Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #321

If anyone is interested in getting a 16x20 canvas- here's a groupon http://touch.groupon.com/deals/canva...&fallback=true

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Any experience with these plugins?
Not with those, but I do use Onone's Perfect Effects and Portrait Professional. I like those, although Portrait Pro tends to overdo it a bit and I don't see it soon enough. So what I've come to do is put the Portrait Pro effects on a separate layer and then I can vary the opacity of the layer to control the totality of the effects.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Any experience with these plugins?
I am a OnOne Perfect Suite kinda guy. (Although I don't get out of Lightroom very often anymore.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #324
Moderator Emeritus

I have the NIK plug-ins and I use them all the time, mostly Color Efex, but also Silver Efex and HDR Efex. I think that they are great but a light touch is better (it's easy to get carried away and overdo it).
Old 10-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #325
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If you're looking to complement your micro 4/3 with even smaller kit, maybe micro 4/3 isn't as small and light as one would think.
When I first started shopping for an m43, a friend asked me how small they were. I said too big for front pocket, small enough that one won't think about leaving it home because it's too big and heavy.

P&S cameras and phones own the front pocket market. The smallest m43 body and kit lens tips the scales at 10.4 ounces (Panny GM1 with Oly 14-42 EZ), compared to 6.8 ounces for what was considered a premium point & shoot a few years ago (Canon S95). Both are 'always carry' cameras. The s95 fits in a front pants pocket because the lens collapses. The GM1 fits in some other pocket because the lens is collapsed in the photo. It's no contest as to which one is capable of delivering higher technical image quality.

m43 s90 gm1.PNG

m43 also comes in bodies and lens to serve pros moving to a smaller kit from APS and FF systems. The GM1 is now paired with the 31 oz Oly omd em1 and 12-40 f2.8 lens.

m43 big small.PNG

For you APS and FF shooters, go to Camera Size Comparison to compare the em1 & 12-40 to your equivalent.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

I am constantly amazed at the quality of the m4/3 system, both the equipment and the quality of the images produced. If my 12-40mm F/2.8 (24-80mm equiv in FF) lens was Full Frame, it would weigh much more and be much, much bigger. The speed of the lens is very valuable for me as I like to shoot in lower light situations such as early morning and the evening. However, if I don't need the speed, I can replace it with the 12-42mm variable aperture lens which is much lighter.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #327
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, Thom Hogan, recommends waiting about a month before buying any new equipment. He suspects that the drop in value of the Yen will give Japanese camera makers more price flexibility for their holiday season sales.

Wait a Month | byThom | Thom Hogan
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, Thom Hogan, recommends waiting about a month before buying any new equipment. He suspects that the drop in value of the Yen will give Japanese camera makers more price flexibility for their holiday season sales.
I have a Canon 7D Mark II preordered with delivery expected end of November. So maybe this will be one of those rare occasions when luck is on my side.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been looking at the Nikon D750, which they initially listed at $3600 with the 24-120 lens.

Or no discount for the bundle at all, the same price as if purchased separately.

Well they dropped it to $3000 now, just a couple of weeks after intro.

I can't wait until BF and after because I have a trip coming up in November.

Oh well.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #330

Well I've decided to look for a replacement for my canon 5d II. I looked at my old receipts and it turns out I bought in in june 2009 so it's over five years old. Noise when lifting shadows is starting to really annoy me and a resolution bump would be nice.

My choices so far:

(1) Nikon D810. Pros top IQ of any DSLR. Cons need to get a new set of lenses

(2) Sony A7r or A7ii. Pros lightest/smallest FF camera with very good IQ. Can mount any lens with an adapter (I could keep using my 24 t/s). Cons needs adapter or new lenses, loud shutter + vibration (no EFSC on A7r). Sucky battery life.

(3) Do nothing and wait. Perhaps canon will improve their sensors (not likely) or sony will improve some of their cons
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Well I've decided to look for a replacement for my canon 5d II.
If you are happy with your lenses and Canon in general, I suggest staying with Canon as it will be a lot cheaper. Also, you know the Canon way of operating a camera.

I say this as a person who had a traditional DSLR and lenses for it. But, I changed to the Olympus system because of its lighter weight and smaller size. IOW, I was no longer happy with my big heavy lenses attached to a big heavy body. Having f/2.8 and f/1.7 lenses that fit in the palm of my hand is very nice.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #332

D810 though isn't a high ISO camera.

As for the Sonys, they have the same sensor as the Nikons but they don't output in 14-bit? That was supposedly the case with the first generation of A7s.

Both companies are running sales on all their full frames, except for the newly released D750.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Well I've decided to look for a replacement for my canon 5d II.
(A very biased opinion): In forty years of (amateur) photography, I have never owned other than a Canon camera. My last Film camera was an A1 and I went digital with the D10.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 7D Mark II to replace my 7D (well, making it the 2nd camera). Yeah, I know it's a APS-C camera but I have just not been that sold on the advantage of 35mm sized sensors.

Anyway, you should really look at this camera (the 7D Mk II) before making a final decision. At least, all of your current Lenses would be compatible. I have a friend with a 1DX that, after looking at mine, is considering switching back to APS-C.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #334
Give me a forum ...

I've been really happy with the low noise performance of my Canon EOS6D full frame camera body. Shot quite a bit at ISO 4000 and even 8000 when in Europe (building interiors, flash not allowed) and was happy with the results. Not saying there is no noise in the shadows, but after processing it's not noticeable and the image looks great.

I'll never switch vendors either due to our lens investment.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #335
Give me a forum ...

At about 2:50 is an explanation of what Canon has done with the low-light "noise" issue:

Video: Hands-On Review of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II | explora
Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #336

Probably depends on the type of photography one does.

Landscapes, architecture and other static subjects, full frame for ultimate image quality. Also low-light performance.

Sports, birds, crop sensors for crop factor. Also lighter and smaller gear.

Maybe in 5-10 years or more, Nikon and Canon will be fully in the mirrorless game, including full frame.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...full frame for ultimate image quality.
This is a (very) lengthy treatise on sensor size (and I suggest you don't trudge through it all) but #4 will dispute your contention.

https://photographylife.com/sensor-c...nd-equivalence

Quote:
Maybe in 5-10 years or more, Nikon and Canon will be fully in the mirrorless game, including full frame.
Yeah, I have a EOS-M and play with it a little. The size and weight is definitely an issue but then so again is the lack of a viewfinder. ([the rumor is] Canon promises a new, improved version in the next month or so.)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If you are happy with your lenses and Canon in general, I suggest staying with Canon as it will be a lot cheaper. Also, you know the Canon way of operating a camera.
This is exactly the advice I give to others (to stick with your system) because I feel people too often focus on the camera and not their composition/lighting/creativity etc. I think one should be actively discouraged from switching because it's usually a distraction and the costs can be high. I have switched once before from Nikon D200 to Canon 5D to get the full frame when Nikon was lagging.

Quote:
I say this as a person who had a traditional DSLR and lenses for it. But, I changed to the Olympus system because of its lighter weight and smaller size. IOW, I was no longer happy with my big heavy lenses attached to a big heavy body. Having f/2.8 and f/1.7 lenses that fit in the palm of my hand is very nice.
Sony A7 offers the possibility of a much lighter kit which would be welcome.

Quote:
D810 though isn't a high ISO camera.

As for the Sonys, they have the same sensor as the Nikons but they don't output in 14-bit? That was supposedly the case with the first generation of A7s.
Yeah the sony uses some lossy 11 bit RAW files that can exhibit compression artifacts. I don't think it's much of a practical issue unless you do astrophotography/star trails (from the examples I've seen). But I do need to double check on this some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
A few weeks ago, I purchased a 7D Mark II to replace my 7D (well, making it the 2nd camera). Yeah, I know it's a APS-C camera but I have just not been that sold on the advantage of 35mm sized sensors.

Anyway, you should really look at this camera (the 7D Mk II) before making a final decision. At least, all of your current Lenses would be compatible. I have a friend with a 1DX that, after looking at mine, is considering switching back to APS-C.
The 7D gets very good reviews but it doesn't really have what I'm looking for (better DR/lower shadow noise at low ISO). My understanding is that the new 7D is more sports/action oriented and I don't do much of that (my action is limited to street scenes or perhaps people dancing). The AF on the 5d ii is pretty crappy but I've managed to live with that. Plus I can't go back to crop after years of full frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've been really happy with the low noise performance of my Canon EOS6D full frame camera body. Shot quite a bit at ISO 4000 and even 8000 when in Europe (building interiors, flash not allowed) and was happy with the results. Not saying there is no noise in the shadows, but after processing it's not noticeable and the image looks great.

I'll never switch vendors either due to our lens investment.
Canon 6D is a very good camera and if my 5d had broken a few months ago, I probably would have gotten it as a replacement (integrated GPS is also nice). I don't shoot much though at ISO's above 1600 and most of my pictures are at 200 or lower. Maybe about 1/2 of my shooting on a tripod.

Building interiors are definitely challenging and better performance at high ISO is helpful. Usually I some combinations of raising ISO, taking a series of shots with VR and selecting the best one, and/or using some kind of makeshift support (resting camera on a bag, gorilla pod, etc)

I really started thinking about a new camera after processing a bunch of images recently at low ISO but where the shadows needed to be lifted. Here the sony/nikon sensors really excel although I think canon may catch-up and surpass them at the higher ISOs.

I have about 5 lenses but my most used would be 24-105L, 24 TS, 70-300L. Of these I think the 24 TS doesn't have a really good equivalent in Nikon (or sony but at least I could use an adapter). Thank god for my wallet I never got into wildlife photography.

I've sold a lot of my old cameras/lenses on ebay. Usually I find the popular/pro lenses go for close to a new price at B&H (i've actually sold some for more than I paid) although other less in-demand lenses could go for as little as 50%.

Quote:
Probably depends on the type of photography one does.

Landscapes, architecture and other static subjects, full frame for ultimate image quality. Also low-light performance.

Sports, birds, crop sensors for crop factor. Also lighter and smaller gear.

I'd say about 1/2 of my photos fall into your first bucket (static), the other 1/2 are street scenes/people etc where AF is definitely helpful but the requirements are much lower than a sports DSLR.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

That's true, it's pretty easy to resell camera gear.

Oh, right, I was also in a "no tripods" situation - and nowhere to rest a camera when you pass through roped off rooms. So I needed really good handheld performance. My wide angle (17-40mm f/4) lens didn't have image stabilization either.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #340

Just got my Yongnuo TN560III speed light. It took me a while, but I finally got it working. Had the wrong triggering setting. The flash is great so far, but the manual leaves a lot to be desired

Tags
hogan mirrorless