Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So Nikon will probably best Canon in the Dxomarks, if people care ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is one man's thoughts on whether or not most of us need a big SLR for our daily shooting. Personally, I agree, but your mileage may vary.

Where We’re Headed | byThom | Thom Hogan
Quote:
Here’s the thing. Let’s say that a large part of your shooting is in the 24-85mm range. Can you get by without a DSLR for that? Ten years ago I would have said no. Even five years ago I would mostly have said no. Today? Different story.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #583
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here is one man's thoughts on whether or not most of us need a big SLR for our daily shooting. Personally, I agree, but your mileage may vary.

Where We’re Headed | byThom | Thom Hogan

I sold my D3300 last week. We were on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I found that I was leaving the camera behind and using my iPhone because the camera was too big.

I'm currently thinking of getting either the Sony A6000 or Olympus EM10. I think the A6000 body is nicer, but I'm less impressed with the lenses available. The EM10 with the 14-42mm pancake lenses would make a very lightweight and compact camera and would probably work for most of my shooting.

I still haven't decided between the two, but I agree that these cameras are excellent replacements for low end/general purpose SLRs.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #584

A6000 is cheap right now, $600 with the kit lens.

However, it's been a year so there may be a replacement coming out.

Yes I notice the weight of the D750 I've lugged around on 3 trips now.

And most of my shooting is within the 24-85 mm range and I hate changing lenses out in the field.

But while I'm able to lug it around, I will do so.

I guess these large sensor pocketable cameras are a good complement for many people. I'm integrating more and more iPhone pics, but mainly for things like easy panoramas and HDRs.

I guess I could probably find a pocketable camera better than the iPhone for those tasks, but the iPhone will be lighter to carry than the pocketable.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #585
Give me a forum ...

Most of my travel shooting is in the 17 to 22mm range on a full frame camera, which is why I'm only taking one of my wide angle zooms on my next Europe trip.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #586

Regarding DSLRs -- I'm almost certainly going to pick up sony's next incarnation of their A7r.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #587

Very tempted by the Sony A7.

But limited lens selection and I thought you could easily use Nikon and Canon lenses with them but turns out it would be manual focus and exposure settings, probably no OIS.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Very tempted by the Sony A7.

But limited lens selection and I thought you could easily use Nikon and Canon lenses with them but turns out it would be manual focus and exposure settings, probably no OIS.

That's another downside to the A6000. Image stabilization is built into the lens, not the camera.

Taking a quick look, it looks like the A7 II has image stabilization. Of course, it's also more expensive.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #589

Quote:
A6000 is cheap right now, $600 with the kit
lens.

Costco has a package for $650 that includes two kit lenses, plus some other stuff. But what I've read about the 18-55mm lens hasn't impressed me. It could be better to go with the body and buy better lenses separately.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #590

I've thought about what lenses I would use if I switch to an A7x body as my primary camera. Right now on canon most of my shooting is

24-105
24mm T/S
70-300L

Adapters suck for AF and I don't like using them in general, so I'd probably do something like

24-105L -> 24-70 FE or a 3 set prime 25mm / 55mm / 85mm
24mm T/S -> keep and use with adapter
70-300L -> use with adaptor (for landscape/cityscapes/static shots) or replace with sony 70-200 f/4 or keep a canon body (best when AF needed)

I do want an ultrawide like canon's 11-24 or 16-35 f/4 but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Costco has a package for $650 that includes two kit lenses, plus some other stuff. But what I've read about the 18-55mm lens hasn't impressed me. It could be better to go with the body and buy better lenses separately.
On DP Review forums, people are saying the older 18-55 is better but not as compact as the 16-50, which is more pancake like.

A couple of days ago, it was $600 with the 16-50 but it's gone up to $700 now.

A6000 came out almost a year ago so there will probably be a new model, though more expensive of course.

I'm going to try to go handle it in person. Some say you can fit it in a jacket pocket but in the summer time, you're still going to have to have it on a strap or something.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I've thought about what lenses I would use if I switch to an A7x body as my primary camera. Right now on canon most of my shooting is

24-105
24mm T/S
70-300L

Adapters suck for AF and I don't like using them in general, so I'd probably do something like

24-105L -> 24-70 FE or a 3 set prime 25mm / 55mm / 85mm
24mm T/S -> keep and use with adapter
70-300L -> use with adaptor (for landscape/cityscapes/static shots) or replace with sony 70-200 f/4 or keep a canon body (best when AF needed)

I do want an ultrawide like canon's 11-24 or 16-35 f/4 but I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that.
Would you save a lot in weight if you're using those big Canon lenses with an adapter?

One of the reasons I stuck with Nikon is that there's no easy way to geotag with Sony.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #593

Well ideally I would switch to native sony/zeiss lenses except for my T/S. For a three lens kit, I'm guessing I would save a pound or two on the body/lenses. There might be more savings if it allows a lighter tripod/ballhead etc.

Lower weight is just one reason I'm attracted to the A7x series. Other factors include compactness, dynamic range, articulating screen, higher res (although 5ds delivers this as well), etc. Also there's no way my canon 5d can be an EDC camera but I'm hoping the A7 with small prime can fit that role as well.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #594

Well it might work size/weight wise but EDC is more vulnerable to being lost or stolen so people might not want to risk carrying expensive gear all the time.

Phones aren't necessarily cheap but they're trackable and they might suit more mundane shooting opportunities.

For many too, a phone is good enough for candid moments where ultimate image quality is not the primary goal.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #595

Quote:
One of the reasons I stuck with Nikon is that there's no easy way to geotag with Sony.

Another plus for Olympus. I'm thinking that the A6000 might be a better camera, but the EM10 would be more enjoyable to use.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #596
Give me a forum ...

The key to carrying a heavy camera is in the strap.

I have a Canon 7D Mark II with a battery Pack which, with Lens and strap (see below), weighs exactly 4 pounds 13 ounces (postal scale). I have never suffered discomfort... even after 6-7 hours.

I use a Lowepro Voyager C strap.

I don't have a "genre" that is dominate in my photography. I am interested in whatever catches my attention at the moment. Consequently, I need a lens that is capable of capturing a wide range. For many years I carried a bunch of different lens. Unfortunately, all I ended up with was a very dirty sensor from constantly changing lenses. I now have only two lenses -- a Tamron 16-300 (included in the above weight calculation) and because I sometimes get the opportunity to shoot wildlife (particularly birding), a Tamron 15-600 (this is not a carry-around lens however). FWIW, I use these instead of Canon glass because Canon doesn't have a comparable offering.. and it cost about half of what I would expect Canon to ask.)

I also, quite often --like on long hikes or tours -- carry to a Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera with a 18-55 mm lens -- for those times when I wish to be a little less obvious. I use a Blackrapid Metro strap on this camera which puts the camera on my hip allowing "quick draw" -- as well as allowing it to be a second camera without interfering with the main camera.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #597
Give me a forum ...

I forgot to mention that I attach the Lowepro strap to my camera with a SLR C-Loop mount. (It can be purchased here.) It takes away the tripod/monopod mount but the camera is "always ready" and the strap is never in the way.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #598

I got the Custom SLR Air strap. The cinching isn't the smoothest but it works.

Custom SLR Air Strap AIRSTP B&H Photo Video

I may consider a tripod screw mount but rather than using Custom SLR's mount, I might try something like this:

Carbon Arca Plate | Luma Labs

The only thing is, my tripod doesn't use an Arca Swiss head. I may get one that does though.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #599
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the lack of that mount is an issue. The 15-300 lens is pretty heavy and hard to handle hand-held. I use a Monfrotto 685-B monopod with a Tomahawk Gimbal (no ballhead). That way I can capture birds taking off/landing (or in flight), race cars, motocross, etc. at virtually zero weight. I have to take the strap off the camera and it makes for paranoid moments.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I sold my D3300 last week. We were on vacation a couple of weeks ago and I found that I was leaving the camera behind and using my iPhone because the camera was too big.

I'm currently thinking of getting either the Sony A6000 or Olympus EM10. I think the A6000 body is nicer, but I'm less impressed with the lenses available. The EM10 with the 14-42mm pancake lenses would make a very lightweight and compact camera and would probably work for most of my shooting.

I still haven't decided between the two, but I agree that these cameras are excellent replacements for low end/general purpose SLRs.

I ended up ordering the EM10 with the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens. Size wise it'll be a little bit smaller than the D3300 with the standard kit lens, which is what I was using before, but I expect the picture IQ to be much, much better.

I spent quite a bit of time thinking if I should get prime lenses with a cheap zoom instead, but in the end if I want lower quality pictures, I'll just use my iPhone. The new camera should be here by the end of next week. Can't wait to try it out.

Tags
hogan mirrorless