Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
Where should she go next. Anything missing?
A photo quality printer might be nice. It's great for instant gratification and it's a nice way to share images.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
A photo quality printer might be nice. It's great for instant gratification and it's a nice way to share images.
+1

I have had great fun with my photo printer. It was a bit more expensive than the cheapos, but the photos are marvelous and I can print on a variety of interesting papers: glossy, semi-gloss, matt, watercolor, and various artsy papers. It even does canvas. People love to see their photos on professional quality art paper.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't use a polarizer anymore. Multiple exposures work better for me. Software is really good at doing the things you used to need polarizers and neutral graduated density filters for.

Lightroom 5 is great and pretty easy to use. You don't need Photoshop except for pretty esoteric things now.
Interesting. How do you get rid of reflections where you don't want them. For example in leaves or even relatively plain surfaces.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Interesting. How do you get rid of reflections where you don't want them. For example in leaves or even relatively plain surfaces.
I am also curious. That is my #1 reason for using a polarizer.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
gone traveling

I can see achieving a rough approximation of a graduated density filter with software, but there is no replicating with software what a polarizing filter can do.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I can see achieving a rough approximation of a graduated density filter with software, but there is no replicating with software what a polarizing filter can do.
If you are using the polarizer to make blue skies darker, then yes this is easy to do in post. Cutting reflections though isn't going to happen.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
If you are using the polarizer to make blue skies darker, then yes this is easy to do in post. Cutting reflections though isn't going to happen.
I love pulling detail out of clouds when the angles for a polarizer are just right. Magic disappearance of water surface reflections is also a favorite use. Software can't do either of these. I do like darkening skies particularly in black and white and as you say that is doable in post.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Clarity - also known as local contrast in post processing.

Yes, software and sufficient dynamic range can reduce an amazing amount of glare.

I get amazing details out of my skies using HDR.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
I love the post processing, even after I "capture it right".

Polarizers screw up my panoramas!
This is a fact I agree with 100%. Many of us have learned this lesson the hard way
Old 11-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #50

Rarely are lighting conditions perfect enough that a file needs no post processing whatsover.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article by Thom Hogan concerning more pixels and if that is what we really need to get better photographs. One quote:
Quote:
Thus, here’s my tip for the day: instead of going for 24mp over the 16mp you’ve got, or wishing for more than the 24mp you can get today, think about the lens out front first. You can impact your DX results far more by judicious lens choice than you can buying megapixels now.
Will the Pixel Madness Ever End? | byThom | Thom Hogan
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #52
gone traveling

That is well written and well thought out. I disagree with some of it but in general I agree with the premise of the article. The shortcomings I see in many photographs would not be improved one iota with more pixels.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I have to agree with Hogan for the most part. My Olympus m4/3 has 'only' 16mp, but with the very fine and fast lenses in the system, I get amazingly sharp and detailed photos. If, things are not right it is usually because the photographer has erred.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Equipment - well software. Why I love Lightroom5

Here are some before and after shots showing the capabilities of Lightroom5 and Lightroom 4.

These were both taken by my husband with his iPhone5 in HDR mode - both under challenging conditions - interiors with light coming through windows and lots of reflected light. I then processed them in Lightroom 5.

The main new Lightroom5 feature is the automatic perspective correction/straightening which works amazing well much of the time. These two photos both used the automatic feature. You can also do it manually if you don't like the result

Other features I use heavily which are also in LR4 are:
  • Lens profile corrections - corrects for lens distortion, vignetting (can be a biggie), and chromatic aberration.
  • White balance corrections as necessary.
  • Tonal adjustment has great algorithms for bringing out shadows, highlights plus clarity and vibrance.
  • Noise reduction and sharpening, of course.

Each photo - before, then after:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iPhone5_IMG_0595bfire.jpg (205.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg iPhone5_IMG_0595fire.jpg (215.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg iPhone5_IMG_0766bfire.jpg (210.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg iPhone5_IMG_0766fire.jpg (219.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Here are some before and after shots showing the capabilities of Lightroom5 and Lightroom 4.

These were both taken by my husband with his iPhone5 in HDR mode - both under challenging conditions - interiors with light coming through windows and lots of reflected light. I then processed them in Lightroom 5.

The main new Lightroom5 feature is the automatic perspective correction/straightening which works amazing well much of the time. These two photos both used the automatic feature. You can also do it manually if you don't like the result

Other features I use heavily which are also in LR4 are:
  • Lens profile corrections - corrects for lens distortion, vignetting (can be a biggie), and chromatic aberration.
  • White balance corrections as necessary.
  • Tonal adjustment has great algorithms for bringing out shadows, highlights plus clarity and vibrance.
  • Noise reduction and sharpening, of course.

Each photo - before, then after:
Thanks for posting. I'm a Lightroom newbie and didn't know that iPhone images could be edited in lightroom. I've only used it on my raw dslr shots. I'll give it a try on some iphotos
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm a Lightroom newbie and didn't know that iPhone images could be edited in lightroom. I've only used it on my raw dslr shots. I'll give it a try on some iphotos
Oh it edits jpegs just the same.

And it even recognizes that it's an iPhone5 and does some lens correction.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #57

Yep I now see it does jpegs just like raws. Haven't messed with lens corrections yet, but its good to know that it recognizes the iPhone. I found an old scanned in photo of DW (more than 50 yrs old) that had a bunch of spots, etc. I fixed it up a little in Lightroom. I may have to spend the winter cleaning up the old scanned photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g in first grade.jpg (296.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Wow, nice Audrey. I have Photoshop CS5 using DD's teachers's discount. But Lightroom might be a better option for me. Does it have the same shadow/highlight adjustment as Photoshop?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow, nice Audrey. I have Photoshop CS5 using DD's teachers's discount. But Lightroom might be a better option for me. Does it have the same shadow/highlight adjustment as Photoshop?
They basically use the same Camera Raw engine. LR5 is a much better user interface to it IMO.

So yes - same adjustments.

LR 5 was $60 off on Cyber Monday - one day only, unfortunately. It's still a lot cheaper than Photoshop.

I only go into Photoshop for mostly esoteric layer work other than the Panorama Merge and HDR Merge features both of which can be launched seamlessly from Lightroom.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #60

Film scanning?

Anyone here shoot on film and scan it in for digital processing and printing? I'm interested in getting a film scanner of some sort, primarily for 35mm, but possibly (if the costs aren't too high) for 120 and 4x5 film.

This would let me use all my funky old gear, without having to set up the huge and even funkier old enlarger and build a wet process lab (which DW might just possibly not care for...). Film I can process with a changing bag and a sink. 11x14 prints, not so much...

I'm looking for something I can afford easily, so wet mount drum scanners are Right Out. I expect I'd mostly be shooting with the Ilford black and white films. I like the tones, and as I recall, the film lay nice and flat compared to Tri-X.

Tags
hogan mirrorless