Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #461
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
It has always been my understanding that the definition of SLR was the focus and exposure measurements were taken "through the lens." The mirror was only incorporated into the mix to allow one to "see" the results of those processes prior to pressing the shutter button. The removal of the mirror (or even renaming it DSLR) doesn't change that. You, the photographer, are still viewing the scene "through the lens" either optically (mirror) or digitally (monitor).

I am unsure what you mean exactly by "the digital processing to replace it isn't there yet" but I can find no difference between the two with my 7D II (or the 7d, for that matter). Perhaps it is because I don't know what I am looking for.

In answer to Walt34's question: My EOS M has no lack between the time the button is pushed and the image capture -- it seems to be instantaneous. This, of course, may easily fall in to the YMMV category.
In most SLRs, the mirror allows all of that, focus, exposure setting, and viewing, through the lens; when the picture is to be captured on film, the mirror has to be flapped up to let the light through to the shutter and then the film. In most designs, the focus and exposure sensors are illuminated with the mirror. Wikipedia has a nice description: Single-lens reflex camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A digital sensor allows the designer to use the same sensor for all of those functions, in addition to capturing the exposure, hence no real need for the mirror or shutter. My understanding is that in DSLRs, the focus and exposure sensor setup from SLRs has been retained because the camera processors have not been fast enough to implement all that functionality using the single sensor.

I've recently done AF fine-tuning of my zoom lens on the D7000 using the LiveView technique, where you use the LCD to focus on the target, then switch out of LV to the viewfinder and observe the focus collar shift when the AF sensor kicks in. LV focusing is definitely slower, and it see-saws a bit more before settling in on the focus plane.

I'm sticking with my DSLR for the time being because of the lens selection. But I believe we'll see more "pro-sumer" and pro mirrorless offerings in the next couple of years, with a complementary evolution of lenses. Then, I'll re-evaluate my picture taking and, maybe, switch...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
- AF can use the whole sensor not just a limited section in the middle
Oh, but if only it were so. We can only dream. My 7D II has 65 focus points (same as the 1DX) which is the most of any camera I am aware of... a long way from "whole sensor."

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought mirrorless camera to use with a telescope. It avoids any shake induced by the mirror movement.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #464

I think the future will be a mirrorless SLR with android, iOS or the current mobile OS of choice running on the camera. That will merge the superior optics & sensors with the convenience and speedy innovation of mobile apps.

The Olympus Air and the Samsung Android based cameras, imho, are small steps that point to the future.

There will always be hobbyists & professionals who prefer well tuned single purpose devices.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #465
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I bought mirrorless camera to use with a telescope. It avoids any shake induced by the mirror movement.
It's easy to lock up the mirror in many DSLRs and that's what I do for night exposures and multiple exposures once I've composed the image.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My eyesight is poor and along with glasses I've never been able to get a good view through a viewfinder. I envy people with good vision.
My vision isn't great. But I really can't see well using anything but a viewfinder that looks through a lens that gathers a lot of light and blocks my eye and the viewfinder display from ambient light. Not to mention the magnification.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #467

Quote:
Oh, but if only it were so. We can only dream. My 7D II has 65 focus points (same as the 1DX) which is the most of any camera I am aware of... a long way from "whole sensor."
I think the notion of autofocus points is going to disappear. I.e. cameras will have so many that the device can select arbitrary shaped & sized regions that adapt to the subject.

The sony A6000 mirrorless has something like 200 focus points (phase detection) covering 97% of the sensor. Plus I would guess that every pixel can participate in contrast-detection AF.

Take a look at this video:

At 3:26 the presenter shows "eye autofocus" where the camera literally selects an eyeball as the focus point. I've had problems with my DSLR where the focus points were too big and I couldn't get the subjects eyes sharp without resorting to manual focus.

At 4:12 he shows how the focus tracks the subject right to the edge of the frame.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's easy to lock up the mirror in many DSLRs and that's what I do for night exposures and multiple exposures once I've composed the image.
I have an old Minolta SRT 101 with mirror lock up and that is what I used until about 2 years ago when I completely gave up on film. I moved to an apartment and didn't have room for my darkroom. I have an older Canon EOS Rebel DSLR but there is no mirror lock up on it. My Canon is old enough to be only 10Mp so I bought an 18Mp mirrorless.

I am planning on moving back to my house in a few months and may resurect the darkroom; depending on film availability.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #469
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the notion of autofocus points is going to disappear. I.e. cameras will have so many that the device can select arbitrary shaped & sized regions that adapt to the subject.

The sony A6000 mirrorless has something like 200 focus points (phase detection) covering 97% of the sensor. Plus I would guess that every pixel can participate in contrast-detection AF.

Take a look at this video:

At 3:26 the presenter shows "eye autofocus" where the camera literally selects an eyeball as the focus point. I've had problems with my DSLR where the focus points were too big and I couldn't get the subjects eyes sharp without resorting to manual focus.

At 4:12 he shows how the focus tracks the subject right to the edge of the frame.
Hey, if it locks on wildlife eyes my husband may be able to use autofocus again!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #470
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey, if it locks on wildlife eyes my husband may be able to use autofocus again!
This is part of a series by Arthur Morris on photographing birds, that might be of interest:

Found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvq...SatDpNg/videos
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #471

Ordered a DJI Phantom 2 drone with a stabilizing gimbal for my gopro today. I have several test flights planned over grassland conservation areas before I fly it over wooded areas or water. Hopefully I'll have some decent aerial photos and video in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is part of a series by Arthur Morris on photographing birds, that might be of interest:

Found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvq...SatDpNg/videos
Thanks - we did a couple of Art Morris's photo workshops in the late 90s, early 2000s, including Bosque del Apache. That was our initial bird photography training.

The challenge DH has to deal with is photographing very small birds (warblers) in trees with lots of branches using 1200mm. Depth of field is not great and it's too easy to for the camera to focus on something that is not the bird's eye, and unless the eye is tack sharp, the photo just doesn't look right. I think Art often uses manual focus under the same scenario.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #473
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not followed this thread so I don't know if anybody saw a documentary about Virginia Maier, it is very interesting for those that are into photography, especially street photography.

I believe I saw it on Showtime, the documentary is called "Finding Virginia Maier", her work was absolutely fascinating.

Check it out.

Mp

Old 02-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
I believe I saw it on Showtime, the documentary is called "Finding Virginia Maier", her work was absolutely fascinating.
Here is the "must watch" Trailer for the movie:

Here is a Blog on Street Photography that is quite informative:

Eric Kim Street Photography Blog €“ Street Photography Tips, Inspiration, and Community

Quote:
Hey streettogs, I am excited to announce that I’ve finally published my free e-book: “Street Photography 101. If you’re new to street photography, want to learn the fundamentals, or refresh your existing knowledge– check it out. As always, this book is “open source” — meaning you can freely edit, remix, and distribute this information as you would like.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #475

Nikon announces the release of the D7200:

Nikon D7200 Digital SLR Camera | DSLR from Nikon

Here are the specs: Nikon D7200 Digital SLR Camera | DSLR from Nikon

Tempting, but I'll wait at least awhile. It is described as an evolutionary model of the D7000 and D7100.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #476

I just got a Canon HS60 powershot. It is a bridge camera with a 65x optical zoom. I have used it about two weeks, so far so good.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #477
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I just got a Canon HS60 powershot. It is a bridge camera with a 65x optical zoom. I have used it about two weeks, so far so good.
Could that be a SX60 HS?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #478

Anybody using the beta of Apple's new photos ap (replaces aperture and iPhoto)?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #479
Give me a forum ...

No. Even Version 1.0 software usually needs work.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #480

Got an email from Apple inviting me to try Photos, reminding me that Aperture will go away.

From the previews from a couple of weeks ago, not interested.

Tags
hogan mirrorless