Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My first go pro video. Fun, but I have a long way to go.
Terrific! Now make it in a higher resolution. 360P is too small. Of course, it saves disk space but 1080P (or even 720P) is the way to go.

BTW, here is really good primer for videography:

Digital Photographer's Complete Guide to HD Video: Rob Sheppard, Michael Guncheon: 9781600596995: Amazon.com: Books

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm going to pick up a Brother J870DW MFC at Office Depot, where it is $50 off to $100 through today.

They also have an in-store $10 off $50 coupon on officedepot.com.

Gets good reviews overall for speed and value. Epson Expressions XP-810 gets good reviews for photo output but it's $130 and reportedly uses up ink more.

Seems like the Brother would be good for playing around with printing and scanning photos.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Terrific! Now make it in a higher resolution. 360P is too small. Of course, it saves disk space but 1080P (or even 720P) is the way to go.

BTW, here is really good primer for videography:

Digital Photographer's Complete Guide to HD Video: Rob Sheppard, Michael Guncheon: 9781600596995: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks for the link. This video was just a test. Thought I'd start small (like a tree frog) and make sure I could upload it ok. I did do a video of me riding around the block on my bike in 1080p. It's 557mb. I didn't upload that one to youtube.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar,

Mike Wendland, "A Journalist takes up the RV lifestyle" (Roadtreking | Discovering the Roadtrek Class B RV Lifestyle), uses his GoPro from the front seat of his Roadtrek. Here is a recent shoot in Glacier NP:

You can tell it was all taken hand-held. (I am not so sure about the driver holding the camera out the window on that narrow road.) and there was more than one photographer. So, obviously, there was a lot of editing.

However, I don't see any evidence of processing (I would have added greater exposure and tweaked the highlights and shadows as well as the "Presence" (clarity and vibrance) before publishing but that's just me.)

All in all though, this is what the GoPro is good at. At least, this is how we use ours... the driver, however, is never distracted by something as trivial as taking pictures -- might as well be Texting.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of hand-holding a GoPro, DW decided this was only possible with something like this: Amazon.com : GoPole Bobber Floating Hand Grip for GoPro HERO Cameras : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

She swears by it. (Of course, you need the "monitor" attached to the camera.)

Oh! Did I mention that the GoPro itself is fairly inexpensive... it is all the "necessary" options that bring the cost up considerably... something like the Ink Factor with printers.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #266

RonBoyd - thanks for the add'l info. I'm practicing for something similar to the Roadtreking video. I like the floating hand grip - you're right - I'm starting to see that the cost of the GoPro pales in comparison to all option - and yes all the options are necessary.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #267

Observed a young man the other day, had a GoPro on the end of of an extending pole, and was controlling the camera with his smart phone. He was getting some shots inside the cockpit of an old plane, which the normal,photographers could not see .. Just a thought for you.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #268

Do a google search on "camera paint pole mount" and you'll get a bunch of hits, this is but one of many: PolePixie.com Painter Pole Adapter and Camera Accessories

I'd buy one but I'm doubtful as to how much I'd actually use it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #269

I like the pole mount idea. I have a painter's pole and a surveyor's rod I can experiment with.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #270

Shot the hummingbirds this morning

Here's the setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.57.37 AM.jpg (394.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Shot the hummingbirds this morning

Oh! No! You ARE hooked. Your bank account will never be the same.

(great shot, BTW.)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Oh! No! You ARE hooked. Your bank account will never be the same.

(great shot, BTW.)
I am hooked. And the bank account is dwindling. Next purchase could be a dronehttps://store.dji.com/product/phantom-2
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #273

Yeah I'm thinking about drone.

Maybe next year they'll have more drone choices.

One thing to attach a Go Pro which will likely have better PQ than the one that comes with the Phantom. But if that drone crashes (there have been stories about drones getting stuck in trees or going down into hot springs at national parks, where they're prohibited), better to not lose the GoPro maybe.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #274

Drones are quickly becoming regulated because of perceived safety and privacy issues - might want to check recent laws in your area before coughing up the bucks.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to not be monitoring this too closely, we are "on the road" (tonight in Des Moines. Iowa on the way -- eventually -- to International Falls, Minnesota).

FWIW, everyone I know of (except those that use them professionally) have kinda left them sitting on the shelf. I don't know why but the "thrill" seems to wear off pretty quickly so I would give it a couple weeks before taking the plunge if it were me.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #276

imo, drones, when used as toys for personal entertainment, are annoying. One person enjoys their use, and the rest of the people in the area have to listen to the annoying drone.

I fully support use in safety, crime & other areas where there is a social good or they replace even noisier, more annoying aircraft.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #277

Far less noisy and less annoying than a neighbor cutting his lawn, using a chainsaw, the guy with the Harley, and a hundred other things we are required to tolerate. Don't really want one myself, though I wouldn't mind playing with one for an hour or so.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #278
Moderator Emeritus

I went hiking in the hills over Palo Alto a few months ago. I expected to have a quiet picnic at the top, but when I arrived a group of 3-4 engineers were flying a drone around the summit (hey, this is Silicon Valley after all!). I think it was this model. The drone even invited itself into one of my pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7890.jpg (601.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
imo, drones, when used as toys for personal entertainment, are annoying. One person enjoys their use, and the rest of the people in the area have to listen to the annoying drone.
+1

Went for an early morning walk around a lake the other day and had to listen to some dude flying a drone.

It didn't fly into my picture like with FIREd but still very loud despite how high it was.

Thanksfully they are banned from national parks.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #280

Finally got around to setting up my telescope and camera gear. Going to try for some moon pictures over the next few days. It's been about 20 years since I last used this setup. I'm waiting for some more attachment hardware that will let me do eyepiece projection photos so, right now, I'm limited to prime focus shots. The scope is a 3.5 inch Questar if I remember correctly it is about f15 camera is a Canon DSLR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Telescope.jpg (410.4 KB, 14 views)

Tags
hogan mirrorless