The music is the car's radio and the voice is the GPS unit.) DOD, also, has their own proprietary viewer in which you can speed it up, slow it down, run it backwards, capture individual frames and a bunch of other nifty stuff including watching the trip on Google Maps.

Here is a still extracted with Photoshop (I didn't do any processing so it would look sharper/better with little work). And also a screen shot of the DOD proprietary program -- this is on a dual monitor system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip from DOD Video.jpg (501.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot of DOD Video.jpg (255.2 KB, 11 views)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are people using for printers?

I haven't printed anything and really have no plans to.

But I do need a printer for other reasons and I noticed in the reviews that some printers are better at text and others are at photos/graphics (though these may not always be the same).

Was looking to get the cheapest but the range goes up, if you want bigger prints.

Kind of leaning towards the Pixma MX922 or Epson Expressions XP-810.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #243

Dash cam video looks like it has a very rock-solid mount.

But it doesn't focus continuously nor change the exposure?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Dash cam video looks like it has a very rock-solid mount.
Yeah, it is mounted on the windshield behind (kinda) the rearview mirror.

Quote:
But it doesn't focus continuously nor change the exposure?
I am unsure what you mean. Each frame seems in focus to me -- well, when you stop the video or the car isn't moving. Otherwise, yeah, things do go by in a blur.

Exposure? Hmmm. This was a short minute and a half piece where the lighting never really changed. I don't have any late day/night shots that can be quickly processed but believe me, the camera has no exposure issues. Actually, their website has a really good promotional video... or was it the dashcamcamerareviews.com website?
Photographer's Corner - equipment
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

This video (one picked at random) was produced to be seen with regular viewers (Windows Media Player, for instance). Be sure to watch it at full screen. (The music is the car's radio and the voice is the GPS unit.) DOD, also, has their own proprietary viewer in which you can speed it up, slow it down, run it backwards, capture individual frames and a bunch of other nifty stuff including watching the trip on Google Maps.

The video looks really good. I usually mount a small point and shoot camera on my dashboards capture a scenic drive, but the video looks awfully shaky when the car is moving at cruising speed. I don't know if this is due to the camera, mount, car suspension, or the state of our roadways.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
The video looks really good. I usually mount a small point and shoot camera on my dashboard, but the video looks awfully shaky when the car is moving at cruising speed. I don't know if this is due to the camera, mount, car suspension, or the state of our roadways.
Hmmmm. I don't know. Maybe the camera and the mount.

Mounted on the window is pretty solid. We have gone over some pretty rough roads and haven't noticed it in the videos. (Of course, since the camera runs all the time, I don't really watch much since the "newness" wore off. In fact, it now consists only of checking the time when I see something worth going back to look at and then later finding that segment.

Point and Shoot cameras are not really designed for video even though they do a somewhat decent job of it. (I guess that goes for cell phones, too.)
Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #247

Thought some of the highlights were a bit blown out. Could be nice to tweak it. As you change directions, the position of the sun changes.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Pentax film SLR for many years. Still have it.
Started going digital with P&S in the early 2000's. Finally moved to a Nikon DSLR in 2008.
Got tired of the size of the DSLR. Bought a Sony NEX-6 mirrorless and am pretty happy with the dramatically smaller size and weight, and better quality than my Nikon DSLR.

Some mirrorless advantages are size, lens adapability from almost any make (but no auto exposure or focus), Optical viewfinder to see histogram, effects of exposure, not take eye from viewfinder, etc, and the ultra fast 10fps shooting rate (great for action).

Disadvantages of the mirrorless are smaller lens selection (but I don't buy a lot of them so not really an issue), and shorter battery life.

I use an older netbook on vacations to back up pictures. A tablet doesn't have a lot of cheap storage so I find the netbook better - it's a real computer, 640GB drive, and cheap enough that if it were stolen it wouldn't be that big a disaster.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Just an aside, while we are on the subject of Video:

For those who don't have access to the any of the newer versions of Photoshop (or any version of Premier Pro):

Best free video editing software: download these DSLR movie editors today | Digital Camera World
Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #250

Quote:

I haven't printed anything and really have no plans to.

But I do need a printer for other reasons and I noticed in the reviews that some printers are better at text and others are at photos/graphics (though these may not always be the same).

Was looking to get the cheapest but the range goes up, if you want bigger prints.

Kind of leaning towards the Pixma MX922 or Epson Expressions XP-810.

I have an older Epson 2200. It was replaced by the 3000, I think. Does a professional job, 13" wide I think and has a roll paper attachment. I think it can do a 13 x 5? print, but can't remember exactly. Fifty some inches is bigger than I've ever needed. Uses 7 ink cartridges.

Get the best you think you will ever want, and take care of it. It will last.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #251
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Disadvantages of the mirrorless are smaller lens selection (but I don't buy a lot of them so not really an issue), and shorter battery life.
Native mount lens selection varies by mount. Sony has the fewest. Micro four thirds (m43) has enough to satisfy most people except those who want high quality f2.8 zooms (some are available, more have been announced). Here are the currently available focal lengths (in FF equivalent):
Primes 16, 24, 28, 30, 34 (2), 35, 38, 40 (2), 50 (4), 60, 85 (2), 90, 120, 150, 600
Macro 90, 120
Wide Zoom 14-28, 18-36
Tele Zoom 70-200, 80-150, 90-150, 90-350, 90-400, 150-600, 200-600
Std Zooms ~24/28 to ~84/100 (many), 28-280, 28-300 (2)

Four thirds (4/3) lenses with adapters work with auto exposure and auto focus on m43 cameras. Olympus didn't sell many 4/3 cameras so few know about their pro quality glass.

Finally the video only camera makers and video optimized lens makers embraced m43. Everything is manual focus. About 20 prime lenses with FL between 15 and 100mm.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

"Want a printer" is such a broad category as to be unanswerable without more specific detail.

I use a 7-year old Canon iP6700D that cost about $50 as my primary printer -- it goes through a case of paper ever six weeks or so. (We also have three Canon "All-In-Ones.") This printer, actually, does a fairly decent job of printing photographic images although I rarely (maybe twice in the past year) do that.

I do, however, have an Epson SP3880 (Epson Professional 17 inch Compact Desktop Printer | Epson Stylus Pro 3880) that last year ate about $1,100 worth of photo paper.

Anyway, today only, Amazon has a pretty good deal on a Canon 3-in-1. Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MX472 Wireless All-In-One Inkjet Printer: Electronics

I am also intrigued by the new Canon printers that have NFC technology -- that is what allows two smart phones to transfer data by simply putting the backs of the phones together.

Anyway, too big a subject for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #253
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Native mount lens selection varies by mount. Sony has the fewest. Micro four thirds (m43) has enough to satisfy most people except those who want high quality f2.8 zooms (some are available, more have been announced). Here are the currently available focal lengths (in FF equivalent):
Primes 16, 24, 28, 30, 34 (2), 35, 38, 40 (2), 50 (4), 60, 85 (2), 90, 120, 150, 600
Macro 90, 120
Wide Zoom 14-28, 18-36
Tele Zoom 70-200, 80-150, 90-150, 90-350, 90-400, 150-600, 200-600
Std Zooms ~24/28 to ~84/100 (many), 28-280, 28-300 (2)

Four thirds (4/3) lenses with adapters work with auto exposure and auto focus on m43 cameras. Olympus didn't sell many 4/3 cameras so few know about their pro quality glass.

Finally the video only camera makers and video optimized lens makers embraced m43. Everything is manual focus. About 20 prime lenses with FL between 15 and 100mm.
One of the reasons I went with Sony is that I like doing astrophotography and wanted the better high ISO capabilities by sticking with an APS-C sensor, and the NEX series really isn't any bigger than the micro 4/3 cameras. But I really like the m4/3 cameras as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #254

Quote:
We have two, one is a Dell 1235cn color laser that we bought when DW was going to school and doing a LOT of printing school papers. Works fine for that and any routine correspondence although that is mostly E-mail now. Worthless for photos but it wasn't intended for that.

The other is a Canon Pixma Pro 100 for photos. Uses eight inks, does gallery-quality but is slow since it is an entry-level professional level photo printer. Max print size is 13x19 and all that did was make me want an Epson 3880 for 16x20 size prints. That will probably happen eventually.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #255

I have an HP photosmart, but I haven't printed to it in a year or 2. I have probably spent $200 in print cartridges for this thing and I refuse to buy any more. Whenever I need something printed, I go to my former office and print it there.

I get my larger photo prints ((8x10) (9x12) done at prolabexpress ProlabExpress and I get 5x7 at Walgreens
Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We have two, one is a Dell 1235cn color laser that we bought when DW was going to school and doing a LOT of printing school papers. Works fine for that and any routine correspondence although that is mostly E-mail now. Worthless for photos but it wasn't intended for that.

The other is a Canon Pixma Pro 100 for photos. Uses eight inks, does gallery-quality but is slow since it is an entry-level professional level photo printer. Max print size is 13x19 and all that did was make me want an Epson 3880 for 16x20 size prints. That will probably happen eventually.
There's a $300 rebate right now, making it $100:

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer 6228B002

Intrigued but I would probably utilize the scanner/copier more than printing higher-quality photos.

I initially want to play around with printing photos a bit. If I get serious, I'd have to calibrate and so on.

13X19 is just about big enough to frame. Legal probably wouldn't be big enough unless you're printing some kind of a pano.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Take advantage of all that the GoPro HERO has to offer: learn how to get unique, interesting angles for your shoots when working with a car in this tutorial.

How to Attach a Camera to a Car:

Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #258

Quote:
There's a $300 rebate right now, making it $100:

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer 6228B002
I guess they decided to extend the rebate, that's where I bought it last June and that's what I paid for it. We used the rebate for stuff we were going to buy anyway, mostly groceries.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Take advantage of all that the GoPro HERO has to offer: learn how to get unique, interesting angles for your shoots when working with a car in this tutorial.

How to Attach a Camera to a Car:

Thanks a lot for posting! Now I know how to run safety lines to an outside car mount.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #260

My first go pro video. Fun, but I have a long way to go.

Tags
hogan mirrorless