Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 AM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out our new photo and video editing workstation. It's the new iMac with 27 inch 14.7 megapixel display, 5120 pixels across. Here we are comparing it to our previous editing platform, a MacBook pro retina with a 5.2 megapixel display, 2880 pixels across. Both images are shown at 100%.

We've been waiting a long time for the large screens to go "retina" - i.e. high res. Up until late last year you couldn't get a larger retina display than our 15.4" laptop screens.

The iMac has the computer built into the back of the display - so no separate computer "box".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (147.1 KB, 105 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #402
Give me a forum ...

Wow!

RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #403
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sweet setup. And nice macro image.

Since downsizing I've been editing mainly on a 15 rMBP and boy do I miss using a bigger monitor. Global adjustments are fine but spotting is a total pain. I'm also a mouse lefty (except for games when I'm a righty).

One question -- your retina iMac screen is a little cooler than the laptop. Is this difference real? and did you calibrate them?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #404
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
One question -- your retina iMac screen is a little cooler than the laptop. Is this difference real? and did you calibrate them?
They appear about the same in real life. It's the photo I took that's crappy - an iPhone at a poor viewing angle and side lighting from the windows. The big screen has truer color off axis. So it's an artifact. There was no way to take the shot full on. Supposedly the iMac comes calibrated. The laptop has been calibrated - but I don't remember how recently.

And the mouse is sitting on the left because it's been pushed out of the way. LOL! After 10 years not using a mouse we were hopeless and had to get the trackpad. Still trying to figure out where to place the trackpad - it wants to be center.

About the butterfly photo. That butterfly is about the size of my (small) thumbnail. Butterfly photography is one of DH's passions.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #405
Give me a forum ...

Canon reclaims resolution crown with 50-megapixel 5DS and 5DS R | Ars Technica

Quote:
For the longest time, Canon was the go-to choice for high-resolution crop sensor (APS-C, APS-H) and full-frame digital cameras. Once the company's cameras hit 20 megapixels, though (a few years ago now), the focus shifted towards higher quality pixels, better image signal processing, better autofocus, and other features that made more sense than just mindlessly adding mo' pixels. Eventually, Canon was overtaken by Nikon with the 36.3-megapixel D810, Nokia's 41-megapixel Lumia 1020, and others. Now, clearly, Canon wants to prove that it can be good at all those other bits and still dominate the resolution race.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #406
Give me a forum ...

Microsoft Unveils Image Composite Editor v2.0: Auto Completion and Video to Panorama

Quote:
Microsoft Research has announced version 2.0 of its Image Composite Editor (ICE) software, a free program that offers advanced panoramic photo stitching technology. If you’re on a Windows machine and need a way to combine multiple photos into single shots, ICE is a download you may want to look into.
Quote:
A new Automatic Image Completion feature is similar to Adobe’s Content Aware Fill, except Microsoft’s version is geared toward filling in the missing sections that are often found in stitched panoramas. This creates (albeit artificially) a nice clean look without having to crop your panorama and throw out details.
Quote:
There’s also a new video-to-panorama feature that lets you take frames from a video and stitch those together to create a motion panoramic image that shows a subject multiple times as they travel through the frame.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They appear about the same in real life. It's the photo I took that's crappy - an iPhone at a poor viewing angle and side lighting from the windows. The big screen has truer color off axis. So it's an artifact. There was no way to take the shot full on. Supposedly the iMac comes calibrated. The laptop has been calibrated - but I don't remember how recently.

And the mouse is sitting on the left because it's been pushed out of the way. LOL! After 10 years not using a mouse we were hopeless and had to get the trackpad. Still trying to figure out where to place the trackpad - it wants to be center.

About the butterfly photo. That butterfly is about the size of my (small) thumbnail. Butterfly photography is one of DH's passions.
Nice Mac, Audrey! And a great butterfly photo! What lens does your DH use for macro shots like the butterfly you posted?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #408

What a nice setup!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #409

Another question for Audrey (I think I remember a post saying that you used Lightroom), or for anyone else using Lightroom on multiple computers: How do you handle managing photos on multiple computers running Lightroom? I read online that Adobe recommends keeping the catalog (and I assume photo files) on an external drive, and access the external drive from multiple computers. Anyone doing this?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #410
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I read online that Adobe recommends keeping the catalog (and I assume photo files) on an external drive, and access the external drive from multiple computers. Anyone doing this?
That's exactly how I do it. I have a Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB Portable Hard Drive that I use. It goes with me "on the road" and at other times is on my desktop. As long as Lightroom knows where your catalog is, there is no problem. One of the problems with moving a HD between computers is that Windows like to re-letter the drives. It is simple to rename them but it is an irritant so thank goodness it doesn't happen often. You do need to have your image files on this same drive... or, at least, as portable. (Well, a small portfolio could use the Cloud, I suppose.)

Again, let me recommend this Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightroomhelpgroup/. Your question is quite popular <chuckle> and there is plenty of advice to go around.

An equally good source of LR information is Lightroom Forums if you are somehow Facebook adverse.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #411

Thanks for all of the info, Ron!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #412
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice Mac, Audrey! And a great butterfly photo! What lens does your DH use for macro shots like the butterfly you posted?
The Canon 180 macro, often with a doubler. He gets really close. It's a non IS lens, but he manages. He also shoots manual focus. He's been using that setup for almost 10 years now.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #413
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another question for Audrey (I think I remember a post saying that you used Lightroom), or for anyone else using Lightroom on multiple computers: How do you handle managing photos on multiple computers running Lightroom? I read online that Adobe recommends keeping the catalog (and I assume photo files) on an external drive, and access the external drive from multiple computers. Anyone doing this?
Yep - all my Lightroom catalogs and image files will be on an external drive now.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #414

Quote:
That's one reason I'm wary of moving from Aperture to Lightroom or even Aperture to the Photos app that Apple is coming out with.

I process the RAWs on my iMac but then create iCloud Photo Streams of some photos and share it with my Retina MacBook Pro and a Windows laptop.

Then I can run slideshows on the other computers but I generally just run them as screen saver.

The same photos look much sharper on on Retina MBP than the iMac, which is not the 5K one.

I don't think Lightroom would make it as easy to share across, though I believe they do have an iPad app. and you can set up some kind of sharing if you subscribe to Creative Cloud, which I have absolutely no interest in doing.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #415
Give me a forum ...

I'm jealous Audrey. I have a 21 inch screen running photos in screen saver in my kitchen. It is pretty nice but that Mac! I'm finally tempted to cross over.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #416
Give me a forum ...

I believe Apple is now testing the next version of the Mac OS. It is supposed to have the replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture. We will see if that is correct. However after seeing the poor support for Aperture, I will stick with Lightroom.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #417
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I don't think Lightroom would make it as easy to share across, though I believe they do have an iPad app. and you can set up some kind of sharing if you subscribe to Creative Cloud, which I have absolutely no interest in doing.
I am confused. Just exactly what would you be "sharing"? When you process an image in Lightroom, the image file is not changed in any way. What LR does is create a catalog of your instructions. This catalog (or file, if you will) would not be useful to any other program, therefore, there would be nothing to "share." Lightroom can, however, export the image as a JPEG (or whatever) file that can be shared in all the usual ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
if you subscribe to Creative Cloud, which I have absolutely no interest in doing.
An why is that?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #418

I'm looking at this pretty closely (still haven't chosen a replacement for my 5dii). But it's not clear to me if it improved on dynamic range.

The CPS employee in this video: Interview About the EOS 5Ds & EOS 5Ds R with Mike Burnhill « Canon Rumors
basically says contradictory statements: the "dynamic range is equivalent to the 5Diii" but "there is much lower noise floor therefore more ability to pull out detail in the shadows and highlights".

I guess I'll have to wait for sample RAWs and quantitative testing.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #419

Because I don't like Lightroom that much from what I've seen of it and secondly, if I switched, I would buy the program outright, not rent it indefinitely.

Don't believe in renting software.

Yeah I'm not sure what LR does for sharing photos across multiple computers and devices. Maybe they don't have a solution, though I thought I heard there were additional benefits for the LR app. for CC subscribers.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #420
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm jealous Audrey. I have a 21 inch screen running photos in screen saver in my kitchen. It is pretty nice but that Mac! I'm finally tempted to cross over.
The $2400 new iMac retina costs less than what we paid for our MacBook Pro retina laptops two years ago. Of course now 15.4" MacBook Pro retina laptops start at less than the cost of the new iMac with retina display, and quite a bit less than what we paid for them two and two and a half years ago. It's amazing how much the computers with retina displays have come down.

Tags
hogan mirrorless