Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't use Lightroom to share my photos, just to process them. Once the images are ready to "publish" they go to various locations and services.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #422

Thanks everyone for the Lightroom storage tips!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 02-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #423
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah I'm not sure what LR does for sharing photos across multiple computers and devices. Maybe they don't have a solution, though I thought I heard there were additional benefits for the LR app. for CC subscribers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't use Lightroom to share my photos, just to process them. Once the images are ready to "publish" they go to various locations and services.
Let me try again. I am unsure what is being meant by "Sharing" in this context.

"Sharing" to me, since Lightroom does not alter the original image, means placing a "finished" image in a location that other's (person or thing) can view (or use in some other manner).

Lightroom, actually, does this quite well and in many ways. Ways that are, to put it simply, much better (easier/simpler) than any other image software. These methods include:

.....The "Publish Services" that quickly & easily post your "finished" image to social media such as Facebook and Twitter or to Photo Specific websites such as Behance or Flickr.

....."Export" an image as a JPEG (or whatever) file.

.....A Google Map with embedded images.

.....A "Book" -- either printed or as a PDF file. (See below)

.....A "Slideshow."

.....Hard copies of your image in the "Print" module -- from Posters to Contact Sheets... etc.

.....As "Web" galleries.

Where have I gone wrong in my thinking?

In any event, Lightroom is simply an Organizing Program that is pretty fair at processing images.

How to Create a Simple Blurb Photo Book in Lightroom
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #424
Give me a forum ...

Oh, the pixel wars. One of the best photos I have ever taken was taken with a 6 megapixel point and shoot.

Still, I have to admire their marketing skills. Zillions of photographers with perfectly useful, high quality cameras, will now suddenly find them to be nothing more than obsolete junk, not worthy of doing much more than keeping a door open.

My current best camera is my 16 megapixel Olympus micro 4/3. It takes the best photos because it's small and light enough that I always take it with me.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One of the best photos I have ever taken was...

... It takes the best photos...
What size prints are making?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and even with my eyes about 2 feet from the screen (normally, I'm more like 3 ft from the screen), the image looks great & I can't see any pixelation at all.

Are there other advantages to having such a high res screen?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Are there other advantages to having such a high res screen?
Very interesting question. One that a Google search proves that it is not a frivolous one:

advantage of high resolution monitor

What comes to mind is TMI.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #428

Thanks Ron - it is amaziing how many articles on the internet are nothing but fluff!

In thinking about it some more, there is one possible advantage - and that is the ability to see an image at full resolution, which would be especially identify sharpness artifacts and noise. But you can do that on part of an image at a time too on a smaller res monitor.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #429

Sharing I do is that I pick out some images, after processing them, in Aperture and then drag them to an iCloud icon in the left sidebar of the program.

Then Aperture drops down an option to add those photos to an existing Photo Stream or to create a new Photo Stream with the selected pics.

In either case, I could enter the email addresses of the people I want to share those photos with. Email addresses have to be the ones associated with their Apple IDs (same as their iTunes accounts).

So those people will get notifications that there's a Photo Stream they can browse and they would open iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac and it would download what are probably JPGs of the processed images.

It also works on a PC, as long as the person is signed in with the same Apple ID as the one that the sharer entered, the same email address.

From then on, the shared Photo Stream can be browsed on those computers and devices which approved the Photo Stream.

Like I said I select the Photo Streams for the screensaver, both on my Macs and PC notebook. Then it cycles through those photos, from multiple Photo Streams.

Thing I like about this setup is that I get to constantly view photos out of my library, including recent ones without having to go to Flickr or some other sharing site. I haven't printed any photos so this is the main way I consume the photos I spend so much time and money taking.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #430
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Sharing I do is that I pick out some images, after processing them, in Aperture and then drag them to an iCloud icon in the left sidebar of the program.

Then Aperture drops down an option to add those photos to an existing Photo Stream or to create a new Photo Stream with the selected pics.

In either case, I could enter the email addresses of the people I want to share those photos with. Email addresses have to be the ones associated with their Apple IDs (same as their iTunes accounts).

So those people will get notifications that there's a Photo Stream they can browse and they would open iPhoto or Aperture on a Mac and it would download what are probably JPGs of the processed images.

It also works on a PC, as long as the person is signed in with the same Apple ID as the one that the sharer entered, the same email address.

From then on, the shared Photo Stream can be browsed on those computers and devices which approved the Photo Stream.

Like I said I select the Photo Streams for the screensaver, both on my Macs and PC notebook. Then it cycles through those photos, from multiple Photo Streams.

Thing I like about this setup is that I get to constantly view photos out of my library, including recent ones without having to go to Flickr or some other sharing site. I haven't printed any photos so this is the main way I consume the photos I spend so much time and money taking.
Lightroom should be able to do all that. I don't know for sure because I don't use iTunes or iCloud... or any other Apple-specific products. (I don't have anything against Apple products.) But it sounds to me that Aperture is merely "exporting" (that's Adobe's word for "Copying") the files to an offsite program/application. A "piece of cake" for Lightroom.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

explanade, I was going to add this to the last post but decided it should be separate.

After you upload an image to Facebook with Lightroom, it will automatically refresh if you make changes to the original file. I don't know if that's a Facebook thing or a LR thing but it is kinda neat. I, also, don't know if the same thing happens with uploads to other entities.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What size prints are making?

How about a 30x22. Big enough for 6 mp?

I routinely make very good big prints (like 20 x24) from my 16 mp Olympus. The trick is not more pixels. It's holding the camera very steady. Also, the great lenses that are made for this format. My 45mm f/1.7 is just marvelous all the time and absolutely fabulous in low light.

Of course, the real tool for great photos is located between the ears. And, it's free!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #433

I'm sure there are ways to do it but probably more manual intensive, like export JPGs, upload JPGs, download JPGs on other devices.

Or share a bunch of photos to some site, then people can download those shared photos and then save them somewhere for the Screensaver to access.

The exporting a Google Map with embedded pictures sounds interesting though. However, with changes to Google Maps, I wonder if that still will work.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Thanks Ron - it is amaziing how many articles on the internet are nothing but fluff!

In thinking about it some more, there is one possible advantage - and that is the ability to see an image at full resolution, which would be especially identify sharpness artifacts and noise. But you can do that on part of an image at a time too on a smaller res monitor.
Yes, but now we don't have to work on part of an image at a time.

My image editing experience iimporoved considerably going from a normal res laptop to a retina screen laptop. You can see the details so much better.

I guess we're ruined now as we are used to the sharpness and clarity of all our retina devices - iPad, iPhone, etc. I can't see going back. Which is why we waited for the retina version of a large screen, as we are already 2880 pixels across on our 15.4" laptop screens.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I routinely make very good big prints (like 20 x24) from my 16 mp Olympus. The trick is not more pixels. It's holding the camera very steady. Also, the great lenses that are made for this format. My 45mm f/1.7 is just marvelous all the time and absolutely fabulous in low light.
First, let me say that despite appearances, I don't really have an opinion on this issue... yet. However, here is a "quite old" article that addresses it pretty well:

Benefits of a High Resolution Sensor

Quote:
... Nikon releasing a high resolution 36 MP Nikon D800, many of us photographers question the need for such a high resolution sensor. Some of us are happy while others are angry about these latest trends. Just when we thought companies like Nikon abandoned the megapixel race, instead of seeing other companies do the same, we now see Nikon back in the game with a new breed of product with a boatload of pixels. Why did Nikon all of a sudden decide to flip the game? Why does everyone seem to be going for more pixels rather than better low-light / high ISO performance? Does a high resolution sensor make sense? What are the true benefits of a high resolution sensor? In this article, I will provide my thoughts on what I think has happened with Nikon’s camera strategy, along with a few points on benefits of a high resolution sensor.
Quote:
Of course, the real tool for great photos is located between the ears. And, it's free!
Could not agree more. Well, except for the "free" part. That I am not so sure of.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #436

Quote:
How about a 30x22. Big enough for 6 mp?
I try not to go under 150 dpi for a print (6MP would yield ~12x18) but it depends on the subject matter, viewing distance, print surface, and personal preference (i.e. pixel peeping OCD).
Old 02-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #437
Give me a forum ...

Does anybody up res for really large prints?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I try not to go under 150 dpi for a print (6MP would yield ~12x18) but it depends on the subject matter, viewing distance, print surface, and personal preference (i.e. pixel peeping OCD).
Tim Grey wrote about this very issue yesterday:

Resolution for Printing

Quote:
Today’s Question: I read on a blog post that they thought 150 ppi is enough to print. Wouldn’t a resolution of at least 300+ produce a better image? Or is the print quality and ppi based solely on the size of the final output of the image – can a smaller print be printed at a lower ppi without sacrificing print quality?
Quote:
Tim’s Quick Answer: If we use the pixel per inch (ppi) resolution as a form of “shorthand” for describing how much information is in a photo compared to the final print size, then we can use that ppi figure to talk about potential output size. To that end, I would consider 150 ppi to be too low a resolution value for most photographic prints. I consider values of around 200 to 250 ppi to be a good threshold for ideal output, and higher values are generally better. However, in most cases there is no need to go beyond about 360 to 400 ppi for output resolution.

More Detail: Part of the reason I think the general topic of resolution causes so much confusion for photographers is that we use so many different ways of explaining the same basic concepts. In addition, we often mean two different things when we use the term “resolution”.
He continues on in great detail (however, brief).
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #439
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of Tim Grey:

Yeah, it is almost two hours long (much shorter than the 24 hours of Julianne Kost) but... From DIYPhotography.com
Quote:
Tim Grey took the time to provide 10 killer tips on enhancing your photos in Lightroom. Unsurprisingly, you can get a lot done to your photo in Lightroom and move from an OK photo (not that Tim’s photos are “OK”) to a much more refined photo.
Since 90 minutes are way too much time for just 10 tips, each tip is broken to mini-tips and those are broken again probably making “10 tips for optimizing photos in lightroom” a more suitable title.

Here are the very highlights of the clip, you can get much more by watching the entire thing.
  1. Start with the basics
  2. Embrace “Presence” (Clarity, Vibrance, Saturation)
  3. Isolate colors
  4. Don’t ignore noise
  5. Check for chromatic aberration
  6. Correct for the lens
  7. Crop (almost always)
  8. Go (virtually) black and white
  9. Clean up and more in photoshop
  10. Get targeted
Working this workflow once learned can almost certainty improve your photos and I suggest that you use it on a few photos and see if it makes sense for you, and if it does, incorporate it in your workflow.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Does anybody up res for really large prints?
I prefer to do my printing in lightroom (instead of PS) and it automatically up-resses photos and you can set it to the printer native DPI (there's a print resolution setting).

I remember back when I used to get prints on a lightjet the "recommended wisdom" was to not up-res and let the printer interpolate. However, a quick search now seems to suggest up-ressing in software before sending it to the printer (assuming an inkjet).

This article by Schewe suggests that up-ressing is indeed beneficial and he has scans to prove it. But you may need at 10x loupe to see it: The Right Resolution | DigitalPhotoPro.com

Ron Boyd -- I definitely notice the difference printing a capture at 150 vs 200 or so (referring to the resolution of the original capture not upressing to meet printer native resolution). Personally for me, I still find 150 acceptable although not optimal.

Tags
hogan mirrorless