Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
Am totally lost when it comes to current photo equipment, although my wife has a Panasonic ZS6 Lumix.

I still have a Minolta SRT-101, with zoom lenses, flash units & filters. Seems as though some lenses could be usable by using adapters, but it seems like it's not worth the hassle. Getting ready to take these to Goodwill as part of a decluttering program.
Check to see what they go for on ebay - you may get yourself a nice dinner out on the proceeds or decide that the trip to Goodwill is all the effort worth expending on them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #502
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checked eBay & it's kinda sad.... There were many cameras for sale, most w/ no bids. One with some bids @ $100 & included 5 lenses + camera body! Really nice equipment going for really low prices.

Was into taking surf shots in the 70's - have to get the right moment, otherwise the shots are worthless. Wasted LOTS of film. With digital, it would be so much better (& cheaper).

Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #503

Lightroom 6/CC is out and I downloaded it yesterday. Main things added were HDR/panoramas, face detection, and speed improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Lightroom 6/CC is out and I downloaded it yesterday. Main things added were HDR/panoramas, face detection, and speed improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #505

Quote:
I feel slighted. They didn't tell me until today when I started LR.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #506

I opened my Lightroom 5 and got the notice that 6 was available. I clicked on the link and it took me to the "purchase" page for CC. I don't know if I want the CC version. I'm happy with Lightroom on my mac and laptop using a portable external drive for the photos. But I would like the upgrade for panos.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #507

They certainly make it difficult to buy/upgrade the standalone version. I'm guessing they will move lightroom to subscription only when they have an update with "must have" features.

If you go to:

Digital photography software | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

at the bottom right there is link to buy Lightroom 6. It takes you to a shopping cart page and then you have to edit the item to switch from full to upgrade.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #508

Since I was already paying the $9.99/month for Photoshop cc the Lightroom cc doesn't cost extra so I downloaded it. Install went OK, but the I couldn't start the application. Looking around, lots of others had the same issue and the most common solution (and it worked for me) is to log out of the Creative Cloud application and then log back in. And I still can't find the directory where it went! (Windows 7)

Anyway, here's a short video of what's in the new version. Not sure I would have bought it for those since PS does the same things and I don't use HDR or panos much anyway. But they are easier in LR cc.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #509
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I understand the new Nikon D7200 doesn't have the filter either. I haven't read any reviews on it yet since it'll be at least a year before I start thinking about buying one.
Not a Review, as such, but:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #510
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I opened my Lightroom 5 and got the notice that 6 was available. I clicked on the link and it took me to the "purchase" page for CC. I don't know if I want the CC version. I'm happy with Lightroom on my mac and laptop using a portable external drive for the photos. But I would like the upgrade for panos.
Yep sounds like they are really trying to steer you in that direction!!! Typical Adobe.

I am interested in Lightroom 6, but only to purchase an upgrade, no CC.

And I think I'll wait until the first bug fix version. I do HDR and panos a lot, and I think doing them in LR will be a lot easier. Then I only need to resort to Photoshop for the toughest cases.

I haven't been happy with Photoshop's HDR mapping. They don't give you enough control over the dynamic range. But they do an absolutely fantastic job of stacking images taken off tripod and correcting ghosting. So it's been a bit frustrating. I'm really hoping the LR HDR mapping has improved control over dynamic range. I won't know until I see some demos.

I also usually have to deal with the camera raw compatibility between LR and my older version of Photoshop. So far Adobe has been good about making camera raw upgrades that work with my non CC Photoshop, but I'm always a bit nervous about that breaking.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #511
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I do HDR and panos a lot, and I think doing them in LR will be a lot easier. Then I only need to resort to Photoshop for the toughest cases.

I haven't been happy with Photoshop's HDR mapping. They don't give you enough control over the dynamic range. But they do an absolutely fantastic job of stacking images taken off tripod and correcting ghosting. So it's been a bit frustrating. I'm really hoping the LR HDR mapping has improved control over dynamic range. I won't know until I see some demos.

from this article - Tips for Creating Raw HDR Images in Lightroom CC « Julieanne Kost's Blog

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=JgApMJR8kZk

A Review of LRCC - Say Hello to the NEW Adobe Lightroom CC! | Photofocus
Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #512

One thing that's nice about HDR and panos in light room is that they make dng files which are substantially smaller than the tiffs I get out of PS

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #513
Give me a forum ...

I actually have been using the Lightroom to Photoshop HDR merge creating a 32 bit file in Photoshop then doing the final work on that file in Lightroom. It has been able to handle the toning on that large file for a couple of versions now - since 4.1.

The tone mapping in Photoshop is just not good enough (or there is not enough control in creating the 32 bit file), and Lightroom doesn't have enough "room" to make the highlights and shadows adjustments needed when the large file is returned from Photoshop.

I'm hoping Lightroom 6 has improvements, but I'm not holding my breath. From what I've skimmed so far, there are some differences indicated by the recommendation to use less exposure overlap in the initial HDR images/fewer files. I'll keep investigating.

Well - it does look promising. You can't select which image to use for deghosting, but maybe that's not too bad. The resulting tonal range you can manipulate after the merge looks like it has been improved. I'd have to play with it myself to see if it is better. I was having difficulty with edge artifacts introduced as well with the prior solution, so I'll also have to see if those have gone away.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One thing that's nice about HDR and panos in light room is that they make dng files which are substantially smaller than the tiffs I get out of PS

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Right! That is definitely a motivation!!!!

Managing my drive space is a constant challenge. I'm more than half filled on a 2T drive now and I have a lot more processing to do!!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #515
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm more than half filled on a 2T drive now and I have a lot more processing to do!!!!
One solution is to simply "bite the bullet" and increase your storage capacity. This (WD 8TB My Book Duo External RAID Storage) is my latest purchase. I paid $348 so ask them to "e-mail you a better price" if you're interested.

I am, however, not typical in this regard: I have 41TBs of storage attached to my Desktop machines. (Oops, make that 44TB since I, also, have a 3TB NAS drive for backup purposes.) This does not include the internal Hard Drives -- my main desktop, for instance, has 5TB internally. In addition, I have about 6TB in several portable drives that I take "on the road." Furthermore, I have a bunch (10+) of drives of 1TB or less that have accumulated over the years that I need to dispose of.

I can empathize with you, however, because despite all that, I continually have the same "short of space" problem you have.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #516

My problem is that I run into the 2/4GB limit for psd and tiff files when doing panoramas / layered files. Lightroom doesn't support photoshop's large file format (.psb).

I'm not sure what the file size limit is for DNG but I'm guessing that it will be larger (than 4gb) and plus the files are smaller (at least compared to 16bit uncompressed tiff). I will have to do some more testing.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Furthermore, I have a bunch (10+) of drives of 1TB or less that have accumulated over the years that I need to dispose of.
I also have a bunch of old 1 or 2 TB drives (5+ years old) that are accumulating. They're starting to get too small / too old for extra backups, but I'm not sure what to do with them.

I feel like it would be wasteful to dispose of them. I thought about getting a cheap USB3 4-bay enclosure and just making a giant disk out of them (RAID-0 stripe or Drobo), but the enclosure would probably cost as much as getting a new 4TB drive.

Anyone have ideas?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #518
Give me a forum ...

Well I ordered the upgrade to Lightroom 6. I decided it was important enough to take along on my upcoming Europe trip. Usually I wait until I get home to process HDRs and Panoramas, but now I won't have to.

We take a MacBook Air on long trips and have Lightroom on it, but I don't have Photoshop on it. Now I can do a little initial processing on the best multiple exposure stuff while still travelling.

There was another Lightroom 6 HDR video I found informative.

BTW - I had no trouble navigating to the upgrade and Adobe and updating my chart. You do have to look.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #519
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We take a MacBook Air on long trips and have Lightroom on it, but I don't have Photoshop on it. Now I can do a little initial processing on the best multiple exposure stuff while still travelling.
I, too, take Lightroom wherever I go. I, however, subscribe to the full Adobe CC suite so I have Photoshop with me also (along with Premier Pro, Illustrator, etc. but rarely use them).

I have all 200,000 of my images, along with the Lightroom Catalog (including presets, keywords, and other LR settings) on a 2TB portable hard drive. Therefore, all I need to do is plug this into whatever computer I am using (desktop or laptop) without the need to transfer files around each time I switch. (Of course, I do have three backups of this on separate HDs.)

Lightroom has been such a time-saver that I shutter to think what I would do without it.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #520
Give me a forum ...

Pun intended? (shutter) LOL!

I don't take an external drive or many of my apps on the Air. We mainly use it to upload photos and video onto the internal drive while traveling - a backup of the memory cards, and to deal with banking while we are traveling. DH has a video app he can use.

I really have very, very little time to process photos while traveling. If there is something particularly great I may try to pull together something for email or posting, but most of it waits until I get back home and can use the big HD screen workstation.

Last Europe trip I filled two 64G cards and one 32G card. This time I'm taking a 128G and two 64G cards.

Tags
hogan mirrorless