Photographer's Corner - equipment

I'm not talking about uploading my entire library.

I don't have 100k images but I have no interest in uploading it all.

Just saying it's easy to create a stream right within Aperture to share/propagate some set of photos from each album.

I'm sure you can do something similar with Lightroom using plugins or some helper apps.

I guess I am struggling with the term "stream."

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Streaming media is multimedia that is constantly received by and presented to an end-user while being delivered by a provider. The verb "to stream" refers to the process of delivering media in this manner; the term refers to the delivery method of the medium rather than the medium itself.

Live streaming, which refers to content delivered live over the Internet, requires a form of source media (e.g. a video camera, an audio interface, screen capture software), an encoder to digitize the content, a media publisher, and a content delivery network to distribute and deliver the content.

You are correct. Lightroom cannot do that. Nor would I ask it to. I use Lightroom exclusively to process my images. I, of course, share a lot of them (even most) but do it most often independent of LR.

Stream is what they call it, I guess because one of the options is to keep like your last month of images sync'd automatically across devices.

I know you can export and upload separately. Just saying this way is more streamlined.

For instance, a lot of people have no problems sending images back and forth between 2 or among 3 or more applications for various stages of post processing.

So in that context, exporting and uploading separately seems trivial. But others like myself like certain things to be streamlined.

That's one reason why I've held off on migrating from Aperture to Lightroom.

I haven't investigated the photosharing options that Adobe offers.

But under Apple's ecosystem, I just select the images I want to share and the email addresses of the people I want to share with and if they accept, the images go into their devices.

I have only about 1000 or so images I'm sharing with iCloud Photo Streams and I didn't have to buy any more storage beyond the 5 GB that everyone gets.

Though I have heard that their storage costs are much higher than services like Dropbox and others.

I can almost as easily share on Picasa, though I'm not sure how much storage they give you.

Never really looked into Google Plus because I hate the forced social network integration.

I guess though that photo-specific services like Flickr, Smugmug and others are more popular, though I don't think they give you much storage either.

I don't share photos widely, in fact I use it as a mechanism to propagate some photos from my main library to my other devices.
Even though I use Lightroom, I use the Apple solution for any photo streaming/sharing. I export Lightroom photos to a final format then use one of the Apple tools to share them. Straightforward.

Here is an interesting program:

There’s a New Free Browser-Based Film Emulator

It’s a simple web app that lets you give any photo the look of a particular film stock.

The website is powered with Javascript and can apply the emulations to photos you select. Everything is done within your browser, so you’re not actually uploading your photo to Wagner’s server.

In addition to a very long dropdown menu of different film stocks you can select, there are also sliders for adjusting brightness, contrast, vibrance, grain, and vignetting. A button at the top lets you toggle between the before and after views for your shot.
Here is that image I uploaded earlier today converted to "High Speed Infrared":

_N6A1056-Canon EOS 7D Mark II 06-09-2015 07h  38m 12s.jpg _N6A1056-Canon EOS 7D Mark II 06-09-2015 07h  38m 12s (1).jpg

Awesome skies Frayne. The 5D was my first full frame camera and at the time it was light years ahead of the competition. It convinced me to move from nikon (they only had APS-C).

Speaking of switching systems, the announcement I've been waiting for has come: Sony a7R II has 42.4MP on 4K-capable full frame BSI CMOS sensor: Digital Photography Review

It's for the new Sony A7R II. It has a "back illuminated sensor" but I have no idea what exactly to expect from this sensor technology (I've read the wikipedia article). It generally sounds like a good thing...

BSI sensors have been mostly used on phone cameras. Sony is a leading supplier of sensors for phones.

IIRC, it improves low light performance for small sensors with high megapixels.

I'm interested in 4k video but now, TVs will have HDR with 4k.

IIRC, it improves low light performance for small sensors with high megapixels.

What's not clear to me is the impact on a full size sensor. is it going to be tangible?

As far as I can tell the only BSI sensor for larger cameras than cell phones iis the Samsung NX1. The reviews suggest image quality is about the same as it's competitors but they may not be starting from the same baseline. I.e. maybe the samsung would be much worse without BSI.

I've read that BSI helps with rangefinder and tilt/shift lenses due to less sensitivity to the angle of incidence. That's good for me as I have a few T/S that I 'll probably keep.

Maybe because they're pushing 42 megapixels onto the sensor.

If it delivers the low light performance of other full frame cameras with much less megapixels, it would be some feat.

I glanced through some info. 4k video at 30/25, not bad but my guess is in the next couple of years, they'll hit 4k at 60fps.

The A6000 successor should also be announced but the rumors indicate they're having problems with the 4k overheating the device.

I don't shoot a lot of video nor have a 4k TV yet but it would be an interesting feature to have.

Or maybe away from Adobe entirely.

What would be their motivation to support a dead method of distribution? Competition rules out such a high cost procedure. Unless, of course, you, the customer, would be willing to pay a premium for it. Wait! You have already agreed to that... and that didn't make a difference. Hmmmm , the cost must be greater than I imagine.

The dehaze feature is pretty neat. Here's the same photo with the only difference being the dehaze applied. Note the mountains (hills to you westerners) in the background.

Attachments

• Afternoon_farm.jpg
    Afternoon_farm.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Afternoon_farm_dehaze.jpg
    Afternoon_farm_dehaze.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 16
Just looks like clarity to me - local contrast - which can be applied to distance features only, if desired, by using a mask.

One option for Adobe is to make non-CC users wait for the next major upgrade to get new features like this.

Last edited:
The standalone is probably downloaded now, not shipped on physical media.

Only difference is the CC version checked your current subscription status before launching.

Until now that is.

Adobe issued reduced outlook and ADBE is down in early trading.

Karma or was it the dim forecasts that drove this move?

As always, Laura Shoe does a great job of explaining how Lightroom works:​
This video did point out something I hadn't thought of ... that the stand-alone version of LR not being upgraded is, actually, the normal SOP... the one we have been accustomed to for years. Remember, they told us that one of the advantages of the CC version would be instant updates.

Now, whether Adobe puts these new features in the next (v7) release is another question (or even if there will be a stand-alone v7) that only the future can answer.​

Just looks like clarity to me - local contrast - which can be applied to distance features only, if desired, by using a mask.

Similar, yes, but (to my eye anyway) it looks like a different effect. In some instances perhaps a distinction without a difference.

Similar, yes, but (to my eye anyway) it looks like a different effect. In some instances perhaps a distinction without a difference.

Or as always been said: There are a cagillion ways to do the same thing in Photoshop... some ways are just easier than others.

As always, Laura Shoe does a great job of explaining how Lightroom works:​
This video did point out something I hadn't thought of ... that the stand-alone version of LR not being upgraded is, actually, the normal SOP... the one we have been accustomed to for years. Remember, they told us that one of the advantages of the CC version would be instant updates.

Now, whether Adobe puts these new features in the next (v7) release is another question (or even if there will be a stand-alone v7) that only the future can answer.​
Right - I'd wouldn't expect the new feature until paying for the next major upgrade. They've gotta give the subscription folks something between upgrades.

Interesting about camera raw upgrade for CS6 though - I might have to check that out, just to see.

Well from the examples I couldn't see anything other than manipulating contrast - both local and global, and maybe in some selected "low-contrast" areas. But unless I try to do it myself, I won't know.

Back
Top Bottom