Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TBH, I have only used it to sync a small number of images (I don't wish to pay for Cloud Space). And only did this once, to show a friend, on my Blackberry Passport, some moon shots and sunset pictures taken with the 15--600mm lens. That was pretty handy but was an isolated instance. (Notice the "150-600 Test Shots" collection listed.)

In fact, it was so long ago (6 weeks?) that I forgot how to access that particular function. I had to search online to "relearn" the secret. What was Adobe thinking to hide the new options under the logo in the upper left (that is visible only if one has the top toolbar active.)

LR Mobile Launch.JPG

Clicking on that logo activates a drop-down menu to open Sync with Lightroom mobile, Address Lookup, and Face Detection.

But to answer your question, I don't believe I will ever use the program to process images. I need the accuracy that a large screen offers for that activity.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #622

I don't want to pay for cloud space either. I really haven't researched the mobile app much, but I get the feeling that some $ outlay is needed since it's shown as a trial on my desktop.

Like you, I wouldn't want to process on a mobile device, but it would be cool to call up some images to show someone.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #623
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's one reason why I've held off on migrating from Aperture to Lightroom.

I haven't investigated the photosharing options that Adobe offers.

But under Apple's ecosystem, I just select the images I want to share and the email addresses of the people I want to share with and if they accept, the images go into their devices.

I have only about 1000 or so images I'm sharing with iCloud Photo Streams and I didn't have to buy any more storage beyond the 5 GB that everyone gets.

Though I have heard that their storage costs are much higher than services like Dropbox and others.

I can almost as easily share on Picasa, though I'm not sure how much storage they give you.

Never really looked into Google Plus because I hate the forced social network integration.

I guess though that photo-specific services like Flickr, Smugmug and others are more popular, though I don't think they give you much storage either.

I don't share photos widely, in fact I use it as a mechanism to propagate some photos from my main library to my other devices.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I guessing that you are referring to the use of Adobe's Cloud service. First, I don't use anyone's "Cloud" except for the "free" space. I prefer to store my files locally and certainly wouldn't consider renting space. Secondly, I have around 100,000 images in my Lightroom Catalog occupying about 2 TB. (Why just since Mar 15th, I have ~1,800 images from my newest camera that takes up over 22 GB.) The cost to rent space for that would probably exceed my total annual budget.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the use of Lightroom and Cloud storage are not dependent on one another... or even that closely related.

Quote:
Along the same line... sharing files is not really a Lightroom function. LR, however, does a good job of helping that process along with its "Export" function, its "publish Services" function, and its "Book Module."

Lightroom leaves it completely up to you what you do with the images after they are processed... or, for that matter, even before .
Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #625

I'm not talking about uploading my entire library.

I don't have 100k images but I have no interest in uploading it all.

Just saying it's easy to create a stream right within Aperture to share/propagate some set of photos from each album.

I'm sure you can do something similar with Lightroom using plugins or some helper apps.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not talking about uploading my entire library.

I don't have 100k images but I have no interest in uploading it all.

Just saying it's easy to create a stream right within Aperture to share/propagate some set of photos from each album.

I'm sure you can do something similar with Lightroom using plugins or some helper apps.
I guess I am struggling with the term "stream."

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Streaming media is multimedia that is constantly received by and presented to an end-user while being delivered by a provider. The verb "to stream" refers to the process of delivering media in this manner; the term refers to the delivery method of the medium rather than the medium itself.

Live streaming, which refers to content delivered live over the Internet, requires a form of source media (e.g. a video camera, an audio interface, screen capture software), an encoder to digitize the content, a media publisher, and a content delivery network to distribute and deliver the content.
You are correct. Lightroom cannot do that. Nor would I ask it to. I use Lightroom exclusively to process my images. I, of course, share a lot of them (even most) but do it most often independent of LR.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #627

Stream is what they call it, I guess because one of the options is to keep like your last month of images sync'd automatically across devices.

I know you can export and upload separately. Just saying this way is more streamlined.

For instance, a lot of people have no problems sending images back and forth between 2 or among 3 or more applications for various stages of post processing.

So in that context, exporting and uploading separately seems trivial. But others like myself like certain things to be streamlined.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But under Apple's ecosystem, I just select the images I want to share and the email addresses of the people I want to share with and if they accept, the images go into their devices.

I have only about 1000 or so images I'm sharing with iCloud Photo Streams and I didn't have to buy any more storage beyond the 5 GB that everyone gets.

Though I have heard that their storage costs are much higher than services like Dropbox and others.

I can almost as easily share on Picasa, though I'm not sure how much storage they give you.

Never really looked into Google Plus because I hate the forced social network integration.

I guess though that photo-specific services like Flickr, Smugmug and others are more popular, though I don't think they give you much storage either.

I don't share photos widely, in fact I use it as a mechanism to propagate some photos from my main library to my other devices.
Even though I use Lightroom, I use the Apple solution for any photo streaming/sharing. I export Lightroom photos to a final format then use one of the Apple tools to share them. Straightforward.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

Here is an interesting program:

There’s a New Free Browser-Based Film Emulator

Quote:
It’s a simple web app that lets you give any photo the look of a particular film stock.

The website is powered with Javascript and can apply the emulations to photos you select. Everything is done within your browser, so you’re not actually uploading your photo to Wagner’s server.

In addition to a very long dropdown menu of different film stocks you can select, there are also sliders for adjusting brightness, contrast, vibrance, grain, and vignetting. A button at the top lets you toggle between the before and after views for your shot.
Here is that image I uploaded earlier today converted to "High Speed Infrared":

_N6A1056-Canon EOS 7D Mark II 06-09-2015 07h 38m 12s.jpg _N6A1056-Canon EOS 7D Mark II 06-09-2015 07h 38m 12s (1).jpg
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #630

RonBoyd, that is cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Thanks !
Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #631

A picture I took last night with a 10 year old Canon 5D.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #632

Awesome skies Frayne. The 5D was my first full frame camera and at the time it was light years ahead of the competition. It convinced me to move from nikon (they only had APS-C).

Speaking of switching systems, the announcement I've been waiting for has come: Sony a7R II has 42.4MP on 4K-capable full frame BSI CMOS sensor: Digital Photography Review

It's for the new Sony A7R II. It has a "back illuminated sensor" but I have no idea what exactly to expect from this sensor technology (I've read the wikipedia article). It generally sounds like a good thing...
Old 06-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #633

BSI sensors have been mostly used on phone cameras. Sony is a leading supplier of sensors for phones.

IIRC, it improves low light performance for small sensors with high megapixels.

I'm interested in 4k video but now, TVs will have HDR with 4k.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #634

Quote:
IIRC, it improves low light performance for small sensors with high megapixels.
What's not clear to me is the impact on a full size sensor. is it going to be tangible?

As far as I can tell the only BSI sensor for larger cameras than cell phones iis the Samsung NX1. The reviews suggest image quality is about the same as it's competitors but they may not be starting from the same baseline. I.e. maybe the samsung would be much worse without BSI.

I've read that BSI helps with rangefinder and tilt/shift lenses due to less sensitivity to the angle of incidence. That's good for me as I have a few T/S that I 'll probably keep.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #635

Maybe because they're pushing 42 megapixels onto the sensor.

If it delivers the low light performance of other full frame cameras with much less megapixels, it would be some feat.

I glanced through some info. 4k video at 30/25, not bad but my guess is in the next couple of years, they'll hit 4k at 60fps.

The A6000 successor should also be announced but the rumors indicate they're having problems with the 4k overheating the device.

I don't shoot a lot of video nor have a 4k TV yet but it would be an interesting feature to have.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #636

Just downloaded Lightroom CC (2015) edition. They added a dehaze feature and white/black local adjustments. However this is NOT available in Lightroom 6.1 (non-cloud):

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjou...otography.html

They are really pushing people hard to the cloud version.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #637

Or maybe away from Adobe entirely.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #638
Give me a forum ...

What would be their motivation to support a dead method of distribution? Competition rules out such a high cost procedure. Unless, of course, you, the customer, would be willing to pay a premium for it. Wait! You have already agreed to that... and that didn't make a difference. Hmmmm , the cost must be greater than I imagine.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #639

The dehaze feature is pretty neat. Here's the same photo with the only difference being the dehaze applied. Note the mountains (hills to you westerners) in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Afternoon_farm.jpg (263.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Afternoon_farm_dehaze.jpg (271.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Just looks like clarity to me - local contrast - which can be applied to distance features only, if desired, by using a mask.

One option for Adobe is to make non-CC users wait for the next major upgrade to get new features like this.

Tags
hogan mirrorless