Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why would you expect the micro 4/3 to have better IQ than APS-C?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #602
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Why would you expect the micro 4/3 to have better IQ than APS-C?

And FF will have better IQ than APS-C?

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

IQ also depends on the lens. I was unimpressed by the APS-C alternatives. I'm looking for a "fun" camera to use and everything I've read about the Olympus leads me to believe that I'll enjoy using it, something that was missing for me with the D3300. The alternative would have been the A6000 with the Sony 16-70mm f/4 lens, but that would be more expensive with a lens that's not as good (IMO). Plus, the A6000 body layout was less appealing (no touchscreen for AF, dials too far to the right, no gps, etc).

So I'll agree with you that an APS-C is a better sensor than an m43, but there's more to a camera than the sensor.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #603

The 12-40 looks like a very nice lens and is tiny (in comparison my 24-105L f/4 is nearly double the weight). If I shot 4/3 I'd be tempted to get it.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #604
Give me a forum ...

So you're saying there are better lens available for the Olympus than the Nikon?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #605

Quote:
So you're saying there are better lens available for the Olympus than the Nikon?

I never said that and I'm not sure what you're trying to figure out.

I'm sure the Nikon has some excellent lenses. The difference is that equivalent or better Nikon lens will be bigger and heavier.

I read a lot about the 12-40mm lens for the Olympus. It's a big and heavy lens when compared to other m43 lenses, which a lot of m43 users complain about. But it's all about perspective. Size-wise, the 12-40mm lens on an EM10 body has slightly less length than a D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lens. And I'm pretty sure the 12-40mm setup will perform much better.

The only downside is that it will be a bit heavier than my old setup. I may or may not keep this lens long term. What I'm trying to figure out is my ideal setup and since I've done the multiple lenses thing in the past, I'm looking forward to having one high quality lens with a solid body.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #606
Give me a forum ...

There are expensive Zeiss lenses for the Sony.

Also adapters to use with any lenses, though manual focusing.

I checked out the A6000 the other day. Not really pocketable but definitely small.

One thing puzzling is that the kit lens didn't seem to have a filter thread.

Costco is selling a two lens bundle for $650. So tempting but all kinds of rumors of an imminent A6100 or A7000.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #607

Quote:
There are expensive Zeiss lenses for the Sony.

Also adapters to use with any lenses, though manual focusing.

I checked out the A6000 the other day. Not really pocketable but definitely small.

One thing puzzling is that the kit lens didn't seem to have a filter thread.

Costco is selling a two lens bundle for $650. So tempting but all kinds of rumors of an imminent A6100 or A7000.

The expensive Zeiss lens is the one I mentioned earlier. From what I've read it's a nice lens, but not worth the cost.

The Costco bundle is sold out. There was also a price increase for both the A6000 body and kit. This puzzled me at first, because when I started looking at mirrorless cameras both the EM10 and A6000 bodies were selling for $450. The A6000 body is now selling for $550.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
The expensive Zeiss lens is the one I mentioned earlier. From what I've read it's a nice lens, but not worth the cost.

The Costco bundle is sold out. There was also a price increase for both the A6000 body and kit. This puzzled me at first, because when I started looking at mirrorless cameras both the EM10 and A6000 bodies were selling for $450. The A6000 body is now selling for $550.
You're a patient person!

In the end, a camera system purchase is a very personal decision and is based on many attributes. As long as you're happy!

Personally - I got the A6000 and am happy with it. It did look at the camera/lens combo that you bought, but decided that I wanted the shorter DoF that comes with the APC sensors - though sometimes, I curse that when my pictures aren't as sharp as I want them to be.

Hope you enjoy the camera!

Esplanade: the 16-50 kit lens that came with my a6000 does have a filter thread.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
You're a patient person!

In the end, a camera system purchase is a very personal decision and is based on many attributes. As long as you're happy!

Personally - I got the A6000 and am happy with it. It did look at the camera/lens combo that you bought, but decided that I wanted the shorter DoF that comes with the APC sensors - though sometimes, I curse that when my pictures aren't as sharp as I want them to be.

Hope you enjoy the camera!

Esplanade: the 16-50 kit lens that came with my a6000 does have a filter thread.
It's more like paralysis by analysis. I went through a lot of analysis and my family members were tired of hearing about cameras/lenses, so I finally had to make a choice.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #610
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Check out our new photo and video editing workstation. It's the new iMac with 27 inch 14.7 megapixel display, 5120 pixels across. Here we are comparing it to our previous editing platform, a MacBook pro retina with a 5.2 megapixel display, 2880 pixels across. Both images are shown at 100%.

We've been waiting a long time for the large screens to go "retina" - i.e. high res. Up until late last year you couldn't get a larger retina display than our 15.4" laptop screens.

The iMac has the computer built into the back of the display - so no separate computer "box".
Apple just dropped the entry level price of the 5K iMac $500 - now $1999 with 8GB ram and 1TB drive.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #611

After using a Canon 20D, 1D3, 5D2 with f2.8 lenses from 15mm through 300mm I got tired of lugging all of that around and have been using an Olympus EM1 with 12-40 f2.8 (24-80 equivalent) and find that while it is not quite as good image quality as the 5D2 it is close enough. Focus speed is pretty good. I'm very pleased with it. Also I'm thinking of getting a smaller mirror less and can use the same lens.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Apple just dropped the entry level price of the 5K iMac $500 - now $1999 with 8GB ram and 1TB drive.
I'm in awe of Apple's supply chain. Dell's 5k monitor alone goes for $2008.99 on amazon right now.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #613
Give me a forum ...

I'd wait at least for Skylake processors, so probably a year from now.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #614
Give me a forum ...

Your Phone Isn’t The Only Camera You Need

Quote:
Phone cameras have made photography everyone’s hobby. But even owners of the fanciest smartphones would recognize the many genres of disappointing phone-ography: The blurry runaway toddler. The lifeless landscape. The grainy candlelit dinner. The ghoulish flash portrait.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #615

A few years ago while my son was in high school sports I had a small hobby/business of sports photography. Made a few bucks but it gave me the funds to own high end pro camera gear.
Yes equipment does make a difference but there is much more to a great photograph than a quick snapshot. Kinda like pots and pans, doesn't matter how much you spend on them they help but won't cook by themselves!
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #616
Give me a forum ...

Here is a recent table showing the lenses available for the various mirrorless camera systems. As you can see some are very well filled out (m4/3 for example) while other systems have a lot of holes to fill.

Quote:
For current mirrorless owners, it’ll give you an idea of how your system stacks up against the others, plus remind you of what you’ve got available. For those thinking about purchasing a mirrorless camera, this allows you to quickly compare the potential systems for suitability.
Current Lens Availability | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Well the columnist does admit at the end that there are situations when you just want to pull out the iPhone, not a bigger camera.

I've complemented shooting with my D750 on my travels with some iPhone panos and videos, including time lapse and super slow-mo.

I don't print anything so probably can't see the difference but they look good even on my retina display MacBook Pro.

I once saw a museum exhibit of photos taken by people from the '40s to around the '80s. What it showed is that as cameras became more affordable and smaller, people took pictures of subjects they didn't used to, like inside their homes.

Before cameras were affordable, people went to studios to have portraits taken so it was mostly these posed, studio pictures. But once people got the equipment, you got more impromptu, intimate photos.

I actually went to Best Buy to look at the A6000 this past weekend. Also checked out some smaller point and shoots too, figuring they will be an improvement on my iPhone. Their sensors are not that much bigger than the one in my iPhone 6 Plus but they of course have much better optics.

However, while they're pocketable, they're still at least twice as thick as my iPhone and probably double the weight. I just don't see myself carrying it around with me everywhere like my phone, since the utility is limited to just taking pictures.

It's just another device that I could lose, get stolen or damaged.

Now, I may consider a phone that is 1-1.5 inch thick, just to get bigger sensor and better optics but it's unlikely such a device will be made.

Reality is, more people are taking pics with phones by a huge margin now. So it draws a lot of software support, with apps. which do some interesting things to get around the limitations of the phone cameras. But more importantly, decades from now, people will look at archives of Flickr and other sharing sites and smart phone photos will represent a lot of the photography being done today.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
reality is, more people are taking pics with phones by a huge margin now...
Photography Then & Now.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #619
Give me a forum ...

True of all digital cameras. You can take virtually unlimited number of photos, compared to film.

It may also be that the number far exceeds the ability to consume, whether it's viewing on a computer screen or printing them out.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #620
Moderator Emeritus

Just downloaded Lightroom 6 and installed on 2 computers. Took a while to do, but have each set up to access my library on an external drive.

Now Lightroom Mobile has caught my interest. Anyone using Lightroom on a mobile device?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hogan mirrorless